hlhneast

Just to Prove I am Alive

I have a new distraction in my life.  Three weeks ago I finally found and bought a 1990 Jeep Wrangler, possibly the next all consuming disease.  Just to keep my BRD in check, I bought an ALG ACT from Right to Bear, the first one I have seen since the panic started.  I then opened an email from Primary.  They had some cheapie 36" carbine gun cases so I bought two and a $10 rifle sling.  I feel better now.

• Like 3

Welcome to the club. I love my Jeep, had one since I was 16. They're great. Just remember... It's never done.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

I am still around too. I have not done much of anything gun-related except selling four of my ARs in the past 6 weeks. I am putting some that money into my 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I have already did a 2" lift a couple years ago. I upgraded the wheels (XD818 HEIST) a couple weeks ago. This coming week, I get the following installed: CORE 4X4 trackbar and control arms, POWERSTOP performance brake kit, and a Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust system. I am still trying to sell on more of my ARs (20" A4 type with A1 type wood furniture). I have even considered selling my WWII weapons and affiliated items. Anyhow, that is what I have been up to lately. 

Edited by TackleberryMCS
  • Like 1

I am still around too. I have not done much of anything gun-related except selling four of my ARs in the past 6 weeks. I am putting some that money into my 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I have already did a 2" lift a couple years ago. I upgraded the wheels (XD818 HEIST) a couple weeks ago. This coming week, I get the following installed: CORE 4X4 trackbar and control arms, POWERSTOP performance brake kit, and a Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust system. I am still trying to sell on more of my ARs (20" A4 type with A1 type wood furniture). I have even considered selling my WWII weapons and affiliated items. Anyhow, that is what I have been up to lately. 
I have the same mods on my tj ha ha. Core 4x4 front and rear track bar, magnaflo complete exhaust (hooker header though), bds 2 inch lift, power stop front brake kit, etc.

• Like 1

Jeeps are interesting, the first vehicle I drove. It was delivered to the ranch, brand new, in a wood crate in 1950. Surplus sales by Sears & Roebuck as I recall. OD with canvas seats, steel rod skeleton top frame, canvas top, with swing doors, back panel zipped in, did not last long, hand crank wipers, wood block hood banging stops, side spring loaded hood locks, spare gas can.. 2-50 AC. When I sat on 3 big Sears catalogues, I could see over the bottom of the windshield and pull a cow trailer across the pasture. I would mow pastures with the Farm-all the same way. Learned to drive a jeep before I learned to ride a bicycle :-).  Pulled many a cow out of a ditch with that Jeep.

The Only Jeep I'm interested in is MY  69 CJ-5  and wouldn't mind finding a CJ-6 like the picture below . LEG ROOM :segrin:1968JeepCJ6_01_1000.jpg

The reason I'm Not fond of the newer stuff ,is WHO makes them and their reliability issues !. MY CJ-5 , with a Small tool box wire duct tape hose clamps extra oil , I can Limp home or back to the trailer :thumb:. Also because I failed to Win this Beast from Diesel Brothers :facepalm:

lighter

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 12:25 AM, Thebiochemist said:

Welcome to the club. I love my Jeep, had one since I was 16. They're great. Just remember... It's never done.

This one is about number 5 for me.  I had a 1964 Rhino Gladiator with a 60's model stepside bed on it I rescued from a field.  I did a frame off CJ7 with a 304 and a fiberglass body.  My last one was also a '90 with a 4.2 6cyl.  It had a Weber carb from the PO so I stripped out all the solenoids, computer and the associated sensors and wiring following the wiring diagram in the service manual.  I intend to mod this one over time along the lines of what I was going to do with the last '90.  First is an Explorer 8.8 rear axle with limited slip and disc brakes and eventually a 4.3 Vortec V6.

The new to me '90 came with a 4cyl which means it came with 4:10 gears from the factory so I will match the 8.8 to the D30.  The PO bought a new soft top, new seats and new tires.  That saves me quite a bit of money.  All the Wranglers I looked at in the same price range all needed some of these things.  Yeah, the 4cyl isnt the fastest torque monster around but when it dies, the V6 will be the ticket.  I actually looked at one Wrangler already modded exactly the way I wanted.  Done by a machinist, it was impressive but at the last minute, it wouldnt start.  Not knowing exactly how he had done all his work, I had to pass to not start behind the curve.  I hated it because I had worked a helluva deal on it and extra parts he had laying around.

So, I may not be around alot in the future here but know I am still suffering from BRD and now have an additional disease!  LOL!!

