AR15Armory.com

Anyone use Crossbreed belts?

I'm looking at this one for the buckle.....no holes means I can adjust it better for when I have different guns on me and as my waist line changes a bit (I'm actually losing weight right now and don't want loose holes to work with in a standard belt)

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/belts/crossover-gun-belt.html?avad=194130_f20ca4be5

I have a nice Bullhide carry belt that is great but it has holes and not a slide.  

I went ahead and ordered the belt...should work well from all the reviews. 

Mean Gene Leathers.......his belts and the buckles he uses are the best going, the buckles are really cool and are unique & many belt makers have copied them.....

Im quite a bit less than impressed with Crossbreed, after the founder/owner died, they went seriously downhill........

Have tried several different products from them & every one was sent back....

Plus Mean Gene has a long long long history in the firearms industry 

https://www.meangeneleather.com

2 hours ago, Rampy said:

Mean Gene Leathers.......his belts and the buckles he uses are the best going, the buckles are really cool and are unique & many belt makers have copied them.....

Im quite a bit less than impressed with Crossbreed, after the founder/owner died, they went seriously downhill........

Have tried several different products from them & every one was sent back....

Plus Mean Gene has a long long long history in the firearms industry 

https://www.meangeneleather.com

I’ll have to give them a look. I ordered the crossbreed and if I don’t like it it will go back. I’ll be able to tell pretty fast if it will work for me and be quality. If I don’t like it for carry I may swap it out for the Bullhide belt I have that I know will be a good carry belt then get the mean gene for the next one. 

edit. Checked them out and like the fact they have a stiffener in them and the lighter version of the buckle. 

4 minutes ago, towtruck said:

I’ll have to give them a look. I ordered the crossbreed and if I don’t like it it will go back. I’ll be able to tell pretty fast if it will work for me and be quality. If I don’t like it for carry I may swap it out for the Bullhide belt I have that I know will be a good carry belt then get the mean gene for the next one. 

edit. Checked them out and like the fact they have a stiffener in them and the lighter version of the buckle. 

Thing that really soured me personally is how they stole the belt buckle design from the company that designed it & Mean Gene buys the buckles from.

ya I know it’s a “tradition” to reverse engineering a product, make it cheaper with a minor “tweak” or two & then bragging about how you designed it......

The actual company who designed it is OG on the LF forums and developed it some years back & I’ve personally had 2 or 3 of their belts, but have gotten fat......

They have designed 1 of belts for this buckle, for suit wear, high end professional knuckle staggers wear these belts with suits daily protecting people like the President....

this is the latest generation of the buckle 

https://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1132

38 minutes ago, towtruck said:

I am interested in how you like either the Crossbreed or the mean gene belt.

I prefer the classic hole and rod belt, but what i have Sparks do is to make the holes close together, and add two more holes. 

I can always find the right spot, and I like my belts cinched tight.

The slide belts I have tried are the old fashioned military type with the rod vertical on the buckle. I have had trouble getting the belt to cinch up tight, and sometimes with alot of movement, or towards the end of the day, the belt seems to loossen.

not big on having to retighten that type of belt, especially if you are needed to do it discreetly with the weight of the firearm and a cell phone and/or extra mags attached. I have seen the belts that have a line of little clips that the opposing belt clips align with, but that line of slots is main of something stynthetic, and I thought they would not last very long before they needed replacement.

I would think any belt maker who is making the belt to spec as the orders come in could place the holes closer together and drill a few extra. Just food for thought, TT.  That is what the guy who made my holster recommended when I told him I was having trouble getting the belt tightness just right, and it worked, and is very secure. I have 2 belts made that way now, and I am said to say I am outgrowing them. Come to think of it I have a wide Milt Sparks 2 layer belt that is barely used, as I found it too wide for me and my belly.  

John

I wear my belts tight as well. My current belt was too big and I added another hole when I got it. I bought big and added a hole at the tip too so I could buckle it there and sit on a toilet and spread my knees to hold the belt tight so my 1911 would not flip over. I don’t touch my guns during bathroom breaks. My thinking with the slide buckle is I can do the same thing with it. Plus have infinite adjustability. If the crossbreed leather is weak I won’t keep it. If it seems as good as my current belt but not good enough for carry I will take my new dress belt and swap out as I don’t carry in my dress clothes for work. Either way I needed a new belt. 

I’m a tight belt wearing fool also :laugh:

However, I have learned IWB and especially AIWB, you do not want to wear them tight, it’s a fine dance for me, tight enough & not to tight.

seems a tight belt aids in printing and is not as comfortable  :dontknow:

Edited by Rampy

3 hours ago, Rampy said:

I’m a tight belt wearing fool also :laugh:

However, I have learned IWB and especially AIWB, you do not want to wear them tight, it’s a fine dance for me, tight enough & not to tight.

seems a tight belt aids in printing and is not as comfortable  :dontknow:

My current belt is getting loose because I am losing weight and the belt is getting soft with wear. When the belt is soft or loose it lets my heavy guns flop outward a bit and they print more. With the tight and stiff belt everything is where it needs to be. That is why I want that slide buckle to fine tune the new belt. 

3 hours ago, towtruck said:

My current belt is getting loose because I am losing weight and the belt is getting soft with wear. When the belt is soft or loose it lets my heavy guns flop outward a bit and they print more. With the tight and stiff belt everything is where it needs to be. That is why I want that slide buckle to fine tune the new belt. 

That's why I went to the wilderness belts, Vs the ones with the sliding buckle

I was in Sportsman's yesterday and they had standard buckle Crossbreed belts on the rack for me to feel.....they don't feel too bad and had a good stiff leather on them. The stitching was not what I wanted to see though. A little heavier stitch would have been nice to see. If the one I get is as good as the one's I saw yesterday I will keep it and give it a whirl. I should be able to get a few years out of it. If I really like the buckle and it works for me the next one will be the better quality maker at 50% more cost. Who knows, I may end up hating the buckle. If the color is right and I don't like the belt for carry I will swap it for my dress belt and go that route until I wear out the dress belt.....all I know is my current belt is shot...it has gone soft to the point it feels like a cotton belt!   

• 3 weeks later...

I like goats, goats are pretty, I came here to troll your forum and tow truck caught me again. While this original post looked normal to most folks it caught the eye of the mods, you see they have a keen eye for posers. I have been banned twice now.......I will go back and play with my goats now......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been using the Crossbreed belt, OWB carry, for 6 weeks plus now.  I like the buckle for adjustability. The weight and stiffness of the belt is just right. For the price it is a decent belt. Next belt will probably be from the original maker...meangene belts.

A couple issues with the Crossbreed belt. The belt loop for securing the excess is a slightly different color than the main belt and the edges of the belt were not burnished well enough in my book. The edges are starting to get some leather fuzz on them. 

The mean gene belts updated the buckle so it does not rattle when putting it on...not a big deal but it's nice to be silent at times when buckling the belt in a public restroom. 

I want to also try the stiffener in the mean gene belt. This belt is not for show and I am hard on gear,  I scratched the buckle within the first ten minutes of wearing the belt, so the color difference and the fuzz on the edges are no deal breaker for me. Time will tell how well the whole belt holds up. I should get four or five years out of it judging by the quality. 

I am really liking the buckle design. I am losing weight and I carry different guns, sometimes two, and having infinite adjustability is great.  I have not had any issues with the belt getting loose or the buckle slipping. Adjustments can be made without undoing the belt...just grab the buckle and belt and slide to adjust. I bought the belt a tad long and I can lock the tip of the belt in the buckle, drop trow, and spread my knees to tension the belt when sitting for #2. Never have to touch my guns and the gun never flops over and is in a ready position if needed. The belt is also stiff enough to unbuckle for #1 and the gun won't pull the belt out of the pants loops standing up. 

For the price I'm happy with it and would recommend it. I do want the original to try next, but at that cost upgrade it had better be a far superior belt. 

• 4 months later...

Update on the belt. It's late September and my belt failed last night while putting it on. The sliding bar that locks the belt in place lost a screw. Lucky for me I was able to find the screw on the floor. I was able to make it home with the buckle broken. It was a pain to get the belt off with the bar flopping in the buckle so I wedged it on and wore it home. The bar is drilled at both ends and a screw is inserted in each end to hold the slide in the buckle. The bottom screw must rub when operating the belt and it unscrewed itself. I repaired the belt by dabbing some RTV on the threads and putting the buckle back together. I put the fix on both screws. 

My fault for not checking the buckle but the makers fault for not adding some thread lock to those threads. If the screw would have fallen out while I was wearing the belt I would have noticed it as the slide would have been locked in place already and popped loose a bit. Having it fail while I was putting it on allowed me to find the screw. With one side of the bar loose there was just enough tension to hold the belt on me otherwise it would have been a complete failure and the belt could not have been worn, that could be bad if out in public and it loses a screw. 

Overall the belt has been working well, it has molded to fit me, and is very secure holding my various firearms. The adjustable slide buckle is the best feature as that is why I bought the belt in the first place. Stitching is still in great shape and the finish is good with some mars on it from my speed loader clips dragging across it. The edges of the belt that were not burnished are a little fuzzier but since the belt is part of my concealment nobody sees the fuzzy edges. I would not like it for a dress belt worn that is visible. 

• Like 1