AR15Armory.com

Cavalry draw

Take any gun and holster and toss it on your left side and try it out. It’s eye opening to say the least. Retention straps will trip you up so only try it with a holster that you only need to pull the gun up with. 

I am going g to keep practicing until I perfect it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought and received my Mernickle  conceal carry performance series holster from Dillon for the Blackhawk 45. Very nice piece of leather about the same feel and quality as the Mitch Rosen I have for another gun. It's a stiffened black leather with no retention strap. . I have been playing with it and right side carry is standard with it. The butt of the big gun does print a tad from the rear under just a T shirt. Cross draw position it prints like crazy. Where it shines is in that reverse position I have been playing with. With the holster at 9:oclock I can sit down and the gun does not hit the seat and does not print out the front as the butt is behind my arm. Standing with it at 9 the butt is just ahead of my arm and the butt has a slight print. When standing a simple slide of the holster to the 8:oclock position puts the butt under my arm and the gun disappears. Sitting at 8 the hammer hits the seat a bit. So, a quick slide between 8 and 9 lets me stand or sit with the big gun and it's not seen under a T shirt. The belt loop on my pants has enough room to let the holster move just enough. 

I have been practicing my draw from the left and it's working pretty good. I decided to draw and cock the hammer with my left cavalry style with my trigger finger ahead of the trigger guard. Once the support hand gets a grip the trigger finger goes inside the guard. With the double action gun I'm not cocking the hammer but may start doing it just to be consistent. 

I now need to get to the range and practice live fire left handed and my draws with three guns from the left. This has been a fun adventure getting my left hand in the game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rampy said:

Very cool, I’ve always heard great things about Mernickle holsters & it’s great seeing what you think of them & how your working they this carry procedure 

The holster scared me at first as the gun looked like it would not fit. It went in up to the cylinder and stopped. Just a firm push drove it home the first time. Now it's better and has really good retention. I built my signature Jean pocket cover for it this morning and everything is working well. I am reclined in my easy chair with the gun under my left arm now. The hammer is just touching the soft chair in the back and the butt of the gun is under my arm out of sight. Very comfortable sitting this way. 

I'm on the hunt for a new belt now as mine is getting at the end of it's life. I have another thread on that here.

• Like 1

I left the house at 5:00 am this morning wearing the Blackhawk 45 backwards on my left hip. Drove up to hunting grounds with no issue and shot for three hours sitting in my swivel chair...no issues. I swung by my range on the way home from pdog shooting and practiced my draw and fire left handed, cavalry twist draw. I played around with an empty gun until I was set on a system of steps. I tried drawing and cocking at the same time I pulled the gun out and my holster has just enough grip to not let the cylinder spin freely for a clean draw and cock stroke. So I changed it up a little and after some live fire I realized the best place to cock the hammer is on the twist when my hand is close to my body. It does two things....first, the gun is pointed  at the ground 3' away at 11:o'clock when the cock is complete and second, if a round is a little sticky in the gun having my hand close to my body gives me good leverage to thumb it past the stiff spot. 

After the cock it's getting the support hand on the gun as my trigger finger gets inside the trigger guard. I had to play with my grip a little until I did not need to re-adjust it before firing. I had 50 rounds to shoot and I did them all one at a time from the holster. 

For my first left handed range session I didn't do too bad. I was shooting at a 6" ball and never left a 12" circle with the rounds. I had to shag down the ball a few times and get it back within 25' as I was knocking it a good distance out. I need lots more lefty practice and I need to incorporate the second and third shots. 

What I learned about the 45 Colt in the Ruger is it's a big gun and hiding it is never going to be easy. If I get it just right it hides under just a T shirt if I don't bend or reach too much. Sitting it disappears and is very comfy. Under a T shirt with a flannel shirt over that is ideal. It's gone from all view that way.

Next trip I will bring the 45 and a 22lr in single action. I want something a little cheaper to shoot to practice the follow up rounds and just getting the muscle memory set. Practice with my aim, draw, cocking the hammer.....I need to do it all a whole bunch more but after one session with live rounds, lefty cavalry, I'm good with what I have come up with.....Pull gun up, bring arm forward, start twist as I cock hammer, finish cocking before the twist is done, bring it up and meet the gun with my support hand as the trigger finger gets inside guard, aim and bang. Rinse and repeat. . 

• Like 1

I have watched a few fast draw videos and while I do not wish to be a fast draw some of their techniques are pretty helpful.   For instance, gripping the butt in a way as you draw your thumb is on the hammer and once cocked your thumb slips off the side of the hammer and takes the grip. Also completing the thumbing when the gun is pointed forward at the target. 

