AR15Armory.com

OK Dillon Press users Front and Center Please

BushXM15

How many of you have tweaked or put improvements on Your Dillon presses ?.

I've done a few over the years but honestly  None so rewarding as the Primer slide bearing extension plate !.  :party2:

On more than a couple of occasions  I'd  been the victim of slip slide wobbly primer charge bar misalignment ,as in Non Return aka Empty primer !.

So I picked up a unit from Jeff in TX. and it's a dandy FIX :thumb: . I've owned a 550 Dillon since 88 and Lord only knows how many rounds I've spun out ?. However for number of years I was shooting 250- 1200 Rounds a Week in pistol fodder alone and I've shot far far more Rifle rounds than pistol rounds :ack:

MY only regret is I'd wished I'd gotten this unit SOONER :thumbs2:

UFO lights on both the 550, and 650. Roller handle on the 650. I have a strong mount on the 550. Still kind of meh about the strong mount, puts it pretty high above the bench. But it's nice for standing though. Endoscope mounted in tool head of the 650 so I don't have to peer into ever case for a visual. Beside that I've been meaning to order some of those speed nuts for the powder dispenser rod.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wes556 said:

UFO lights on both the 550, and 650. Roller handle on the 650. I have a strong mount on the 550. Still kind of meh about the strong mount, puts it pretty high above the bench. But it's nice for standing though. Endoscope mounted in tool head of the 650 so I don't have to peer into ever case for a visual. Beside that I've been meaning to order some of those speed nuts for the powder dispenser rod.

With exception of endoscope into the 650 ,I also have done those . FW has the speed powder knobs and those are Sweet :thumb:.

I just finished  loading a Butt load of 9mm's NO clue as to how many until I box them maybe 6-800 ?. I have several lose boxes of pistol primers ( Not sealed in carton cases ) maybe 10K ? So can't really put a number until I box them . Still got the old Palm knob handle also have a roller handle I made but never have taken the time Lol to change it . Seems like  I'm always switching calibers ,the curse of Multi Gun reloading :facepalm:

With exception of endoscope into the 650 ,I also have done those . FW has the speed powder knobs and those are Sweet :thumb:.
I just finished  loading a Butt load of 9mm's NO clue as to how many until I box them maybe 6-800 ?. I have several lose boxes of pistol primers ( Not sealed in carton cases ) maybe 10K ? So can't really put a number until I box them . Still got the old Palm knob handle also have a roller handle I made but never have taken the time Lol to change it . Seems like  I'm always switching calibers ,the curse of Multi Gun reloading :facepalm:
That's my favorite part of the Dillon just grab another preloaded tool head and off to the races.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wes556 said:

That's my favorite part of the Dillon just grab another preloaded tool head and off to the races.

I've got #21 and #14 Powder measures , the main complaint is Small and Large primer change over . It' Not difficult but does require precise setup to avoid frustration  . Pistol stuff Now 650 but damn caliber changes AREN'T inexpensive anymore .

I used to pay $10.00 per toolhead from Dillon and Now OMG $45.00 plus shipping and that's just on the 550 :ohmy: So Jofer  is Now MY tool head supplier  #2 $37.00 delivered :thumbs2:

I guess like Newbe I added a roller handle to the 650. I can't imagine not having a case feeder on my 650. I liked it so much I added a Dillon feeder to my Star.lol 

I do have strong mounts on the 550 and 650. And I added Dillon auto drop powder measures to two of my 300's.

Greg

I have a 550 mounted on an Inline Fabrication quick change base that gives me 2 AKRO bins on a moveable arm above the bullet tray and two AKRO bins on the output side, roller handle, tool rack that mounts to the base behind the press, and the light that drops in the center of the 550 tool head. I have 8 pistol caliber tool heads each with a powder measure and two rifle tool heads with a powder measure that I move when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, redbarron06 said:

best things on my RL550, is the DAA powder adjustment knob.  Actuall click adjustments.  I also now have the DAA case feeder.  The jury is out on that one.  When it works its pretty awesome, when there is a snag it can be painful.

Now to see what bar I have in the measure I use for pistol rounds as it only fits the small bar. Churning that economy baby!!

Greg

FYI : Remember plastic has a finite life ,so keep extra primer receiver tube tips around ,otherwise it's NOT gonna be a progressive loader .

Switched out small primers for large ones ,then proceeded to change Dies and crank out some Big Boys . Well that was as far as I got ,as I started to prime a butt load of cases ; A portion of the plastic tip slipped onto the priming anvil cup and I immediately had 8 primers all over !.

Yeah I've got extras also but their  ALSO ROTTEN :cussing:  Highway Robbery is the ONLY comment I'm making, at buying new tips at today's EXTORTION hijacking :angry::killer308:

You need to go old school and get some full metal, ala LYMAN,  or metal tipped primer tubes like the old DiLLONS. The automatic Dillon primer tube filler uses a solid metal set up too. All my plastic ones are around 25 years old. None have gotten rotten, yet. Oddly I found a couple extra ones in a package with a tube still in the wrapper that I have never used.as I was inspecting mine right now.  Personally I liked the original Dillons that are a plastic semi-rigid tubing with the metal pick up tips in the end.  The ones I have were purchased right on 40 years ago when i got my first Dillon 300's.

Greg

On 10/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, GLShooter said:

You need to go old school and get some full metal, ala LYMAN,  or metal tipped primer tubes like the old DiLLONS. The automatic Dillon primer tube filler uses a solid metal set up too. All my plastic ones are around 25 years old. None have gotten rotten, yet. Oddly I found a couple extra ones in a package with a tube still in the wrapper that I have never used.as I was inspecting mine right now.  Personally I liked the original Dillons that are a plastic semi-rigid tubing with the metal pick up tips in the end.  The ones I have were purchased right on 40 years ago when i got my first Dillon 300's.

Greg

All metal ? :CONFUS12:  ALL MY Primer tubes are Aluminum and have plastic tips on them ,so as to pickup primers and not allow them too come back out of the tube ,other end secures with a drilled hole and clip pin . The stations auto priming tube is also aluminum with a special dispensing plastic tip ; Similar but Different than standard priming tubes and their tips . It centers on a protruding pin ,as there's a slot in the plastic and when the primer shuttle reverses back to the primer pickup ,it tickles the plastic surround and dispenses #1 primer per stroke ; Supposedly :ROFLLMAO:which Mine fails to do at the moment .

I've had MY 550 since 1988-89 and I've changed tips over the years and Dillon would just throw in extra wear parts ,when I ordered additional accessories or !?.  NOT anymore  they're charging for EVERYTHING now and at exorbitant prices I might add ,compared to 10-32 years ago .

What pisses ME off the most is the " Parts Kit " at $20-30 plus shipping of which 80% ISN'T needed or used  :cussing:

Greg : can You or someone else Post a photo of the ALL METAL tube ? . Would sincerely Appreciate that :thumb: