Retcop

Best "Bang for your Buck" Air Rifle ?

that is reasonably accurate, and also possibly has a sound "Suppressor".

Since I have a new neighbor who built his temporary home too close for comfort, and has a 2 year-old, I am no longer comfy shooting the .22 rifle, in the area of the bird feeder, where we can see it from the kitchen window and the deck.   I would be shooting in a safe direction with a hill for a backstop but is too close for comfort with the toddler. i may move the bird feeder for this season.... 

After 3 years, I have put a serious dent in the parasitic Cowbird population, while he was slowly building the cabin I saw an increase in population as I was not shooting the varmints as often.

The idea is he will be building their dream house further back on his 10 acres, and the cabin will become his mancave, and possibly an office for his electric business. and the storage building will be for his tractor and backhoe.  It took him a couple of years to build this, God only knows how long it will take him to build the "dreamhouse." Momma is home all day with the kid, which i applaud, but I'm just not happy with the .22 given the circumstances. 

I think a break barrel single shot would work, unless the gun is quiet enough to not disturb the birds, then repeat shots would be great, but not essential. I have no idea how quiet these things are. Accuracy is important, as the shots are 30-40 yards.

This also brings up choice of caliber, wondering if the .17 or the .22 would be better for small varmints at this distance ? 

Wind is a factor on a good number of days. 

While I'm at it, I'd also like to ask about the use of the CCI  .22 Quiet rounds that are supposed to be the most quiet .22 LR around. 

Unfortunately suppressors are not legal in Illinois for firearms.  

I am trying to be both safe and courteous. In a few years, when the kid is in school all day, I can go back to using the .22 while he is at school. I want to be courteous, even though for reasons unknown he built his "cabin" much closer to the property line than I would have liked. 

So, what's my best bet for something decent that won't break the bank ? 

***Does anyone have a used one for sale that meets my needs ? *** 

Thanks for all experienced help in advance. During the heavy snow and prolonged cold snap earlier this year, I discovered that bottle rockets with report were the only thing that kept the blackbirds and starlings from emptying my huge feeder in an hour. They absolutely hated that air burst report, it really kept them moving to someplace that was not "war torn".  Even the .22 did not work on keeping them away.  But for the cowbirds, I need the Air Rifle (with proper placement) to make them DRT. 

I don’t think of airguns as providing a bang, more as the best “pop” for your buck, or even the best “ffft” for your buck

My Gamo “Whisper” rifle in .177 won’t do 40 yards. At least I don’t think so.

My RWS Model 52 in .22 will do 30-40 yards. If you put it in his ear, it’ll kill a whistle pig at 20 yards. I use the heavier, harder pellets for game.

This guy doesn’t use economical equipment, but he kills a lot of pests. I’m not sure that there’s much difference than a .22lr with his rifles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for writing. 

Bummer about the range, which is exactly why I asked here, so I could get some honest answers. 

Maybe other guys have reasonably priced guns with farther ranges...IDK. 

I have some other options. I can move the feeders to the other side of the property and keep using the .22

I can also try the CCI "quiet" there or have a talk with my neighbor. He has told me he likes guns, and had plans to put up a shooting berm on the other side of the ridge. That does not help me with my cowbird problem. My neighbor did what he did with his building so he could keep his hayfields as unobstructed as possible. Not sure if he plans to run any head of his own, I think he wants the hay for his grandpa's of father's place.  

The frustrating thing is there is no doubt in my mind (or the wife's) that I have increased the number of fledglings of other species of birds by addressing the cowbirds.  That is the bad news about feeders, at least in my area. The feeder concentrates the location of nesting birds, so if the parasites go unchecked, their population and impact also concentrates.

BTW: What we thought was a snipe was actually a woodcock, and it appears as if all 4 eggs hatched in the nest, and Momma has moved them to another location. Their camouflage is simply amazing.  I am so happy they avoided the feral cats, coons, etc.   She sat thru some of that nasty weather we had like I real trooper. I think it extended the incubation time. 

Thanks much for your help !

John

Edited by Retcop
typos, clarity
  • Like 1

If you were close, I’d send my RWS with you to see if it will do what you’re looking for. For that matter, the Gamo, too. I’ve never found it to be terribly effective, but maybe for something the size of a cowbird in would be fine.