I have been practicing more and can now draw and have the gun cocked and pointed at the target in the low position at my hip just in front of me. I was drawing with my trigger finger on the outside of the guard and trying to remember just where to put it each time as too much grip on the guard and I would have to readjust my hand. Too little on the guard and my finger would fall into the guard. I now put the end of my finger against the inner edge of the guard and once drawn the thumb slips off the hammer and the finger goes into the guard nicely. 

Little tweaks here and there. I never would have guessed my left hand could this.  What is cool is that I'm cross eye dominant so finding the sites are easy as I always use my left eye anyway...I trained from a very young age to shoot right handed left eyed so there is no additional learning going on now.

Edit, my gun is not a fast draw gun and either is the holster. Although I can start to cock the gun very quickly during the draw as the cylinder comes free fairly fast. But, not fast enough to practice rolling the hand back and using the hammer to pull the gun out in the draw. I'm after a grip that lets me thumb it in a way the thumb falls off the hammer as I grip. I'm going for a technique that is as fast as this combo can be and as safe as it can be as well...no firing while the cylinder gap is near my body kind of stupid stuff....just a clean quick draw that is repeatable. I'm also practicing right handed to have the same hold as on the left. 

• Like 1

Saw a video where Steven Crowder )louder with crowder) some conservative journalist was saying he has had lots of death threats and such & even a attempt or 2 on him along with being physically attacked....

He was wearing a shoulder holder with a revolver of some kind, could not make it out, not saying you should explore this, just that I found it interesting

I thought about a shoulder rig and quickly decided against even trying one......I would have to change the way I dress.....that is not going to happen.   I have been practicing more and getting pretty good left handed.......my goal is to be able to wear any of my revolvers on the left when I need to for comfort and then swap back when I get where I'm going or finish what I'm doing.  The fun part is learning how to do it all left handed and seeing how easy it has become.  I don't know why but packing that big 45 makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.  And sporting the Colt on the right and the SP101 on the left with a speed loader for each on the belt has me really liking it.......it's all for practice to swap hands and guns to learn by feel what I have in my hand......just more options in carry style and gun choice along with gaining a second shooting hand. Who knows, maybe I will start doing double draws next for giggles. 

In reality though it's just for practice and my gun will be on the right where it belongs 99 percent of the time.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are getting a great grasp on the process. The shoulder holster is great in the right climate and the right employment. In Oklahoma I used one in the winter occasionally carrying a 1911/HP in a Jackass rig or a Model 29 in a Safariland rig. I wore suits that hid the 1911 well and the 44 was packed under winter coats.

Now I will use an IWB set up. I don't like dressing like Joe Sh.. The Rag Man but will. I love it when I wear a suit and that is very infrequently.

If I spent the time on the road like you do the LH carry would be a definite option. Thank you for sharing this alternative approach.

Greg

2 hours ago, Retcop said:

After watching some videos, I understand better, and think you are onto something, TT. 

Then I got to this one. I shall leave it without comment. 

I have to cringe a little after that video......I'll admit I watched with the sound off so I have no way of knowing why he draws like that other than my assumption it's just for show. Spinning and rolling a revolver goes against everything ...I'll leave it at that. 

I am in control, take one grip from holster to firing, never have my finger in the trigger guard until firing, and never point the gun at myself. Those videos are entertaining and of all the one's I watched I was able to pick up a few good hints....but not this one...strictly for show. 

21 hours ago, towtruck said:

I have to cringe a little after that video......I'll admit I watched with the sound off so I have no way of knowing why he draws like that other than my assumption it's just for show. Spinning and rolling a revolver goes against everything ...I'll leave it at that. 

I am in control, take one grip from holster to firing, never have my finger in the trigger guard until firing, and never point the gun at myself. Those videos are entertaining and of all the one's I watched I was able to pick up a few good hints....but not this one...strictly for show. 

No criticism of the calvary draw was intended. Done properly, I don't see any safety issues at all, and since it is your desire to carry revolvers, if there is a good way to conceal one, or to conceal two, that is great. The video made me cringe, too, I thought the guy was funny...sort of. 

Like some say, the fastest reload is a second gun ! Kind of like Clint Smith carringing two full size 1911's. 

His thinking is if he needs a backup gun, he wants at least as effective of a gun as his primary weapon, if not more so, not a pea shooter. 

Good luck fine tuning your skills. Would love to see your video. 

Shoot what you like and like what you shoot, brother !

I have been wanting to try a cross draw holster for long car trips...

John