claurio21

Ar pistol Worth it?

I am currently considering building an Ar pistol 556 not sure 7.5" barrel or 10. Im sure its been discussed b4 but any new info on is it worth it and which barrel is best? Opinions? Ballistics? Thanks. 

I am currently considering building an Ar pistol 556 not sure 7.5" barrel or 10. Im sure its been discussed b4 but any new info on is it worth it and which barrel is best? Opinions? Ballistics? Thanks. 

I can’t speak to best barrel or ballistics but I believe the consensus from most of the guys on here is to stay with a 10.5 barrel at minimum for best performance. If I am remembering wrong someone will be along shortly to correct me.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@WhiteGTDropTop, I agree with your statement regarding 10.5" being the minimum for ballistic performance, and for that reason, a lot of people go up to 11.5", generally for suppressed, or 12.5" for the slight increase in ballistic performance. The AR pistol is definitely worth it, for sure, but the 7.5" barrels despite being very maneuverable, are basically incredibly loud, fire-breathing beasts that are good out to about 100yds, with no guarantee of your projectile performing as it is intended.

Edited by SouthTXGunner23
  • Like 1

What will be the primary role(s) of this short barreled pistol ? 

For what reason(s) are you contemplating going down to 7.5 inches or 10.5 inches ? 

Don't be shy---wanting one because you simply think they are cool is a valid reason imho,

especially if you have other AR's that can make better use of the 5.56 round.

One of the advantages of not being Military we can use various ammo that will make the 5.56 more effective

than standard Military rounds combined with super short barrels.  What I have read that except for highly specialized uses,

the Ninja Warrior type dudes and the researchers think that the 10.5 is about the shortest you should go given all the pros and cons. 

I'm no "operator" and my usage does not include getting in and out of cars, trucks, helicopters, or jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, so I find that the 16 " barrel works fine with me, and with 64 grain Speer soft points loaded in it, the reduction in velocity compared to the 20" is of no consequence.  If I really wanted a 7.5 or 8 inch barreled AR platform pistol, I would take a look at the 300 blackout, but that again depends on how your are going to use it. Some subsonic ammo and an 8 inch suppressed 300blkout  would be the cat's pajamas. There are lots of guys here who have them for defensive use, but I get if if you don't want to have to build up a supply of another caliber. 

Good luck with your project !   Please keep us updated.  

I was just gathering info. Longer seemed better for ballistics but didnt know if there were downsides like front dips easy when shooting or not great cycling. Ive had 16" for over 10years but first time i thought about getting pistol. Just dont want to jump and regret a lil research. Thanks everyone. 

I was just gathering info. Longer seemed better for ballistics but didnt know if there were downsides like front dips easy when shooting or not great cycling. Ive had 16" for over 10years but first time i thought about getting pistol. Just dont want to jump and regret a lil research. Thanks everyone. 

Don’t hesitate just to buy something for fun. I just bought a cheap Foxtrot mike AR9 with a 5” barrel. Probably won’t be good for much over 25-50 yards but should be fun too shoot and mess around with. If it ends up being reliable enough it could turn into a home defense weapon.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what the laws are where you are, but one reason that I built a pistol was because in my state, if you have a CPL you can then legally have a loaded AR pistol in your vehicle. A loaded carbine is a DNR violation, and they'll screw you bad for that.

• Like 1

If it were me, I would build it in .300 Blackout. The ballistics are far more impressive at that barrel length than a 5.56. 

6 hours ago, claurio21 said:

If I wanted something really short I would go with 300 Blkout if you can lay in the ammo, as I said in my first post.

I am presuming it's main role is self defence or hunting, since you are concerned about the ballistics.  

I had no use for the 300 blkout, until I wanted a short pistol.  You'll miss the huge fireball and concussion of the real short 5.56, though.   :laugh:.

Welcome to the Board!

• Like 1

I went the SBR Route

Stag Arms 7½ Inch Barrel.

:segrin:

SBR.jpg

• Like 1

I am in Ga. Yes home defense purposes. I have a .223 upper and acquired a bunch of reloads that i was told are .223 but I am thinking ther are 556. So instead of poss hurting my .223 fig id just add 556 pistol to use ammo. 

@MontanaLon and @Retcop both hit the nail on the head!!! If you want to go shorter than 10.5" and still perform, 300BLK is your best friend, able to go down to a wee 4.75" barrel and still see very impressive accuracy out to 100yds, and I say this from experience. The barrel was a "Mr.Blonde" 4.75" 300BLK barrel and it shot like a champ!!! However, the 300BLK round was designed to utilize all of its powder charge in an 8.2" barrel, which I'd say would be your minimum, unless the AR pistol is just a novelty/range toy, then go down to 4.75" by all means. Did I mention it suppressed extremely well too? The main thing to keep in mind with the 300BLK round is its cost to shoot, especially nowadays more so than ever, so long as you're able to foot that inherit cost, 300BLK is a blast to shoot, suppressed or unsuppressed, and being a 30 caliber projectile is great for home defense as well. Unfortunately I like to shoot too much for the 300BLK uppers I've built to be practical, for the time being, but best believe if circumstances change for the better and it's more plausible, I'd build another 300BLK in a second!!!

• Like 1

300 is pretty sweet. Had one for a while. definitely a bigger hole. But from day 1, perhaps age being a factor, and my grandson ARing now, I never trusted keeping it apart from my other ARs. Sold it and 2400 rnds weeks ago. Regarding ballistics of short-barreled 5.56s, I really see no issue at distances under 100m. And that's with basic ammo. I've shot big snapping turtles, skunks, armadillos with my 8.5" pistol. Some were just a typical hit and others were like a bomb hit 'em. Sure there is data which indicates you just don't have the velocity and stopping power under 10.5", etc. That's primarily based on ballistics gel which I've never been a big fan of. Put multiple rounds in a body hitting organs, bones, etc and more likely than not you have diminished the threat to the point you can walk up and stick him. I now anxiously await feedback from the resident expert. :cool:

9 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

300 is pretty sweet. Had one for a while. definitely a bigger hole. But from day 1, perhaps age being a factor, and my grandson ARing now, I never trusted keeping it apart from my other ARs. Sold it and 2400 rnds weeks ago. Regarding ballistics of short-barreled 5.56s, I really see no issue at distances under 100m. And that's with basic ammo. I've shot big snapping turtles, skunks, armadillos with my 8.5" pistol. Some were just a typical hit and others were like a bomb hit 'em. Sure there is data which indicates you just don't have the velocity and stopping power under 10.5", etc. That's primarily based on ballistics gel which I've never been a big fan of. Put multiple rounds in a body hitting organs, bones, etc and more likely than not you have diminished the threat to the point you can walk up and stick him. I now anxiously await feedback from the resident expert. :cool:

Let me get right on this...

You actually duplicated some complaints from the guys who actually worked in the sand box. 

Not being able to have much faith in terminal ballistics, they were automatically puttin 3 or 4 rounds into every bad guy they could.  

Kinda takes away the main argument for 5.56, which is the ammo is so much lighter than 7.62X51, but you lose that if most everyone you are sending to allah is needing 3 or 4 doses to get there. 

• Like 1

Speaking only for myself, the last firearm on Planet Earth that I would purchase would be an AR pistol. 

Matt