Jump to content
xonlyj

Looking for new scenery

Recommended Posts

The wanderlust is starting to make me itch again. I'm currently in COS but it is ridiculously crowded now and secret quiet places are getting over run. I can lament over this encroachment but we brought in on ourselves. "Call some place paradise and kiss it good bye" They expect 250K more people in this area alone and with increasing demand for scarce water and the gun control crew is aggressive. I love the Pikes Peak area. A 150 mile radius covers a lot of great fishing, hiking, etc...That can be said for any where in CO too. The problem is new comers bring outside ways many which run counter to the spirit of the Colorado I knew. 

 

That means it's time to think of shaking the dust off for new territory. If you were an active outdoorsman and wanted a base to explore from where would you go? I prefer the Rockies over any other scenery and don't mind cold or snow. Cody, WY looks possible as it is close to Bear tooth wilderness but it lacks tall mountain scenery from town. St. Ignatius, MT is awesome but  millions of people pass through going to Glacier Natl park. I don.t mind  living in the sticks and prefer small towns. 

 

Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anywhere a person goes now, no matter how remote, more people will follow. As bad as things are in this country nowadays, EVERYBODY wants out of Dodge.

 

Tiny towns in the sticks like mine attract tons tourists from the city all year long. They can't stand the shat hole they live in but can't afford to go elsewhere. 

If they do have the money to move, they drive up the price of land very quickly in the remote areas AND bring their city problems with them. 

Prices for property have gone up in the boonies here. Everybody has the same idea. The boonies are going away fast. 

Not many places that you can get totally away from people here except out in the sagebrush & snakes.   

 

Idaho is nice but it is too far from the sea for me.  Not to mention old people like me need to be close to good medical facilities near larger towns. 

 

Best of luck with your quest.

 

 

Matt

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter what nice place you go, the idiots will move in and turn it into a shithole. They flee the conditions they created by voting for unicorn farts and rainbow flags and then do the same thing wherever they land. Places in Montana that were isolated 25 years ago now have McMansions. And those places that were truly in the boonies the land has been bought up in massive blocks by outsiders who seek solitude but also want the comforts of "civilization". They commute to whichever shithole they left and occupy part time the state they have chosen to destroy next.

 

It has reached every corner of every state no matter how desolate it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try just North of Payson, AZ.  You will be at 6-7 K altitude with Mountain View’s and Ponderosa Pines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cody WY is a tourist mecca, overflowing with tourons.....that entire corner of the state is a Tourn mecca as is the north central, the North East part if WY not so much, but it still has lots due to the black hills.....

 

Then the tooorns fall in love with it & want to move, and do exactly what Lon says....they work hard at turning it into the liberal shat hole they hated and left.

 

Montana has been overtaken by liberal in all the tourst spots and slowly working further out...had a friend who lived in the flathead area & he was forced to move by all the liberals taking over driving up the cost of living and making it impossible for locals to live, know somebody who lives less than 30 min from the Canadian border in a very small town that's also about 30 min from Hungry Horse MT and she loves the fact the border was closed, the tourists and idiots really were numbered, but this year, she is already seeing tons of idiots with calif license plates & she is trying to find a more remote area.........

 

Pull up a map of the area you want to be in, draw a grid circle around that area with the distance you are willing to live, then zoom in and find small towns & plan a road trip visiting them.....

 

Or move to North Central North Dakota, Minot, Stanley, Devils Lake area, look at the small tons 30-45 min from Minot....Max Bass ND....if you want remote, away from people, small town living....same for central South Dakota...just not the black hills area or the very eastern part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HAZMAT said:

Anywhere a person goes now, no matter how remote, more people will follow. As bad as things are in this country nowadays, EVERYBODY wants out of Dodge.

 

Tiny towns in the sticks like mine attract tons tourists from the city all year long. They can't stand the shat hole they live in but can't afford to go elsewhere. 

If they do have the money to move, they drive up the price of land very quickly in the remote areas AND bring their city problems with them. 

Prices for property have gone up in the boonies here. Everybody has the same idea. The boonies are going away fast. 

Not many places that you can get totally away from people here except out in the sagebrush & snakes.   

 

Idaho is nice but it is too far from the sea for me.  Not to mention old people like me need to be close to good medical facilities near larger towns. 

 

Best of luck with your quest.

