Wyldeman

My first build

3 hours ago, Jrob7 said:

[mention]bamashooter [/mention] no. I am not currently active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nor am I. :segrin:

I’ve built a couple of Ars and modified a couple of others. I’ll give my two cents but it looks like it’s to late and you have already bought everything.

Prime Weaponry BCG you don’t say which one you bought and I could not price check the price you paid but for about the same price you could have gotten a PSA nitride BCG that is made by Toolcraft.

Aero Precision makes good stuff can’t go wrong there.

Anderson charging handle should asked on here I’ve got two surplus charging handle one could have been your for shipping. Either one probably better than the Anderson one.

Aero Precision lower kit is got to go. I would have got it with out the trigger but that’s because I use ALG- ACT most of the time.

Must have an AR wrench. You don’t say which one you got but there are a few good one out there.

Can’t say anything good or bad about Bear Creek but I prefer Faxon or Ballistic Advantage Mid length gas system is good to go.

Can’t say anything about the UTG Handguard. But others have. I only use Midwest Industries because I like their barrel nut and locking system.

I go with either a Bravo Co. or Magul butt stock but I like the wider cheek weld.

Nothing wrong with DD iron sights but I prefer flip ups and I really like the Troy battle sights but as long as you are happy.

I know nothing about Brigade Firearms so I can’t say anything about them I like Aero Precision or bravo Co,

Personally I think Aero Precision lowers are the best.

Okay wanted or not this is my two cents and if you want a flash hide and are willing to pay the shipping I’ve got a bunch of different ones and I’ll give you one.  

I’ve built a couple of Ars and modified a couple of others. I’ll give my two cents but it looks like it’s to late and you have already bought everything.
Prime Weaponry BCG you don’t say which one you bought and I could not price check the price you paid but for about the same price you could have gotten a PSA nitride BCG that is made by Toolcraft.
Aero Precision makes good stuff can’t go wrong there.
Anderson charging handle should asked on here I’ve got two surplus charging handle one could have been your for shipping. Either one probably better than the Anderson one.
Aero Precision lower kit is got to go. I would have got it with out the trigger but that’s because I use ALG- ACT most of the time.
Must have an AR wrench. You don’t say which one you got but there are a few good one out there.
Can’t say anything good or bad about Bear Creek but I prefer Faxon or Ballistic Advantage Mid length gas system is good to go.
Can’t say anything about the UTG Handguard. But others have. I only use Midwest Industries because I like their barrel nut and locking system.
I go with either a Bravo Co. or Magul butt stock but I like the wider cheek weld.
Nothing wrong with DD iron sights but I prefer flip ups and I really like the Troy battle sights but as long as you are happy.
I know nothing about Brigade Firearms so I can’t say anything about them I like Aero Precision or bravo Co,
Personally I think Aero Precision lowers are the best.
Okay wanted or not this is my two cents and if you want a flash hide and are willing to pay the shipping I’ve got a bunch of different ones and I’ll give you one.  

I appreciate the response and would possibly be interested in one of those charging handles if they prove to be much different. I imagine you guys know what you’re talking about. I know I cut a few corners here but I’m hoping everything will turn out well. I’m all good on the flash hider I think. But do please tell me what charging handles you’ve got. Shipping is cheap.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've searched and can only find one charging handle it's a Del-Ton stock handle from their Extreme316 build rifle. But if you want it just pay me shipping and I'll send it right out.  PM me your info and I'll do likewise or not your call

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've searched and can only find one charging handle it's a Del-Ton stock handle from their Extreme316 build rifle. But if you want it just pay me shipping and I'll send it right out.  PM me your info and I'll do likewise or not your call

That’s alright. I’ve got a stock normal charging handle. I thought you might have one of the Gucci ones you were just willing to let me have for shipping. No sweat. Thanks for the offer.

a15ac2f5259d351334d721afb191ba6b.jpg

Finally finished gentlemen!

Summary: this is a lot harder than it looks. Lots of respect for builders from scratch. I definitely marred up the finish on the upper a little when putting the barrel on but I learned the 2x4 in between the pin holes vise trick now so should be easier in the future. Let’s hope this barrel doesn’t suck like some have suggested it will.
The rifle feels pretty sturdy to me but what do I know. The mag catch is a little sticky and gets stuck sometimes (very rarely after lubing it and using it enough that I think I’ve worn down the catch spot.) and hell I don’t know enough to know much outside of that. It will chamber a round but I’m going to get the headspace checked as well as everything else in general to make sure I didn’t royally mess up.
I torqued the castle nut to 35ftlbs and staked it with a nail sinker punch.