You could sight in for that exact range and plan to shoot birds right at the feeder. Maybe something g like the Gamo would work. Try lighter, faster pellets and heavier, harder pellets to penetrate the feathers better. I’ve always liked heavier.

Anything .177 over 1000 fps, and .22 over 900 fps would probably be fine once you find your zero.

One of the biggest hurtles to acceptable accuracy with any airgun is finding the pellet that it likes.

I make kill shots on starlings @ ranges out to about 55 yards with a break-barrel .22, but wind and other factors make it almost more a stroke of luck than repeatable consistency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhair said:

One of the biggest hurtles to acceptable accuracy with any airgun is finding the pellet that it likes.

I make kill shots on starlings @ ranges out to about 55 yards with a break-barrel .22, but wind and other factors make it almost more a stroke of luck than repeatable consistency.

Interesting. 

I could also move the feeder closer...

Any brand or model suggestions for reasonable price yet decent performance ?  Are they usually packaged with scopes ? 

2 hours ago, srjdsmith said:

If you were close, I’d send my RWS with you to see if it will do what you’re looking for. For that matter, the Gamo, too. I’ve never found it to be terribly effective, but maybe for something the size of a cowbird in would be fine.

You could sight in for that exact range and plan to shoot birds right at the feeder. Maybe something g like the Gamo would work. Try lighter, faster pellets and heavier, harder pellets to penetrate the feathers better. I’ve always liked heavier.

Anything .177 over 1000 fps, and .22 over 900 fps would probably be fine once you find your zero.

These birds are slightly smaller than Cardinals, and are easy to kill. 

I would be surprised if a torso shot did not anchor them. 

Thanks for the numbers. That helps. 

5 minutes ago, Retcop said:

Interesting. 

I could also move the feeder closer...

Any brand or model suggestions for reasonable price yet decent performance ?  Are they usually packaged with scopes ? 

Most of the break-barrels are made in China, and are branded according to manufacturer's specs and features, so there isn't as much functional difference as there is in cosmetics and assorted features.

As far as scopes go.....most of the scopes bundled with them are junk. The best part of getting a bundled scope is that you get rings or a base and rings that you know fit your gun. Bottom line: Don't go out of your way to get one bundled with a scope. You can often do better for not a lot more $.

5 minutes ago, Longhair said:

Most of the break-barrels are made in China, and are branded according to manufacturer's specs and features, so there isn't as much functional difference as there is in cosmetics and assorted features.

As far as scopes go.....most of the scopes bundled with them are junk. The best part of getting a bundled scope is that you get rings or a base and rings that you know fit your gun. Bottom line: Don't go out of your way to get one bundled with a scope. You can often do better for not a lot more $.

I read air guns were really hard on scopes...

42 minutes ago, Retcop said:

I read air guns were really hard on scopes...

Spring powered air guns are hard on scopes because of the 2 way recoil. I'd look at a precharged pneumatic. You can get the bicycle pump to fill with or spend 3x as much and get the electric. You could pump it up at night and call it exercise.

8 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Spring powered air guns are hard on scopes because of the 2 way recoil. I'd look at a precharged pneumatic. You can get the bicycle pump to fill with or spend 3x as much and get the electric. You could pump it up at night and call it exercise.

can you use a shop compressor on them ? ....IIRC, they don't go to high enough pressure...

So what does a reasonably good air rifle scope cost, like for a spring break barrel model.

Looks like I have more reading to do. My once over and the belief that someone would tell me,something like "give this Stoeger model a try, you just can't beat it for the money" was a delusional dream. 

Right now I votinging for moving the feeders closer to the deck but away from the neighbor, and seeing how my .22 likes those .22 CCI Quiet rounds....

1 minute ago, Retcop said:

can you use a shop compressor on them ? ....IIRC, they don't go to high enough pressure...

So what does a reasonably good air rifle scope cost, like for a spring break barrel model.

Looks like I have more reading to do. My once over and the belief that someone would tell me,something like "give this Stoeger model a try, you just can't beat it for the money" was a delusional dream. 

Right now I votinging for moving the feeders closer to the deck but away from the neighbor, and seeing how my .22 likes those .22 CCI Quiet rounds....

