Flesh Wound

Aaaand yea, it's Monday.

Yep! Monday for sure.

Back in 1998 or so they were adding a warehouse to my building. Part of the nightly procedures was to walk around the building to make sure everything was locked up and nothing had been left outside for pickup at a darker time. Well, when they were building the warehouse the first step was to dig the trench for the footing of what would become the loading dock at the back corner of the existing building. Having been outside that day I watched them dig an 8 foot deep trench 3 feet wide that was exactly lined up with the corner of the building and also where there was a downspout for the gutters on the roof. The had left the downspout in place and after the construction crew left we had a thunderstorm. It wouldn't have taken much rain to fill the trench and we had a gully washer. It was still lightly raining and the assistant manager called me to walk the building perimeter with her. She carried an umbrella and we were walking. When we got to the corner of the building there was still water flowing from the downspout and the trench was completely full right up to the edge of the asphalt and overflowing. She started running on her tiptoes to cross what looked like just a trickle of water on the asphalt. Longest second of my life as it played out in my head what was about to happen. I pictured it, her running tiptoe right into water that was well and truly over hear head and everything disappearing but the umbrella. It was one of those situations where the devil sits on one shoulder telling you "Oh baby, this is going to be awesome and all you have to do is watch it play out" and the angel on the other shoulder saying "She might get hurt falling into the trench". I swear that second took a lifetime to get through and then I reached out and grabbed her arm and yanked her back from the step that would have sent her ass deep to an elephant into the muddy water. She yelped because I didn't really have time to warn her, just grabbed her and my hand may have brushed her chest. She asked, "What the hell?" and I picked up a piece of lumber they had stacked next to the trench and dipped it in the water until it went completely out of sight. 

I still think about it to this day, did I do the right thing? Really, how badly could she have been hurt? It would have been epic to see it happen but at the same time if she had been hurt I would have felt guilty. Damn the choices life makes us make each day.

No good deed goes unpunished.

1 hour ago, Retcop said:

No good deed goes unpunished.

And that is why Monday follows Sunday!