I'd like to hear what some thoughts on this topic. Would you rather carry two rifles, one for cqb and a second as a reece rifle or carry a cqb ands a reece upper with one lower to swap out. Last choice would to build a rifle that could do both jobs with performance somewhere in between a cqb and reece rifle. I am really wondering that if some of ya'll would try to build a "do it all" set up, what would you build? Thanks

• Like 1

I'd like to hear what some thoughts on this topic. Would you rather carry two rifles, one for cqb and a second as a reece rifle or carry a cqb ands a reece upper with one lower to swap out. Last choice would to build a rifle that could do both jobs with performance somewhere in between a cqb and reece rifle. I am really wondering that if some of ya'll would try to build a "do it all" set up, what would you build? Thanks
I would take into thought the area I live my personal capability like for me ill admit I'm not to great at long distance shooting I do alot better with speed and close range with a eotech and maybe a magnifier I live in the middle of no where and if shtf unless it's nuclear or something like that I'm staying right here and I don't really have neighbors or anything so not much use for cqb in my situation but say you live in the middle of a big city and you gotta get out of the city and you have alot of building to pass through or subway tunnels or smaller alley ways id look at a cqb or if u live on a big farm like me and not much around you I'd do a recce so I'd use eotech with a magnifier or a lpvo something like that you just gotta think about what your plan is for shtf your surroundings and your capabilities sorry its a bit long but in my opinion the last thing I'd really wanna do is carry 2 rifles I'd rather have my rifle and my glock and carry the extra weight in ammo instead of another gun or uppper/lower agian this is just my opinion I'm no professional

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i agree with a lot of what you are saying. I live in a town that's rural but has a good population. So if I had to leave it would be mostly cqb until I get to the city limits then its farm land. In my situation i'm trying to get good at 250-300 yard shot with my red dot. I tell ya what though, i've seen some youtube videos of fellas shooting 500 yards plus with LPVOs and then they are dead on running the LPVO at 1x for cqb, I mean really good!! I just hope those guys are friendly lol. I like LPVOs but the only thing that worries me about them is their durability. I guess there is no correct answer to this question because there are just too many variables at play. Thank you Ram Rod for the reply. I was recently in your part of the state on my way to Uwharrie. 

• Like 1

i agree with a lot of what you are saying. I live in a town that's rural but has a good population. So if I had to leave it would be mostly cqb until I get to the city limits then its farm land. In my situation i'm trying to get good at 250-300 yard shot with my red dot. I tell ya what though, i've seen some youtube videos of fellas shooting 500 yards plus with LPVOs and then they are dead on running the LPVO at 1x for cqb, I mean really good!! I just hope those guys are friendly lol. I like LPVOs but the only thing that worries me about them is their durability. I guess there is no correct answer to this question because there are just too many variables at play. Thank you Ram Rod for the reply. I was recently in your part of the state on my way to Uwharrie. 
I cant comment to much about lpvos I don't know a whole lot about them I actually started a topic a bit ago on here about lpvos because I didn't fully understand first and second focal planes I actuslly think you commented on it a minute ago I'd like to eventually get one and get some time behind one and yea I went up to uwharrie a while back to go hiking its beautiful up there hopefully you can get some more experienced people then me to answer your post as well im sure alot of people will have alot more things to add to what I said that I didn't even think about taking into consideration

• Like 1

Yea i commented on the eye relief on an LPVO not being too great. Have you ever shot a magnifier behind a red dot? If you have the eye relief is similar to that. I totally agreed with your answer on this topic though.  Makes perfect sense to carry a handgun as well and the situations you explained. If you're set up is based around cqb I guess it would make sense to try to keep yourself in an area that would work best for that set up and stay out of wide open places and if you have a reece rifle it would be best to stay outside and stay from the places you mentioned like tunnels and such. Look at the Marines in Iraq though, clearing houses and buildings with M16A4 rifles with 20" barrels. 

• Like 1

Yea i commented on the eye relief on an LPVO not being too great. Have you ever shot a magnifier behind a red dot? If you have the eye relief is similar to that. I totally agreed with your answer on this topic though.  Makes perfect sense to carry a handgun as well and the situations you explained. If you're set up is based around cqb I guess it would make sense to try to keep yourself in an area that would work best for that set up and stay out of wide open places and if you have a reece rifle it would be best to stay outside and stay from the places you mentioned like tunnels and such. Look at the Marines in Iraq though, clearing houses and buildings with M16A4 rifles with 20" barrels. 
My current go to rifle is my noveske it's got a eotech exps-2 with the g33 magnifier I had a Dainel deffense with a aimpoint comp m4 really wish wouldn't of got rid of it thinking about eventually buying a DD m4a1 put my eotech on it and getting a vortex rzr hd gen 2 for my noveske being its got a SS barrel its slightly more accurate then all of my DDs were

For CQB I want something that is short and hits HARD, like my 10½" .300BLK pistol w/LPVO.

