dig

AGB control extension?

Has anybody seen/read about an extension to the gas screw on an AGB?  Specifically I'm thinking a hex rod that would rotate the screw on the AGB, extending forward past the front of the handguard, terminating in a knob of some sort to facilitate fast and easy adjustment of the AGB (specifically between suppressed/unsuppressed settings).  In my mind, it could mount to the top picatinny rail OR clamp to the barrel (to preserve true free float).  I have tried searching for something like this to no avail.  Gas blocks I'm currently using are either SA (piston kit) or JP adjustable gas block.

***I'm aware I could just get a shorter handguard.  I like the setups I currently run, just looking to get easier adjustments.

Thanks!

If no one comes up with an off the shelf product, that seems like some thing that would be easy to fabricate, or have fabricated.   Sorry I can't help with an extension itself.   

This could be like the start of Magpul...      :segrin:

• Like 1

Sounds like I found a business partner!  That's a good point.  I could probably fab it myself.  Probably start with a clamp on gas block drilled out.  Dang, now I'm excited!

Never mind.

Edited by bamashooter

I don't think threading a longer rod to extend out the front or the side, as on many of mine, would be a big chore.  Of course if you ran exposed blocks  it would be a moot point. I have both exposed and un-exposed front and side screws.

Greg

Just now, GLShooter said:

I don't think threading a longer rod to extend out the front or the side, as on many of mine, would be a big chore.  Of course if you ran exposed blocks  it would be a moot point. I have both exposed and un-exposed front and side screws.

Greg

I didn't know they made side-screw AGB's until I started researching this idea.  If it lined up with a M-Lok or vent hole in the handguard that would be a great way to adjust quickly.  I really would like it to be tool-less though, something like a SCAR.

I seem to see more side adjustable versions than the front type. MY JP's are all side adjust and I have maybe three or four other brands of the type.  I have one or two of what IIIRC were Joe Bob's but am not certain.  Once I get my suppressor I'll be more concerned as once tuned I do very little adjustment on all of mine.

Greg

8 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

I seem to see more side adjustable versions than the front type. MY JP's are all side adjust and I have maybe three or four other brands of the type.  I have one or two of what IIIRC were Joe Bob's but am not certain.  Once I get my suppressor I'll be more concerned as once tuned I do very little adjustment on all of mine.

Greg

Agreed.  I only have one can at the moment, so it gets shuffled a fair amount.  Hence the need for more frequent adjustments.  Once I finish my 300 BO or get another can, should be less adjustments.  My 308 will cycle with or without the can, but my 6.5 grendel gets way overgassed when the can is on it unless it gets dialed down.  The ironic thing is the gas blowback is annoying on it, and it's a piston gun.  Go figure.

Your going to need a detent or way to hold that setting......all my adjustables have a set screw to lock it. 

7 minutes ago, towtruck said:

Your going to need a detent or way to hold that setting......all my adjustables have a set screw to lock it. 

Very few of mine have a locking screw. On those that are just a single screw the RTV holds them in place very well and I have not experienced any movement on the adjusting screw.  That is the method JP specs out.

Greg

20 minutes ago, towtruck said:

None of my current adjustable gas blocks have set screws.  There is a detent for each click.  I have never had one move.

27 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

Very few of mine have a locking screw. On those that are just a single screw the RTV holds them in place very well and I have not experienced any movement on the adjusting screw.  That is the method JP specs out.

Greg

12 minutes ago, dig said:

None of my current adjustable gas blocks have set screws.  There is a detent for each click.  I have never had one move.

I guess I'm out of the loop    :SPEC:

My first one was single screw and I've just gone with them of course I'm good friends with two companies I use. I go with another version when my guys are between production rubs and out.

I've never had the extra bucks for the click type and some of those have a history of getting carbon locked.

That RTV is your friend..lol

Greg