AR15Armory.com

Secret Hornady Grendel bullet?

xonlyj

Hi guys! Been away for a while. Fishing was just too good! 

I was wondering about the bullet used in the 6.5 Grendel ammo sold at Sportsman's exclusively. This stuff has shot great for me! The American Gunner ammo was sold in a 200 rd ammo can(?) and used Hornady brass and, I assume, a Hornady 123 gr HPBT pill. Where can I find this bullet? It appears that Hornady made one at one time. I've tried the Nosler equivalent but the ogive seems to be much shallower and does not seem to work well for me. I know there's more to the cartridge than just the pill but it may be a good place to start.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 9:51 PM, xonlyj said:

I'll try them thanks. Now to find some .310 bullets for the ARski.

Bruno AZ.   has them ;       NO can find .310 as their in short supply apparently  so Prvi .311 or nothing 

Hornady Bullets - ELD Match - 6.5 cal - 123 Grain (100) SALE

$38.00 (in stock)

Powder valley

Prvi .311 / 303 Cal 150 Grain Soft Point Boat Tail (50 ct.)

Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on 1 customer rating
(1 customer review)

$15.68

I went straight to Nosler for their .310 pill. I get very good accuracy with them, Right after I got those SPS got a supply of seconds in stock. Not hot on the soft points as I have had feeding issues in my AR. I stretch the COAL out to 2.225 on that load.

I made a ladder of the SSTs using CFE 223 and a CCI primer on the Grendel. Mixed results, Tried some PPU BTHPs too. Basically 2" down to 1 1/4" five round groups. Then I load a mag of the treasured factory loads from Sportsmans. 3/4" or better. Perhaps a different powder? Is any available? As always thx and God bless.