 

 

Matt

 

 

 

Funny you mentioned the Sea  . I lived in Leucadia ,CA.  in early 70's  and was raised about 30 miles from there inland . I had too work so damn much to pay the rent on that Bluff house we rented , I rarely had time to even go down on to the beach and even less time too surf :thumbdown: . I had to move from there because of ALL the tourist Morons beating pathways into on peoples properties ,so as to discover NEW beach areas :hysterical3: .  It turned into a toilet of gigantic proportions from liberal dummies , they made Me puke back then from their stupidity !.  I seriously often wondered IF they actually had parents or were really some bizarre  test tube experiments which had failed :ack:

Honestly I surfed 10 X more when I lived 30 miles inland  during HS days and weekends .  What I do miss to this day is : Pacific Fishing , whether  trolling for Tuna  Marlin Dorado Sailfish or Rock cod which you bottom fish for  , even surf fishing and the smell of the Sea :thumb:

Edited by BushXM15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Rampy said:

Cody WY is a tourist mecca, overflowing with tourons.....that entire corner of the state is a Tourn mecca as is the north central, the North East part if WY not so much, but it still has lots due to the black hills.....

 

Then the tooorns fall in love with it & want to move, and do exactly what Lon says....they work hard at turning it into the liberal shat hole they hated and left.

 

Montana has been overtaken by liberal in all the tourst spots and slowly working further out...had a friend who lived in the flathead area & he was forced to move by all the liberals taking over driving up the cost of living and making it impossible for locals to live, know somebody who lives less than 30 min from the Canadian border in a very small town that's also about 30 min from Hungry Horse MT and she loves the fact the border was closed, the tourists and idiots really were numbered, but this year, she is already seeing tons of idiots with calif license plates & she is trying to find a more remote area.........

 

Pull up a map of the area you want to be in, draw a grid circle around that area with the distance you are willing to live, then zoom in and find small towns & plan a road trip visiting them.....

 

Or move to North Central North Dakota, Minot, Stanley, Devils Lake area, look at the small tons 30-45 min from Minot....Max Bass ND....if you want remote, away from people, small town living....same for central South Dakota...just not the black hills area or the very eastern part.

It is true, I have a friend who lives on a ranch that has been in the same family since before MT became a state. They own a good chunk of land and have a sizeable herd of cattle. Someone from commiefornia bought a parcel of land on the "river" at the edge of the ranch downstream. I say "river" because it isn't more than a creek for a long portion of its course and really only gets deep and wide enough you can't jump it or wade across it when it isn't flooded in the spring. We used to fish in it and seriously you don't need waders you can walk the river on the gravels on the edge. We the new neighbor sued the owner of the ranch for cow shat getting into the river and "polluting" their little chunk of paradise. There is about 3 miles of the river that flows through their land and the cattle can cross at their whim to get to greener grass on either side. And the fence goes right up to the lot the new neighbor built a 5,000 sqft house on. The neighbor saw a cow crossing which dropped a load midstream and sued for it. 

 

Was a whole big hassle he had to hire a lawyer for and then the state got involved. Seriously it cost them thousands of dollars to deal with the whole thing even though nothing that happened was against any of the multitude of regulations that exist in the state over use of water and livestock. And even though that case got tossed out they continue to have problems with the new neighbor. Calling the cops for gunfire happening from people the rancher lets shoot and hunt. It is a total cluster because idiots came from the city in commiefornia and expect things to be the same as where they left with a better view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

It is true, I have a friend who lives on a ranch that has been in the same family since before MT became a state. They own a good chunk of land and have a sizeable herd of cattle. Someone from commiefornia bought a parcel of land on the "river" at the edge of the ranch downstream. I say "river" because it isn't more than a creek for a long portion of its course and really only gets deep and wide enough you can't jump it or wade across it when it isn't flooded in the spring. We used to fish in it and seriously you don't need waders you can walk the river on the gravels on the edge. We the new neighbor sued the owner of the ranch for cow shat getting into the river and "polluting" their little chunk of paradise. There is about 3 miles of the river that flows through their land and the cattle can cross at their whim to get to greener grass on either side. And the fence goes right up to the lot the new neighbor built a 5,000 sqft house on. The neighbor saw a cow crossing which dropped a load midstream and sued for it. 

 

Was a whole big hassle he had to hire a lawyer for and then the state got involved. Seriously it cost them thousands of dollars to deal with the whole thing even though nothing that happened was against any of the multitude of regulations that exist in the state over use of water and livestock. And even though that case got tossed out they continue to have problems with the new neighbor. Calling the cops for gunfire happening from people the rancher lets shoot and hunt. It is a total cluster because idiots came from the city in commiefornia and expect things to be the same as where they left with a better view.


The little town my friend lives in outside of Hungry Horse MT does not have any 1st responders of any kind, they come in from other towns in the local area it’s so small.

