ewallover

Shooting glasses, near and far sighted in the same frame

Well as I may have indicated I’m right handed, left eye dominant and my vision without glasses has deteriorated to the point where glasses are needed for everything.  I’ve been wearing digital progressive lenses for as long as I can remember but for shooting open sights they are not great.  You get a good cheek weld and you end up looking at your sights through the farsighted location on the lense; then the head bobbing begins.

I just had to upgrade my prescription so I asked my Doctor about this issue and she said oh, I can fix that!  A near sighted non-progressive lens for the left eye and a far sighted similar lense for the right eye.  She corrected for my astigmatism and set my left eye focus around 24-26 inches and infinity for my non-dominant eye.  Well they came yesterday, used an old frame from an earlier pair of glasses and for $117 I’m in business.

I got home grabbed my M-1, and lo and behold, the front sight is gin clear nicely defined by the rear ring and when I open my right eye the entire field of view popped into focus.  From all indications she was spot on!  I cannot wait to get the range.  These darn things just might help my shotgunning too.  

Turns out I’m not the only shooter she has helped, she has done this for a number of “aging” men complaining about this problem.  I couldn’t be happier.  No coatings, just a clear lense set up correctly for each eye.  

I’m sure I’m not alone.... ask the next time you need glasses; hell why wait? Look into this and improve what you are seeing when you look down the barrel, a pretty cheap correction. And with a pair of clip on yellow shades, contrast in low light conditions will be improved at a very low additional cost.  I think this was a win-win for me.  Check it out!

Range report to follow...

• Like 3

That’s awesome!  So far I have been able to avoid this for shooting, but the front sight is definitely no longer sharp and in focus on my pistols.

I use readers for my everyday work and when reading books/computers.  Eventually I’m sure I’ll have to address this.

My front sight clarity is still good but I'm sure the issue is coming.

Greg

Not sure any of my guns have a front sight..:old1::segrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snake46 said:

Not sure any of my guns have a front sight..:old1::segrin:

I've got several but they are rarely used..LOL

Greg