Happy Weekend Everyone!  

Is green tip ammo (5.56) any good or stay away from?

Thanks!  :)

Happy Weekend Everyone!  

Thanks!  

Good for what ? Hunting? no -self defense better than nothing but not the best choice - target shooting / practice ? If you have a good dirt backstop yes .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

That's about the size of it Ozarkpugs  put it straight .  Green tip is normally 62 grain either M855 US military 5.56x45mm or SS 109 European Military designation .

3000 fps- 3125 fps.  IT will function an AR or M-4 :thumb:

• Thanks 1

I was just ammo shopping and came across green tip Ammo. Wasn’t exactly sure what the difference was.  But it doesn’t sound like anything that I would need to purchase. 

Thank you for clearly defining what it is and isn’t good for. 

:)

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Cynthia said:

Happy Weekend Everyone!  

Thanks!  :)

An a pleasant weekend  too YOU also , keep them in the zone :thumb:

Cynthia FYI : Green tip Military whether USA or European SS109 was sold for YEARS as Surplus ammo  , it's Not hateful but it's Nothing to write home about either . Nearly ANY 55. gr. .223 aka 5.56x45mm is gonna do JUST FINE for a number of tasks .

Right now PRICING is the culprit  shortages are spanking everyone ,some harder than others . We reloaders  hunker down and use components and make our own when prices are astronomically HIGH . Shop for DEALS IF possible :thumb:

Edited by BushXM15
  • Like 1

Green tip is steel core. Ok for penetration,  but unless it tumbles upon impact, (crap shoot), not much good as an anti personnel round. Any hole is better than none at all, but it wouldn't be my first choice. 

That having been said,  given current availability,  get what you can. Hopefully,  availability will improve. 

I was just ammo shopping and came across green tip Ammo. Wasn’t exactly sure what the difference was.  But it doesn’t sound like anything that I would need to purchase. 

Thank you for clearly defining what it is and isn’t good for. 

It was designed for shooting through russian helmets . The green paint is for identification . It is hard on metal targets . Good news is ammo is starting to show up and at more places at better prices . As far as which ammo is better ,it all depends on your mission . If you are going to be blowing through rounds dumping mags buy cheap as possible . I buy/ load target bullets that are also good for hunting / defense if need be , for instance Fiochi 50 grain varmint bullets can ,or at least used to be affordable in bulk .

Just a follow up question to Cynthia’s. I usually shoot PMC 55grain 223 at the range I have recently bought cheaper reman brass loads and some Wolf to shoot at the range but have never bought and self defense ammo for my AR’s

What are your go to self defense rounds for your 556/223 rifles?

Thanks
Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a follow up question to Cynthia’s. I usually shoot PMC 55grain 223 at the range I have recently bought cheaper reman brass loads and some Wolf to shoot at the range but have never bought and self defense ammo for my AR’s

What are your go to self defense rounds for your 556/223 rifles?

Thanks
Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pmc soft point or solids ? The best self defense ammo question gets a lot of different answers and brings up lot questions . Big thug - small thug - heavy clothes - light clothes . etc . I consider a .223 /5.56 a good defense round with any 55 - 65 soft point . Realistically super accuracy is not important because if it's past rock throwing distance you are going to have trouble convincing the DA it was self defense . LEO require a tougher bullet to possibly shoot through windshields ,car doors and such . If you are concerned about having to shoot through barriers ( or 300 lb advesery in heavy clothing ) and are not concerned about over penetration then a bonded 62 grain is hard to beat . Yes solids and hpbt bullets can and often work great but they depend on yawing and breaking apart which sometimes they don't do and just pencil through . My favorite bullet for all things is a 65 grain sierra game king but it's roll your own .

• Like 1

No bullet is perfect. No magic bullet is guaranteed to stop the bad guy. Do your own research. Gather as much real, versus anecdotal, data as you can find and then make your own decision. As for the specific GT you found; if it's a good price, grab it. You have nothing to lose and it will be great for the range,

Terry

• Like 1

Although the M855 is being treated like the red headed stepchild of the family, I would be willing to bet that most people have on hand. I have at leasr one magaxine full in my carry rig. The wonderful thing obout the M855 is that it take some cover

(cover stops bulletd) and turns that cover into concealment.   (concealment is something you can hide behind but it either won't stop bullets, or is verry iffy about stopping bullets. 

If you are buying something for the range or training there are a ton of choices during normal times. If you want to put up some "extra" for the "zombie apocalypse", social unrest, or self defense, the Lake City M193 55 grain FMJ (full metal jacket) is like the quintessential plinking or training round. Though usually OK for 2 legged targets, they are usually not in the super accurate category, with 2 to 4 inches at 100 yards about the norm. 

Don't be afraid to experiment with different brands of ammo, as long as they are not remanufactured, and they are from companies with a decent reputation. Try and buy enough for a few magazine fulls to shoot, so you really get an idea of how your rifle likes it.

WRITE IT DOWN.  Get a notebook, . If you want to get fancy, with all the regular info on the ammo, get the Lot number, and the date manufactured. Measure the groups you shoot for groups. Note if their are misfeeds. 

I have a Mini 14 that absolutely loved a case of Norinco .223 55 grainers I bought. It was very accurate. I saved several hundred rounds of that, with the note it is excellent with the Mini 14.

Ammo companies have come a long way, and are usually pretty consistent lot to lot. But until you start reloading, keep track of what shoots very well in your rifle, and then buy as much of the same lot number as you can to "put up." It's kind of like canning spaghetti sauce...store bought.

Considering how most Commies are hard headed idjits I want armor piercing projectiles....

When hand loaded M855 pills seem to be quite accurate in my carbine. I've got a steel 30 cal ammo can full of them I reloaded. And ~400 more projectiles in my supplies cabinet.

6 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

Considering how most Commies are hard headed idjits I want armor piercing projectiles....

When hand loaded M855 pills seem to be quite accurate in my carbine. I've got a steel 30 cal ammo can full of them I reloaded. And ~400 more projectiles in my supplies cabinet.

See, just like strawberry jam...     :segrin:

One other thing. You might want to check with the range you shoot at, because some won't let you shoot steel core ammo due to the damage it does to their targets.

• Like 5

Keep in mind barrel twist also when choosing a bullet weight.  I grew fond of the 69 Grain IMI Razor Core.  I have not bought ammo for at least a couple of years, but the IMI seems to be of good quality and reasonable cost.  I am not familiar with current pricing or availability.