Wyldeman

My first build

[mention]Retcop [/mention] thanks for the recommendations on sights. I am pretty interested in a 1-4x probably. I need to research brands some more and find one for a decent price. I also will have to 1/3 cowitness with the iron sights ive got. The DD irons I have come up pretty high, about 1 3/8 inches.

Regarding an update. The barrel is pretty shat I have concluded. I think every other part of my build is solid enough but this rifle is not very accurate. Here’s a picture of the target when I zeroed it. Zeroed at about 100 yards. 583da27cf92e7b6dd687a3673825b190.jpg

The strays are probably just from when I tried rapid fire for accuracy/fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah and one thing I guess I could do instead of getting an optic to get a better feel for the accuracy of the rifle is just to use some binoculars to check where my shots are landing without having to walk out there every shot.

It's gonna take a decent pair of binoculars to see those holes at 100 yards.  I'd consider a spotting scope to add to my range gear.  Probably one of the best things I bought after I got started.

Greg 

• Like 1

It's gonna take a decent pair of binoculars to see those holes at 100 yards.  I'd consider a spotting scope to add to my range gear.  Probably one of the best things I bought after I got started.

Greg 

Good point. Thanks for the heads up. Would it be more practical to just purchase a good 1-4 optic then? I would think a good spotter scope costs about the same.

Good point. Thanks for the heads up. Would it be more practical to just purchase a good 1-4 optic then? I would think a good spotter scope costs about the same.

Your not gonna see your holes in the paper with a 1-4 either. I have a 1-8 and it’s tough at 100 yards. Spotting scope is probably the way to go.

Sean

• Like 1

I'd scope the gun first. Look At a SIMMONS spotting scope that is good bang for the buck. I believe I have one in the garage and I'll get some specifics. I bought Bausch & Lomb 15x60 variable back in 79. It lost its seal and grew some mold inside..lol. It still does OK at 100.

I bought a KONUS that is so big Mt. Palomar uses it for a back up. Physically it is just too big. I bought it off the net never handling one. Talk about overcompensation for other failings!!  I probably will buy a smaller one for XMAS that will be more useful.

When I work up loads I routinely run scopes between 24 and 36 power so I don't need the spotter. I have found that at 14 power spotting those 22 holes is not a big deal. I also don't use "real" formal targets. I shoot red dot stickers on regular copy paper. I avoid shooting the dots wanting the group in the white for easy spotting.

On irons I shoot at 50 yards initially to rule out crappy ammo and then move out to 100. If I can't hit at 50 I don't think I'll get better at 100. In prison I always had fun coaching the once a year shooter coworkers. A full size target at 100 was safe from many of them.lol

Greg

I'd scope the gun first. Look At a SIMMONS spotting scope that is good bang for the buck. I believe I have one in the garage and I'll get some specifics. I bought Bausch & Lomb 15x60 variable back in 79. It lost its seal and grew some mold inside..lol. It still does OK at 100.

I bought a KONA that is so big Mt. Palomar uses it for a back up. Physically it is just too big. I bought it off the net never handling one. Talk about overcompensation for other failings!!  I probably will buy a smaller one for XMAS that will be more useful.

When I work up loads I routinely run scopes between 24 and 36 power so I don't need the spotter. I have found that at 14 power spotting those 22 holes is not a big deal. I also don't use "real" formal targets. I shoot red dot stickers on regular copy paper. I avoid shooting the dots wanting the group in the white for easy spotting.

On irons I shoot at 50 yards initially to rule out crappy ammo and then move out to 100. If I can't hit at 50 I don't think I'll get better at 100. In prison I always had fun coaching the once a year shooter coworkers. A full size target at 100 was safe from many of them.lol

Greg

Wow idk I guess I just overestimated the general accuracy of AR 15’s. I assumed since the military uses m4’s and they espouse an accuracy of up to 500m that my 16” ar should be pretty accurate at 100 yards, which by the looks of the paper I posted and the hits I was getting is not true at the moment.

The only other rifles I’ve really had experience with an AR that some ex military guy built for my family and I could hit a 5 in steel plate at 100 yards pretty consistently while standing with irons. The other rifle is my 243 which I can hit a 5 in steel at 300 yds pretty consistently.

I really feel like I’ve either been misguided by firing really high quality guns otherwise or that I just really messed up with my barrel selection. You shoot competitively though GL, I imagine you are quite the marksmen and builder.

Is consistent 100 yard shots really out of the question?

There are a lot of things that could be an issue of combination of other than the barrel.  Ammo make, type, weight and so forth.  The military says that the M4 will hit a man sized target at 500 yards, I can tell you that most of the soldiers I know cant do that, that is why we only qualify out to 300.  The Marines take is a bit more seriously and put way more time into it, and the results show.  In the Army we zero iron sights at 25 meters and consistency is 3 shots covered by your thumb.  My standard was always covering it with a dime.  Also most iron sights are set up for click is about 1/4 inch at 25 yards.  That’s one inch at 100 of course so if you were making adjustments thinking that 4 clicks will bring you up one inch it will throw it up a bit more than that.  I have an AR that will shoot a clover leaf hole at 100 yards with a 24x optic with the right ammo when I am having a good day, and most days are not that good.  If you are running irons or a dot I would come back in to 25 yards and work a zero from there.  

[mention]redbarron06 [/mention] that sounds like a plan. My nearest range is like 45 minutes away so it’s a pain but when I get back out there, I will attempt to zero in again at 25 and then update on the accuracy. After some reading yesterday I did also conclude that it could have been due to the ammo I’m using as well. I was shooting 55 grain and my barrel is a 1 to 7 twist. So that could explain a degree of the inaccuracy.

Regardless of that, I’ll start back at the basics.

Red's post above is very well thought out and spot on. He's a guy that I would look to when it comes to application of your platform. He is well versed in many avenues of shooting and he and I had quite the talk when he visited Arizona a couple years ago. A good man and resource for sure.

I'm a bit of a shooter in various things. The last few years I have focused more on getting rifles, mostly AR's, to shoot well. I've been blessed with a long life of experiences in the shooting world and got to rub elbows  with guys/girls I would consider some of the best shooters in the world both on the range and in the lounge after the match. I have a decent foundation in handgun usage from slow and long range to fast and furious belly button level stuff. I got to teach in my career with the Feds  on standard stuff and Marksman/Observer levels. 

I'm certainly no world beater as a lot of my interest is in the ballistic area of these guns. It seems I always have a gunsmith or two in my back pocket if I want something new and have reaped the harvest of my networking at an almost shameless level. Now as I grow older I've been focusing on passing some of my knowledge and experiences on. Before RETCOP pops in I am working on a book for the past several years. Perhaps this winter will be a big push as it appears life's challenges have been decreasing lately. John, RETCOP, is going to do the proof reading/editing for me BTW.

I wish you well young man and between all the other great guys and me chiming in I suspect your plans will come to fruition sooner rather than later.

Greg

• Like 1