Jump to content
AR15Armory.com

What's the "Best" 5.56 for Home Defense


Rampy
 Share

Recommended Posts

So they stated they were testing for safety to bystanders and then shot through a wall where the bullets that penetrated most were declared the winner? Am I the only one seeing the flaw to their logic? None of the bullets did anything good to their secondary target which is supposed to be someone you didn't want to shoot but they based their choice on which one was the best by which one did the most damage after impacting a wall and then a target?

 

They did no tests where the bullet hit the ballistics gel first to determine affect on the targets you do hit?

 

Unless I am reading it wrong it really is a crappy article.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

So they stated they were testing for safety to bystanders and then shot through a wall where the bullets that penetrated most were declared the winner? Am I the only one seeing the flaw to their logic? None of the bullets did anything good to their secondary target which is supposed to be someone you didn't want to shoot but they based their choice on which one was the best by which one did the most damage after impacting a wall and then a target?

 

They did no tests where the bullet hit the ballistics gel first to determine affect on the targets you do hit?

 

Unless I am reading it wrong it really is a crappy article.

 

 

People are always talking about over penetration, missing the target and killing your kid in the next room to the neighbors bumping uglies next door......so this shows what happens when you "miss" the goblin and hit the typical home wall......

 

To test what happens when you miss with a round of 5.56mm ammo inside of a typical American home, we’re going to recreate the interior of a home, shoot rounds through one wall and then have them impact ballistic gelatin on the other side of that wall. We’ll also set up another larger wall to see what happens if any of the rounds make it through the testing medium. 

 

So what bullet did what after it went thru the wall is the question and what they are testing for......not what the best bullet is to put down a goblin with out of a 5.56......but the best one to use in your home when you miss your target and punch thru the wall.........

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why did they not test a 55.6 round that is dedicated to self defense such at the Speer Gold Dot LE

64 grain soft tip ?  While the results from the common 55 grain FMJ M193 and the 62 grain penetrator round that are stored by many in bulk was enlightening, the public is not prohibited from using rounds not considered kosher because of the agreement that  the dum dum bullet is verboten. (The USA is not a signaturtory but basically follows the agreement except for some specialty rounds used by Special Forces types at times is my understanding.)  

 

That's a really big hole in the "research" abstract, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55gr 5.56/223 out of a 10.5 inch barrel or longer trumps any and all pistol cartridges any day of the week in a home defense scenario......

 

Will the 9mm/40/45 work, sure it will, nobody is saying it won’t......

 

However, all things considered equal, a rifle cartridge always trumps a handgun cartridge......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I DIDN'T purchase any of MY AR's for INSIDE home defense :ack:

Now if a perpetrator  by some feat of black magic does get Inside Our Home , MY objective is eliminating the PERP  , NOT THE HOUSE !.:bignono:

 

#6 shot  out of MY 12 gauge Dbl barrel  . Commonly referred to as a Hall Sweeper . An the Wife is gonna back up with her 9mm and  IF you're within 50 yd. of her

YOU ARE TAKING A DIRT NAP :thumb:

  

   

Edited by BushXM15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, BushXM15 said:

I DIDN'T purchase any of MY AR's for INSIDE home defense :ack:

Now if a perpetrator  by some feat of black magic does get Inside Our Home , MY objective is eliminating the PERP  , NOT THE HOUSE !.:bignono:

 

#6 shot  out of MY 12 gauge Dbl barrel  . Commonly referred to as a Hall Sweeper . An the Wife is gonna back up with her 9mm and  IF you're within 50 yd. of her

YOU ARE TAKING A DIRT NAP :thumb:

  

   

Oh lord, here we go....

