AR15Armory.com

Found some things

Wyldeman

f45d26f31ff8ed36e0206aa21f96d423.jpg

Found these at my grandmother’s. 1917 Remington and Eddystone. Both of them 30.06. I don’t know much about them and was wondering if there’s anything I should know. They are both functional to my knowledge but I have not shot either of them yet. Thanks.

-Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sadly grandma is in very ill health and has given the rifles over to me. I believe they are all original and I’d like to shoot them but I don’t know if I should if that would be ok. I might want to sell one of them (the eddystone) and keep the Remington. Would that be a reasonable thing to do? I feel like it is wrong to sell something like that. I’ve also got a marlin model golden 39A new in the original box that my grandpa bought a while ago and gave to me when I was younger. Have never been able to bring myself to shoot it. But these have been shot before...

Nothing wrong with shooting the 30-06's. Just scrub the bores both before and afterward. 

DO NOT SHOOT THE MARLIN! It recently gained value with Marlin being bought by Ruger. Sure, there are a ton of model 39A's out there, but most of them have been shot because that's what you do with a .22LR. There will soon be a separate market for "pre-Ruger Marlins", and a Golden 39A unfired in the box is going to be worth a fair amount more than one that's been shot.

Edited by Longhair
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, xonlyj said:

In todays atmosphere I wouldn't sell one!  Clean 'em, inspect 'em, lube 'em, and store 'em.

Also, since his grandfather has had them for a long time there likely isn't any federal paper trail on them. Probably best if they never see the inside of a federally licensed dealer's shop/store so it stays that way. Remember, nothing required federal paperwork prior to 1968.

• Like 3

The bores likely need a good scrubbing with US milsurp cleaning fluid from WW II. Even better, use hot soapy water first. They've probably been used as ceremonial rifles firing blanks, and lots of those blanks were corrosive.

• Like 2

My fellow Armory Brothers have given You the BEST advise , Clean inspect lube and if You  fire them , repeat and store . Then KEEP them too YOURSELF :thumb:

On 4/21/2021 at 10:28 AM, Wyldeman said:

f45d26f31ff8ed36e0206aa21f96d423.jpg

Found these at my grandmother’s. 1917 Remington and Eddystone. Both of them 30.06. I don’t know much about them and was wondering if there’s anything I should know. They are both functional to my knowledge but I have not shot either of them yet. Thanks.

-Jon

Edited by BushXM15
  • Like 3

Alright. Thanks guys. Glad to be doing the right thing. I don’t have a 30.06 size brush for the bores, I guess I should purchase one and is CLP sufficient? I’m not familiar with putting water on my guns I’ve never really done that. No need for a lube debate by the way

The water based cleaner is mostly because of corrosive primers that produced salts. If it had been cleaned properly after last firing rounds with corrosive primers, I wouldn't see any reason for using water now, assuming a good cleaning showed no sign of rust in the bore, although it wouldn't hurt anything.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wyldeman said:

Alright. Thanks guys. Glad to be doing the right thing. I don’t have a 30.06 size brush for the bores, I guess I should purchase one and is CLP sufficient? I’m not familiar with putting water on my guns I’ve never really done that. No need for a lube debate by the way

Get a bottle of original formula Hoppes #9.  It was created back when all ammo was corrosive and will neutralize the corrosive salts. No need to flush with water. I use it in all my milsurp rifles with nary a problem. smell good too!

https://www.hoppes.com/cleaners-and-lubricants/traditional-hoppes-9/no.-9-gun-bore-cleaner/HO-904.html

Terry

Edited by specops56
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Wyldeman said:

Want to clean the Bore properly ?.  Get a rubber or cork stopper for the muzzle and a small neck funnel ,so as to fit in the chamber end along with a chamber bore brush and a Bronze bristle  brush . Mix up a half tablespoon of Dawn  Lemi Shine or Cascade auto dish washing soap in half gallon boiling water .

Cork the Bore suspend the rifle on corked end ,take your funnel place it in the chamber bore pour about 7/8 full ( enough but not so much as when you put the bore brush in it flows over )  Stroke the bore brush 7-10 times . Open the corked bore where you want it too drain , pour almost 1/2 the mixed solution through the open bore using the funnel . Repeat for second Rifle , save enough to dip the chamber brush in and finish both rifles that way .  AFTER You can simply pour boiling water through Both bores Run drying swabs down both bores

THEN use Hoppes or your favorite bore cleaner  .   FYI : Fulminate of Mercury was the corrosive culprit !. After corrosive ammo is fired  SALT residue is formed  which attracts moisture combined with Hydrogen makes a perfect RUSTING agent . In order to remove those salts Hot or Boiling water IS NECESSARY , the additives DEEP clean any potential pitting fissures cracks  ,along with bore brush digging debris out .  After You initially clean those chambers and bores , You can simply use Normal methods of Bore preservation chemicals , provided You don't shoot any surplus pre 56 foreign ammo  or Pre 53 US Ammo . 

Check  ALL  Bolts magazines lifter follower rails  clean and lube carefully .  YOU will be doing Yourself the Biggest favor You can imagine !!!.

• Like 2

[mention]BushXM15 [/mention] I’m a lazy gen z’er, how can you expect me to do all of that?

:segrin:

In all seriousness I appreciate you taking the time to explain all that. I will have to sit down and go through that process to keep these jewels lookin purty

I’m excited to let you guys know how these shoot