11 hours ago, TackleberryMCS said:

Dang Professor, I didnt know you had an additional addiction!  And selling off some of your family, I know it is just as serious as mine.We may have the same long run goals of a solid go anywhere bug out vehicle or just want something to go to the beach and fish.  Either way, its nice to know we share another passion.  Good luck on your mods and hopefully selling off your children a little at a time wont be too painful.  I may endure the same separation anxiety soon.  I have my favorites I wont part with, one being my A2 you helped me build and two or three others.  Right now, thinning the herd may be prudent.

Take care my brother!

5 hours ago, hlhneast said:

Dang Professor, I didnt know you had an additional addiction!  And selling off some of your family, I know it is just as serious as mine.We may have the same long run goals of a solid go anywhere bug out vehicle or just want something to go to the beach and fish.  Either way, its nice to know we share another passion.  Good luck on your mods and hopefully selling off your children a little at a time wont be too painful.  I may endure the same separation anxiety soon.  I have my favorites I wont part with, one being my A2 you helped me build and two or three others.  Right now, thinning the herd may be prudent.

Take care my brother!

I did the same thing several years ago when I bought a Hummer H3. I wanted to makes some mods, but had to have the cash to do it. In that event, I sold off some ARs to fund the project. It turned out really well. My goal is to have a very useful utilitarian vehicle that not only looks good, but is functional as well. I have always had a habit of making any vehicle mine by making it a bit different form others that are around.

Here is the Jeep as it sits right now.

tEGFCmZ.jpg

Here is the H3 I had.

aii47Dn.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Steve. FYI, I just ordered a set of JBA Offroad upper control arms for the GC. :)

3 hours ago, TackleberryMCS said:

Hey Steve. FYI, I just ordered a set of JBA Offroad upper control arms for the GC. :)

i really looked at the GCs before I bought my Yukon a couple years ago thinking I would do a lift and a few other mods.  The V8s intrigued me but I figured fuel prices at some point would skyrocket and I couldnt afford to drive it.  Enter Joe Biden.  My Wrangler is a 4cyl but after it pukes up, its going to get a Vortec V6.  I want to keep the fuel injection, it should be fairly comparable to the 4cyl I hope.  The 4cyl is still pretty strong, I pulled the plugs today and they were clean so no oil burning.  In the 3 weeks I have owned it I might have had a chance to drive it 80 miles so it may last a long time, lol.  I dont get out much.  The PO bought a soft top for hard half doors and soft uppers but had neither.  I got a set of full hard doors but they dont fit the soft top.  Sheesh.  My YJ sits under a cover because it has no door windows.

Keep an eye out over your way for a set of half hard doors for me at something south of $500.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hlhneast said:

i really looked at the GCs before I bought my Yukon a couple years ago thinking I would do a lift and a few other mods.  The V8s intrigued me but I figured fuel prices at some point would skyrocket and I couldnt afford to drive it.  Enter Joe Biden.  My Wrangler is a 4cyl but after it pukes up, its going to get a Vortec V6.  I want to keep the fuel injection, it should be fairly comparable to the 4cyl I hope.  The 4cyl is still pretty strong, I pulled the plugs today and they were clean so no oil burning.  In the 3 weeks I have owned it I might have had a chance to drive it 80 miles so it may last a long time, lol.  I dont get out much.  The PO bought a soft top for hard half doors and soft uppers but had neither.  I got a set of full hard doors but they dont fit the soft top.  Sheesh.  My YJ sits under a cover because it has no door windows.

Keep an eye out over your way for a set of half hard doors for me at something south of $500.

I was really wanting a HEMI powered GC, but no nice ones were to be had for the cash I had. I ended up with the 3.7L V6. Although not a V8, it still works for me and it was in great shape. It had been well taken care of.

33 minutes ago, TackleberryMCS said:

it was in great shape. It had been well taken care of.

Thats all that matters really.  my 30yr old Wrangler has 147,XXX on it and still runs strong.   New radiator and a fresh tranny rebuild, new tires, soft top and seats.  It has some needs, the windshield frame is rusty but I have the replacement in hand, just needs paint and I will take it to a glass shop to pull and reinstall the glass.  I would do it but I dont wanna break it.  I figure it will be cheaper in the long run to let a professional handle it.  Other little things like burned out dash bulbs and I need a real antenna, the 30cal cartridge looks cool but dont pick up squat.  Oh yeah, and some door windows, lol.

Your GC is shaping up well and the H3 looked pretty bad azz too.  One of these nice days I will remember to take a pic or two of the Wrangler before I put it back to bed.  I need some before and after shots.  It isnt the purtiest thing but I like it.

• Like 1

Look forward to seeing more pics of that old Wrangler. I wish I had the cash and the room for a nice old CJ5 or CJ7.