 

But for the record, at in home distances a pheasant load with #4 shot will blow chunks off a person and result in rapid if not instant onset of room temperature assumption. I know this from shooting a deer at about 5 yards with the same load. It was a center of the lungs shot and resulted in a hole large enough that chunks of lungs were blown back out of the deer about 1/2 the distance between us. The deer made it about 10 feet in a circle and collapsed to the ground and expired rapidly. None of the pellets made it through the skin on the opposite side but the hole going in was big enough you could look into it and see the blood pooling in the now mostly empty chest cavity. Wasn't a huge deer but a healthy small buck of about 150 pounds live weight. Just a target of opportunity while rabbit hunting and I knew a family who needed the meat. All legal but it isn't something I would have tried if the deer had stood up any further away. My home has plaster walls so my shotgun is loaded with #4 buckshot. Plaster is much more resistant to buckshot than drywall is. It is basically concrete and really slows anything down considerably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Oh lord, here we go....

 

But for the record, at in home distances a pheasant load with #4 shot will blow chunks off a person and result in rapid if not instant onset of room temperature assumption. I know this from shooting a deer at about 5 yards with the same load. It was a center of the lungs shot and resulted in a hole large enough that chunks of lungs were blown back out of the deer about 1/2 the distance between us. The deer made it about 10 feet in a circle and collapsed to the ground and expired rapidly. None of the pellets made it through the skin on the opposite side but the hole going in was big enough you could look into it and see the blood pooling in the now mostly empty chest cavity. Wasn't a huge deer but a healthy small buck of about 150 pounds live weight. Just a target of opportunity while rabbit hunting and I knew a family who needed the meat. All legal but it isn't something I would have tried if the deer had stood up any further away. My home has plaster walls so my shotgun is loaded with #4 buckshot. Plaster is much more resistant to buckshot than drywall is. It is basically concrete and really slows anything down considerably.

 

Law of Physics Lon ; Closer to the muzzle and heavier the projectile  more damage , IE energy .  Generally speaking Most anything one uses in way of firearms inside a house is gonna generate ENERGY and can only be dissipated with solid objects or distance traveled . MY thinking is a 5-7" Dia. hole through two layers of drywall and a  Perp dissipates that energy quickly , likely Not to continue beyond the next drywall wall . .223 velocity 3000 fps is gonna go through walls Perp and beyond the property line .  

True plaster and Blue board is a denser material and the wall mud is a cement variation as opposed to vinyl drywall mud   but not everyone has plaster  :ack:

Edited by BushXM15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Oh lord, here we go....

 

 

 

Yep, that's why I listen to people like Doctor Gary Roberts, Rob Haught, Steve Fisher and other true shotgun subject matter experts & not some clown with a video camera and a you tube channel.....

 

When considering the defensive use of the shotgun, we want ammunition that will reach the FBI minimum of 12 inches of penetration and no more then 18 inches.........birdshot will never reach that, neither will #6 shot.

 

Now #4 buck is the 1st really serious shot size according to those who are considered subject matter experts in the gauge world,just  they do not have the mass/weight to penetrate that deep and a surface wound will just piss off people.....unless you are at point blank range, but more than a few feet....and then you will have to make multiple pulls of the trigger....and how many pellets go flying with each bang???

 

Each pellet of #6 shot weighs approximately 1.8 grains. If there are 333 #6 pellets in a shotgun shell, the total weight of the birdshot is 600 grains.

 

Some folks have mistakenly said, "A load of #6 is like getting shot with a solid piece of lead weighing 600 grains".

But this is not the case. This is because that 600 grain load is composed of 333 individual #6 sized shot, each weighing 1.8 grains. And the penetration of the shot is dependant on the weight of "each pellet", not the total weight. And a 1.8 grain pellet will not penetrate very far into ballistic gelatin or a bad guy.
 

However, as noted by DocGKR, "Pretty much any buckshot from 1 to 000 works just fine––figure out what works best in your weapon, purchase enough for practice and field/duty use, get extensive shotgun training from a good instructor, then stop worrying about specific loads, as it just doesn't matter that much."

 

 

 

 

Edited by Rampy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...