2jgZBas.jpg?1

If I want the best of both worlds I'll grab my original AR-180 w/Armson OEG.

IrBki6u.jpg

In an AR-15 platform I could alternatively snatch the 16" Dissy (the can is on a QD flash hider that could easily come off).

AeXJ0Tn.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ram rod said:

My current go to rifle is my noveske it's got a eotech exps-2 with the g33 magnifier I had a Dainel deffense with a aimpoint comp m4 really wish wouldn't of got rid of it thinking about eventually buying a DD m4a1 put my eotech on it and getting a vortex rzr hd gen 2 for my noveske being its got a SS barrel its slightly more accurate then all of my DDs were

That Noveske is a very, very nice rifle!! I like DD but the Noveske is a beast. I have an astigmatism and I can’t use an Eotech unfortunately. I wanted one really bad too. 

1 minute ago, Damien28601 said:

@Longhair I really like that AR-180, how does it shoot? 

I love it! That's probably why I've kept it for over 35 years.

I don't shoot it much since I can't get many replacement parts for it anymore. But, it's also why I'm seriously wanting to get one of the new BRN-180 uppers from Brownell's.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:24 PM, Damien28601 said:

Figure our what you want & set up the gun & then take a class from a great instructor, not some fly by night NRA guy reading out of a book, but a true teacher. Things will change once you take a class and push your equipment & learn.

1 properly set up AR is all you need, will do it all effectively using a top quality (expensive) LPVO

Using a red dot and magnifier is so 1990's & the LPVO beats that setup hands down :laugh:

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer a SHTF carbine with a red-dot of some sort. My SHTF carbine is a M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone and it will serve the purpose quite well as I am in a very suburban area. I am well protected in my home and have long distance weapons to take care of any threats at a much further distance should we have the need to evacuate into a rural setting or set up a defensive posture on a building with multiple stories. 

FLUKTmn.jpg

This is me in my SHTF loadout.

7RP9mH7.jpg

All in all, every individual has their own needs and wants when it comes to a SHTF weapon and gear. You have to determine yours.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:36 AM, Longhair said:

I love it! That's probably why I've kept it for over 35 years.

I don't shoot it much since I can't get many replacement parts for it anymore. But, it's also why I'm seriously wanting to get one of the new BRN-180 uppers from Brownell's.

Longhair, have you had a chance to see in person or shoot one of the Brownells BRN 180's ?

If you have gotten your mitts on one, would like to know what you thought of the build quality, please. 

Did not know (recall ?) you had an original. WAY cool !

I wonder where we would be today with that platform if that is what we adopted...

• Like 1

I have a red dot and an Eotech on each AR, Original sights on M1A and Mini 14. 

I have a son-in-law who is a Veteran Infantry Sergeant.  

The talent for being able to hit what he wants to with original style metal sights is quite impressive. 

All. Day. Long.  I'm not surprised though because I am a geezer who had what we used to call peep sights on my rifles, and it would surprise you what you can hit with what you train with. I am NOT saying iron sights are better than modern optics, except for durability. That gap has gotten smaller, but I don't think anything can beat well designed iron sights. 

Someone posted a video a while back of a guy who took a bolt action Mauser (IIRC was WWII vintage) and was making 800 yard shot on a mountain slope.  Since a rear peep sight ring takes a focus point out of the equation, I don't think people who have not used them understand how nifty they are. You eye/brain naturally and subconsciously centers the front sight in the circle, so all that is considered is the front post and the target. I encourage everyone to try it, and to trust yourself as the ranges get farther. I think you will surprise yourself. 

I'm just trying to say the most important part is the guy behind the trigger under stress that matters most, and I encourage every shooter to become proficient with iron sights on all their weapons, as they are least likely to fail. Getting proficient with iron sights also teaches the discipline of fundamentals more quickly than other sights, in my experience.  

2 hours ago, Retcop said:

Longhair, have you had a chance to see in person or shoot one of the Brownells BRN 180's ?

If you have gotten your mitts on one, would like to know what you thought of the build quality, please. 

Did not know (recall ?) you had an original. WAY cool !

I wonder where we would be today with that platform if that is what we adopted...

I haven't had an opportunity to check one out in person, but the videos I've seen lead me to believe that the quality is there.

GLShooter has one, and I've been waiting a veritable eternity for an in-depth range report on it.

I sincerely wish that we had adopted the AR-18 instead of the M-16 that ended up being Band-Aided up cash cow for the Kennedy's. It's far less complicated in it's construction, and handier out of the box for multiple applications. 

Honestly, I never wanted an AR-15, just like I never wanted the club-like Ruger 10/22, but I ended up with several of both out of necessity created by their popularity with the aftermarket parts manufacturers.