A fun little problem I had when assembling the lower yesterday was that I tried to screw the buffer tube past the retainer screw, that’s a no bueno I guess because it the tube was almost stuck. I had about a 1/16th hole I had to stick my smallest screwdriver through to push down the retainer and spring and effectively release the buffer tube so that I could unscrew it to the proper length where it just covered the lower edge of the retainer, not the pin.

I feel pretty good that I really understand the rifle a lot better than most shooters because all they do is buy and shoot. I built this and I feel proud. Thanks for all the help along the way and let’s hope this gun does what it’s supposed to.

The barrel is 556 not 223 or 223 wylde, although it is from bear creek Arsenal and I stupidly bought a 1:7 twist bc I didn’t pay good enough attention. The BCG is no name but it is MPI/HPT tested, shot peened, gas keys staked, and nitride coated. Mid length gas and standard buffer weight. BCM flash hider. Everything should be good. I think lol.

Let me know what you think, good and inevitably bad as well.

I had to buy all the parts for the gun and then you would need: a vise, some wood or receiver blocks, a torque wrench (not necessary, absolutely recommended), soft hammer (brass or rubber) and punch set, rags, anti seize lube, a few screwdrivers might help and a lot of patience! A great learning experience though.

:/ total cost was about a thousand bucks.

At the very least I’ll replace the barrel later on.

That looks very nice. I hope it runs well as a reward for your work and practice in your learning experience. It will be satisfying beyond your greatests expectations when it all comes together.  Working out the bugs is sometimes needed but it's just a machine and you can triumph. I'm headed to the desert today with one of my new builds. I think I have an ammo issue not a mechanical one. I'll know in about twenty pulls of the trigger..LOL

Have fun!!!

Greg

• Like 1

Wyldeman,  any updates?  How is your rifle running?

Glad you got a lot out of your first build.  I always seem to learn something new with almost every build, myself.

Nice!!

Looks Great !

Now shoot it as much as you can, and look up some articles on how to inspect wear on and AR or ask here, and keep an eye on it.

Keep it well lubricated, especially at first. 

Let us know how it goes, be safe, and HAVE FUN. 

Wyldeman,  any updates?  How is your rifle running?

Glad you got a lot out of your first build.  I always seem to learn something new with almost every build, myself.

Thanks for asking Doc! Sorry I’m just now seeing this. Been a busy year since school started back. I finally took it to the range a few weeks ago and popped off my first few rounds! And then some more of course!

I did my best to zero it but just with irons. It didn’t seem as accurate as most rifles I’ve shot. I imagine it has to do with the barrel I cheaped out on but I am going to get a decent magnifier optic and try to do some further investigation.
I would also have to say that my hand guard came a little loose which is to be expected as it isn’t of the greatest quality either. I am looking into another free float guard that has better securement than the tooth lock washer and small nut on each side that “holds” this one in place.
Any recommendation on an optic would be greatly appreciated and thanks again for asking about the rifle.

It is also worth noting that the prior problem with the mag catch has been resolved. I had to file it down with a bastiage file. Now it’s smooth cycling mags.

A bit late to the party, but I wanted to comment on your new build.  Congrats on a fine looking AR. 

I'm new to the forum and also just built my first AR-15 around the same time frame as you (~May 2021).  Are you still updating your AR?  If complete, I  would like to see a picture of your new friend.

I guess I'll be posting description and pictures as soon as the remaining parts arrive.  I seem to have done a few more upgrades than anticipated.  Some minor changes & adjustments to better fit my body and eyes.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:57 AM, Wyldeman said:

:doh: [mention]bamashooter [/mention] meant to mention I am interested in putting on another optic to co-witness with the irons. Not sure what I want yet or what is good exactly.

Depends on what you want the rifle for. I lot of guys like the 1 to 4, 6, or 8X scopes with an illuminated center dot or chevron.

At 1X it acts much like I red dot sight, but you can crank it up for longer distances. When I get another AR, I would like to equip it with such a sight. As it is right now, I am running red dots on my rifles. Using "peep sights" all my life, it is easy for me to trust the dot, just like trusting the front blade. I can keep most shots on center mass out to 200 yards, but then again, no one was shooting back at me. My eyes are not getting any younger, and I should really get a variable 1-6x or

1-8x scope. You should see what my Veteran SIL can do with metal sights, which are essentually peep sights. More depends on the guy behind the trigger and how he was trained, and how much he practices. 

What is the status of your build ? 

[mention]GeeDub [/mention] hey man. Awesome to hear that you have also completed a build for the first time recently. I’d love to see a picture of your rifle as well. Here are a few more of mine. bf98a6be3e338933f7f4655245ad7a7c.jpg
855b865b90d56152d70d9f0ae6fbd4bb.jpg
47b5318901d86dedb5cd85d8e9de626b.jpg
8c186fe555dc6384d10d54569cfee22e.jpg