AR15Armory.com

Spotting Scope Recommendation

DesertSand56

New to AR shooting and looking for recommendations for a spotting scope to assist with sighting/zeroing my AR. Since I'm new to the AR platform I did a rough sighting in of my AR at using open sights the range yesterday at 100 yards. I arbitrarily chose 100 yards and was wondering what would be a good distance for a new shooter to zero in a new AR. Is 100 yards scope distance? Definitely looking for a spotting scope to assist in this process (a lot easier and safer at the rifle distance range). Are there any good/decent spotting scopes in the sub $100 range? Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by DesertSand56
Added info

100 yards is pretty much the standard for zeroing magnified optics on 95% of the rifles so your good to go on that.  I certainly would not zero a normal 556 or even a 308 out past that.  

There are a lot of good spotting scopes out there but, I am not aware of any that are in the sub $100 range new.  What you are going to run into is glass quality and clarity at that price point.  If you are looking at getting clear view of basically 1/4 holes 100 yards away you are better off raising your budget.  I would also say that if you are only doing this for zeroing, I would save the money and put in the steps.   Now if this is going to expand into hunting or long range shooting then I would definitely look into making more of an investment depending on what your goal is.  I currently have 2 spotting scopes that I use for long range shooting but never go to zero a rifle without them because it is a secondary mission for the equipment.  One is a very large and heavy 20-60 and the other is a 15-45.  The 15-45 has a mil scale reticle so not only is it powerful enough to see my impacts at 100 yards, I can use the scale in the reticle to make very quick and accurate adjustments.  At longer ranges and can use the reticle for windage and elevation adjustment for 2nd shot hits.  I have done this out well past 1500 yards just spotting the round impact and trace.   

I am actually looking into a 3rd scope that is more of a hand held monocular but can be mounted on a tripod.  It also has a ranging reticle but is more for light weight scouting but I am sure it will come in handy for zeroing larger rounds like 30 cal.  

Just an opinion.  What ever you decide on put a good deal of though into a solid tripod.  Even with better glass wind can easily mess up a good picture and a solid tripod will make for a much less frustrating time at the range.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DesertSand56 said:

Thanks for the info. 100 yards sight in would require a scope? Just using open sights right now. What would be a good sight in distance for just open sights?

different schools on this.  Army does 25 meters I think the Marines do 33.  I do 25 for irons or a dot because it is what I am used to.  Also at that range you can get a very inexpensive set of binoculars and see those hits.  Check your sight manufactures instructions but most of them are in the area of 1 click is 1/4 inch at 25 yards.  Done shoot once and make a adjustment.  Get a good 3 round group, no bigger than a nickel then make an adjustment off the center of the group.  Remember you are going to chase the group with the front site and run away from it with the rear.  If the group is low move the front site down if the group is to the right move the rear to the left.  Concentrate on making the groups tight, then just move the group where you want it to be on paper.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DesertSand56 said:

Thanks for the video Longhair. Have a better understanding of zero ranges now. 36 yard zero seems to make sense.

I just figured that it could be helpful to have a little more insight relative to your zero options.

I'm old enough that most of my shooting is done with glass, and I'm not shy about twisting the elevation knob or utilizing a BDC reticle. Folks shooting with irons or RDS are less likely to want to make adjustments on the fly, so the video above is handy for deciding what setup will best fit their needs.

• Thanks 1