Those .22 CB rounds are super quiet and deadly on critters up to the size of housecats with proper shot placement. Truly the CB rounds are quieter than an air rifle even with a suppressor on the air rifle. Someone standing 20 yards away is more likely to hear the bullet hit than the muzzle report because there is almost none from a rifle length barrel. Me and CB caps go way back, they work really well on the trapline for dispatching critters and are accurate enough to snipe sparrows off the roof of the barn and not disturb the livestock.

The "Quiet" loads can't hold a candle to the CB rounds. Hands down the CB is the way to go. Before I got the blowgun CB caps were how I dispatched critters in live traps in the yard. 

2 hours ago, Retcop said:

For a PCP gun you're talking about 3K PSI, and that's a lot of pumping. Compressors that can achieve 3K PSI aren't cheap. Another alternative is to get a scuba tank to charge the gun with, but that means a periodic trip to a scuba shop to get the tank filled, and the added cost of the tank.

Springers and gas piston guns are both tough on scopes. I've trashed a few with the bi-directional recoil. It's a good idea to get an inexpensive scope with a lifetime warranty if you go that route. I ended up with UTG scopes on both of my break-barrel rifles, because along with the warranty they can focus (parallax adjustment) down to 10 yds and are airgun rated.

The CCI Quiet ammo is GREAT, but now you're talking about ammo that's very hard to even find, and when you do it's outrageously priced. I just saw a brick sell for a tad over $100. Fiocci also produces some really nice subsonic .22LR, but you typically can't find it anywhere right now either.

Flobert CB Caps and BB Caps are another viable direction, but (1) they won't feed from any magazine, (2) they are nearly as impossible to find at the moment as 22LR, and (3) are also silly priced when you do run across any. The CB Caps being conical are better than the BB Caps for accuracy beyond 20± yds, FWIW.

Yet another option would be Multi-Pump Pneumatic like the old Sheridan or Crosman pumpers. The problem there is very limited selection, scoping them can be an issue, and they can be nearly as loud as a low velocity .22RF.

• Like 1

AirArms The TX200 Mk III features a Lothar Walther barrel unparalleled accuracy with JSB Exact Diabolo pellets  ,lethal on squirrels pesky flying vermin  50 yd. .

More power RWS 350 or model 34 Diana Grade .  Most accurate Air Rifles are Olympic 10 meter 33 ft. rifles but severely  lack any power and get

Seriously EXPENSIVE :ack:                    https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/air-rifles.html

8 minutes ago, Longhair said:

For a PCP gun you're talking about 3K PSI, and that's a lot of pumping. Compressors that can achieve 3K PSI aren't cheap. Another alternative is to get a scuba tank to charge the gun with, but that means a periodic trip to a scuba shop to get the tank filled, and the added cost of the tank.

Springers and gas piston guns are both tough on scopes. I've trashed a few with the bi-directional recoil. It's a good idea to get an inexpensive scope with a lifetime warranty if you go that route. I ended up with UTG scopes on both of my break-barrel rifles, because along with the warranty they can focus (parallax adjustment) down to 10 yds and are airgun rated.

The CCI Quiet ammo is GREAT, but now you're talking about ammo that's very hard to even find, and when you do it's outrageously priced. I just saw a brick sell for a tad over $100. Fiocci also produces some really nice subsonic .22LR, but you typically can't find it anywhere right now either.

Flobert CB Caps and BB Caps are another viable direction, but (1) they won't feed from any magazine, (2) they are nearly as impossible to find at the moment as 22LR, and (3) are also silly priced when you do run across any. The CB Caps being conical are better than the BB Caps for accuracy beyond 20± yds, FWIW.

Yet another option would be Multi-Pump Pneumatic like the old Sheridan or Crosman pumpers. The problem there is very limited selection, scoping them can be an issue, and they can be nearly as loud as a low velocity .22RF.

Simmons .44 Mag scope  holds up like NO other . 20 Years not a single problem and I've swapped on more than a few Air Rifles .

I have a Super close Friend ( one of MY Ex bosses ) who  is the Cody Museum of Air Rifles  . If he doesn't own #3 of each   they DON'T exist :thumb:

Even has custom made  Big Bore Air Rifles and Shotguns :facepalm: