I've mentioned the 9 MM PCC I was building in several other threads over the past few months. I got it in and the BCG would not run because of some extractor issues so I bought a new BCG with an AR style extractor and got it up and running.  I had waited several months for some parts and finally had to go a different supply route tan what I desired but it came out OK. I will be doing my first attempt at painting this one as I want it to be a bit different.  I'll do it with brushes so you all will be entertained as that goes in another thread.

Nothing fancy as it is a K&E matched /upper/lower with a MAGPUL grip set up for GLOCK magazines. 16" BHW 9 MM barrel threaded. It has a mil-spec FCG in place but I did do the JP aftermarket springs so the pull is very nice and much more to my liking. A Holosun 503CU is up top with a BTE sling adapter thrown in for a bit of different.  BTE helped me out with a buffer and a heavier spring set up like he uses in his builds.  

I shot it in the desert for function the other day so knew it would run at this point. Yesterday, Monday, was the day we babysit my Grandson if you call a 5"1"/150 lb 9 yo a baby...LOL  He got a Red Ryder last Christmas, I got the adult one BTW, and we had made one run to the desert earlier in the year. At that time he also shot my Crossman 160, the magnum of the old school days, and a cheap BB pistol his mom bought. Of course we had the set down and hands on safety instruction on our first trip and one prior to this one. He is a tad ADD but he is 100% hooked into this and his attention is good . He grasps and can parrot he rules back and he gets a double heaping as his Gmom/ Debbi is also an accomplished competition shooter and has shot the US Nationals with me  along with the S&W Women's Invitational National Match. She is an excellent teacher in working with new shooters. 

Headed out and found a place out in the desert that was nice and quiet yesterday and set up some paper targets and the ubiquitous cat/tuna cans reactive targets.  A quick safety lesson and feedback session and familiarization with the Red Ryder and the 160 and we were off. Like me he is left eye dominant and right handed so to the left shoulder we went.  Loaded up the RR and he proceeded to make plunking noises. Got him in the target zone at about 10 yards and he did well. He was doing about 3/4 on the cans so that was muy bueno.  He got tired cocking the rifle so we rested and moved on to the Crossman. I dropped two powerlets in the piece and gassed it up. He shot about 30 shots and was tearing it up. He likes that bigger bullet and no cocking. This one is a nice rifle that I've whacked many a ground squirrel with out yonder.   

We took a hydration break and moved on to the finale for the day. I got the PCC out and we had a long session on how things worked and the importance of safety on this one.  I explained the magazine and how to load it and about trigger discipline.   I had not sighted the dot in so took a whack at a 50 yard rock and spun the turrets to get it close enough. 

So time to get the boy rocking with a 9 MM.  I got him set up with his muffs to augment the shooting glasses he had been wearing.   Fitment is everything.

JWyFNOn.jpg

Muffs and gear In place we took the obligatory range ready pic.  I've got my USM SOG hat on to make it big time..LOL

TpihBA8.jpg

So we get on target and Debbi worked on stance with him a bit so he was more comfortable.  Here he is getting the safety off after addressing his targets and getting his natural point of aim.  There is one round in the chamber at this time. One at a time before the big time. 

hgnT30p.jpg

First shot going out. Five seconds later and there is a dead Charlie Tuna can flying!!

esitZJc.jpg

Checking the hit out. You can't see the big grin on the boy but it was there.

qcGOY6c.jpg

We did several one shot reps after this one. He was taught how to load the magazine. and he proceed ed to shoot several more rounds down range. It was about 102 so we wrapped it up after a short time.  Next time I'll have my huge umbrella and we'll take our time.  All told for a first outing everyone of us had a great time. I talked with him at home and asked which rifle he liked best and of course it was the 9MM.  He found the recoil to be fine for him and was not afraid of it. I had him watch as I did the sight in shot so he knew it wouldn't kick the snot out of him.  WE didn't shoot his little BB pistol but I have been instructed by his MeMa to get him a "good" pistol that will work every time.  Oh my, I get to buy a new shootin' iron!! I'll have to look at Pyramid Air Guns this week.

I hope you enjoyed the little report.  As he progresses I'll post up.

Greg

PS: Before we left I had Debbi shoot the rifle. She loves red dots on her competition handguns so there was no learning curve. She hadn't touched a rifle in about 10 years but she sure proved anyone doing wrong will find out how bad it would get if they got her attention. She ran the three cans just like she was shooting with the big boys again and the two shots on the paper were plenty centered for SD work.  She was grinning even more than Zack was. She loved the dot and how well the rifle felt.  Maybe I have an excuse to build another one. I told her she will enjoy it in FA on my M16 and she giggled just a tad. :ZAB:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Loving it!

That’s fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just does not get any better than that. 

Congratulations PaPaw   !

Sweet!

Posted (edited)

Getting the youngsters out is always a great day. Adding more family to the outing just adds icing on the cake.:thumbs2:

By the way, PSA has a daily deal on 9mm lower blems for $219. I bought one for some unknown reason.

Edited by Recondo 101

40 minutes ago, Recondo 101 said:

Getting the youngsters out is always a great day. Adding more family to the outing just adds icing on the cake.:thumbs2:

By the way, PSA has a daily deal on 9mm lower blems for $219. I bought one for some unknown reason.

Greg is well known as being a bad influence. 

I am considering the same thing, although I am considering swapping one of the 5.56 (multi-caliber) 

stripped lowers in the deal. I already have a few gigantor Glock 9mm mags on hand, for when I had it in my mind to pick up a G26.    If I don't swap, I may gamble on the prices for lowers, bolts, etc. coming down in the next few months...

31 minutes ago, Retcop said:

Greg is well known as being a bad influence. 

I am considering the same thing, although I am considering swapping one of the 5.56 (multi-caliber) 

stripped lowers in the deal. I already have a few gigantor Glock 9mm mags on hand, for when I had it in my mind to pick up a G26.    If I don't swap, I may gamble on the prices for lowers, bolts, etc. coming down in the next few months...

I am going to buy a drop in adapter for my M16 for the GLOCK mags. They are about $80.00 and that is quote a bit less than the lower I'm running. Any upper will do BTW. I MIGHT see a 10MM in my future though. I have a barrel source lined up.

Greg

• Haha 1

PSA has 9mm complete 10.5” MOE blem uppers for $299,  puts you in the house at just over $5 and I have an extra 2 MOA Gilmore dot so away we go. I also have about 6 Glock 9mm mags and no Glocks left. I got out of the Glock business all together, back a few years ago. 

You don't happen to have one of the GLOCK factory magazine loaders laying around you don't need. I'm in the hunt for one.

Greg

7 hours ago, GLShooter said:

You don't happen to have one of the GLOCK factory magazine loaders laying around you don't need. I'm in the hunt for one.

Greg

Greg,

I'll check also, but I believe I only have one. 

When I traded my Gen 2 Glock G19 off decades ago, I'm sure the mag loader went with it. 

I'll check with my son in laws too.

john

Thanks John.

Greg

Sorry, I never owned a Glock mag loader.

3 hours ago, Recondo 101 said:

Sorry, I never owned a Glock mag loader.

Me either but then I've never owned a GLOCK..lol

Greg