AR15Armory.com

Reed vise

Any machinists here: i have a reed vise. The piece the spindle rides threw is stretched and won't hold tight will some one make me a new one. May take me a month or 2 to be ready to have made will send spindle and piece to be made. Can someone give me an hourly rate to make this piece. I'd rather pay someone on here than someone local.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Can you send pictures of the pieces? Not saying I can do it, I probably can't, just getting an idea of what would be involved in it and it will help those with more skill and tools to see what they are up against. If it isn't too complex and the tools needed not too expensive I may be able to help. If you can lay a tape measure next to and across the spindle threads it will help determine the pitch and type of thread so we can dig through taps to see what we already have. If you have a caliper measurements would be helpful.

• Like 1

Are the threads wore off the leadscrew or is that casting stripped? (or both?) I'm ASSuming that's iron? That cast part can be made. Figuring out the threads might be fun. Cutting them in the casting might be more fun.

I can prolly make a replacement. No idea how many hours as I'm not a pro and estimating is my weakest part in metal work. It may be easier to rethread the casting and replace the screw with a new one to fit the new thread size.

Are the threads wore off the leadscrew or is that casting stripped? (or both?) I'm ASSuming that's iron? That cast part can be made. Figuring out the threads might be fun. Cutting them in the casting might be more fun.

I can prolly make a replacement. No idea how many hours as I'm not a pro and estimating is my weakest part in metal work. It may be easier to rethread the casting and replace the screw with a new one to fit the new thread size.
Its the casting thats stretched

2 hours ago, adamr19745 said:

Here's some picksb9311f69e7e263a1d426c4d95067026e.jpgdcc063b32e1ca23d52412aedcb07fd5a.jpg1a7eab81b2890da06eac63cbd082eb57.jpg

I have had issues in this area before with my vise. 1. Clean both the screw and the female casting really well. 2. oil them up. 3. run the threaded rod through the cast part and make sure it threads in freely. I have had to force one through and work it back and forth before to loosen it up. 4. make sure the female threaded part is solidly mounted in the vice where it cannot travel back and forth. 5. put it all back together and clamp at different distances to check for a stripped area. 

It is really hard to strip one of these out...it's easier to stretch the screw than strip them. 

What  exactly is it doing....is it jumping a thread, spinning freely once clamped onto something?......explain the symptoms if you could.  

I have had issues in this area before with my vise. 1. Clean both the screw and the female casting really well. 2. oil them up. 3. run the threaded rod through the cast part and make sure it threads in freely. I have had to force one through and work it back and forth before to loosen it up. 4. make sure the female threaded part is solidly mounted in the vice where it cannot travel back and forth. 5. put it all back together and clamp at different distances to check for a stripped area. 

It is really hard to strip one of these out...it's easier to stretch the screw than strip them. 

What  exactly is it doing....is it jumping a thread, spinning freely once clamped onto something?......explain the symptoms if you could.  
I can tighten parts in it and turn bolts on part and it will losen and part fall out of jaws. Acts like the part is stretched

It is made of cast iron. As most people know cast iron stretches over time. Im even willing to go a new rod piece it screws in if that is easier as long as the treads are not easy to strip

3 hours ago, adamr19745 said:

b9311f69e7e263a1d426c4d95067026e.jpg

That lead screw looks worn out to me. There appears to be definite thinning of the threads in the center section. Look how wide the tops of the threads are at the ends compared to the center. This will be steel and harder than the cast iron nut so if it has worn this much the cast iron thread are probably worse.

dcc063b32e1ca23d52412aedcb07fd5a.jpg

3 hours ago, adamr19745 said:

1a7eab81b2890da06eac63cbd082eb57.jpg

It really would be difficult to "stretch" the threads in that piece as it always has full thread engagement along the lead screw. It isn't like in a threaded hole where you have a screw part way into the threads and you apply force, with the vice all of the threads are engaged at once. It could be and likely is the threads in the casting are even more worn than on the lead screw. The screw is made of steel and the iron casting is softer by a significant amount. I bet if you look inside those threads I bet they are sharp pointed meaning the thickness has worn out of them. If you put the leadscrew into the casting and it wiggles side to side more than just a tiny amount it is the threads being worn instead of being stretched. 

It really would be difficult to "stretch" the threads in that piece as it always has full thread engagement along the lead screw. It isn't like in a threaded hole where you have a screw part way into the threads and you apply force, with the vice all of the threads are engaged at once. It could be and likely is the threads in the casting are even more worn than on the lead screw. The screw is made of steel and the iron casting is softer by a significant amount. I bet if you look inside those threads I bet they are sharp pointed meaning the thickness has worn out of them. If you put the leadscrew into the casting and it wiggles side to side more than just a tiny amount it is the threads being worn instead of being stretched. 

How hard would it be to make a new spindle and piece it screws into. Or is it better to buy another vise for around 300$

47 minutes ago, adamr19745 said:

How hard would it be to make a new spindle and piece it screws into. Or is it better to buy another vise for around 300$

The hardest part would be the casting. It would be prohibitively expensive to make a new one and there is not enough meat on it to bore it out and put in a new piece of material to thread. The only other option would be to make a new piece out of bar stock which would be more work but would give the option of making it out of a different material which would wear better. If there is significant wear in the spindle making a new one would be an option. It really isn't that hard to do on the lathe. Cutting threads externally is cake compared to cutting them internally on the lathe in my experience.

Have you contacted Reed? They are still in business and may offer parts. 800-666-3691 (US/Canada) or +1 814-452-3691 7:30 am - 5:30 pm EST

• Like 1

If the cast part were to be made from bar stock I'd go with brass. Cutting the internal threads would be the hardest part. You can single point it with a custom ground tool. Or drop real cheddar on a tap. I'd wager there's an acme tap in that size available.

But I'd also follow Lon's advice and call Reed before anything else.

22 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

If the cast part were to be made from bar stock I'd go with brass. Cutting the internal threads would be the hardest part. You can single point it with a custom ground tool. Or drop real cheddar on a tap. I'd wager there's an acme tap in that size available.

But I'd also follow Lon's advice and call Reed before anything else.

I was thinking some aluminum bronze, that stuff is pretty dang tough but works really nice. If I were going to do the lead screw I'd probably use A1 tool steel. I can usually get it cheap and it works really nice and hardens easy without worrying about distortion. 

Taps run $50 and up new. $50 being the imported stuff. It usually isn't too hard to find a used tap on ebay that is affordable. Cutting an internal acme would be easier in bronze than steel but the cost would be 8x times higher for screwups.