 

She was saying somebody moved into town & then sued the town for not having  any VFD/EMS/LE.....I never asked her where they came from.....but it’s like WTF, you know what it’s like prior to moving in.......

 

Covid has made it so much worse, now you have these idiots wanting out of blue states that locked them down & are looking at “open” red states......both for travel/vacations and moving to.....

 

I’d look at how the state laws are written, how the current Governor has been dealing with the “pandemic” but at the same time realizing that all it takes is a few votes to get a power hungry socialist Governor.....so what do state laws say about how much power/authority the Governor has.....

 

Wyoming is “known” for its “freedoms” yet the last 2 Governor’s were RINO’s and not pro 2A in the least, the state legislature is 95% republican & yet they are mostly RINO’s and voted down pro gun/pro state laws this past legislature session and are working hard to turn I80 into a toll road against the people’s wishes, yet they are “good old boys” and keep getting re elected... Hell, they elected Dickey Cheney’s daughter Liz as congressman & yet she does not even live in WY......talk about stupid.....

 

The last true pro 2A Governor WY had.....was a democrat.....

 

From Colorado Springs to Cheyenne WY it’s exploding with liberals and more and more of the Colorado idiots are moving to the Cheyenne/Laramie area & then pushing liberal agendas.......

Edited by Rampy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rampy said:

 

From Colorado Springs to Cheyenne WY it’s exploding with liberals and more and more of the Colorado idiots are moving to the Cheyenne/Laramie area & then pushing liberal agendas.......

Amen, a giant strip city. I'm not going to buy anything just looking for a studio/one bed to rent year to year. All I want to do is chase trout, hike, target shoot and hang around a fire when it's cold  as I pass time to the inevitable. I've got to follow up on these excellent replies. Open for more suggestions and why! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, xonlyj said:

Amen, a giant strip city. I'm not going to buy anything just looking for a studio/one bed to rent year to year. All I want to do is chase trout, hike, target shoot and hang around a fire when it's cold  as I pass time to the inevitable. I've got to follow up on these excellent replies. Open for more suggestions and why! Thanks!


Wife is driving on 25 now outside of Loveland & ugh.....but Colorado has some excellent restaurants :drool5:
 

Pinedale,  Lander,  Graybull, Powell,  Hudson WY areas........small towns, close but off the beaten path.....

 

Lander is the biggest of them & it’s small town....

 

Seems like the Powell area has some kind of AR shooters group, but it’s been a long time since I’ve looked.....

 

Go over to the other AR forum & look/post in the WY hometown forum, seems they had some active members from these areas if I remember right.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, xonlyj said:

Amen, a giant strip city. I'm not going to buy anything just looking for a studio/one bed to rent year to year. All I want to do is chase trout, hike, target shoot and hang around a fire when it's cold  as I pass time to the inevitable. I've got to follow up on these excellent replies. Open for more suggestions and why! Thanks!


Wife and I have been talking about this, we would personally look at Lander (and surrounding areas) while staying away from Riverton as it’s along the same lines as Pueblo.....Went to Mid Winter fire school in Riverton  several years in a row and now sadly the bar that had minnow races has closed.....

 

Then Powell (stayed in a hotel their once that had field mice Lol) 

 

DuBois is really nice/small, but it’s right on the way to Jackson/Yellowstone & a tourist Mecca..

 

Living in these areas of WY, you would need a true 4x4 and not want....a SUV with AWD would be marginal....

 

Winters can be really brutal with lots of snow.......it was snowing in that area last night....

 

Buffalo/Sheridan area is beautiful, but stupid expensive, Buffalo is home to Longmire & is a very cool little town, Sheridan is bigger & even has a Walmart...but it’s on the East side of the Big Horns & no idea what the hunting/fishing is like in the area.......

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Rampy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been to Buffalo. Visited the Fetterman battle site. Your right it is nice but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, xonlyj said:

Been to Buffalo. Visited the Fetterman battle site. Your right it is nice but...

 

 

What I would do, is plan out a driving tour of the area that interest you with other possibilities & go see them 1st hand, but do it before tourist season hits as after then, it's going to be a madhouse if you go anywhere near a national park or other tourist destination....

 

If you go anywhere close to Hungry Horse MT, this place has some killer pie, it's worth a detour and I'm not even a pie fan :laugh:

 

https://huckleberrypatch.com/

 

Going to the sun road is closed in Glacier NP and no idea when it will be open...that's good....do not go into Browning MT after dark.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hunting and fishing are great.  As you know my son lives just south of Buffalo.  Wonderful place all round!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...