AR15Armory.com

Michael Nesmith dead at 78

Zephyr One/Zero

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/monkees-singer-michael-nesmith-dead

"Michael Nesmith, a singer/guitarist for the Monkees, has died. He was 78.

"I’m heartbroken," bandmate Micky Dolenz told Fox News in a statement on Friday.  "I’ve lost a dear friend and partner. I’m so grateful that we could spend the last couple of months together doing what we loved best – singing, laughing, and doing shtick. I’ll miss it all so much. Especially the shtick. Rest in peace, Nez. All my love, Mick."

The star passed away on Friday from natural causes, Rolling Stone reported.

"With Infinite Love we announce that Michael Nesmith has passed away this morning in his home, surrounded by family, peacefully and of natural causes," his family told the outlet in a statement. "We ask that you respect our privacy at this time and we thank you for the love and light that all of you have shown him and us."

Mike Nesmith on the set of the television show The Monkees circa 1967 in Los Angeles, California.

RIP Mike.  The Monkeys were a phenomenon yet to be repeated since.  They were a bunch of kids thrown together by TV producers to do a pop music TV show which nobody thought would actually break into the music scene.  In fact, they were so raw, Mike was billed as the only one that had a music background but oh boy did he.  In the process of doing their TV show, the other guys learned and not only did their tunes climb the pop charts of the day but they began to do live performances.  Low and behold, a made up early Beatles knoxkoff TV band actually became a band.   They had a basic formula that was a hit.  They did harmony rock and roll with fun tunes everyone could sing to and they did.  I bet it would be hard to find anyone my generation that didn't know some if not all the words to such tunes as Daydream Believer, etc. At a time, the rock scene had turned to teaching us all a social lesson, they were just fun.  Contrary to alternate history now, those were trying times especially for us youth of the day and The Monkeys were a welcomed relief.  At a time we were all suppose to either hate a war or go fight a war, they were "Hey, let's just have fun and forget about it all." 

Despite all the Hollywood glitter and BS, my generation accepted these guys.  In many ways, it was a freaking miracle. 

Tj

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, BushXM15 said:

RIP : Michael Nesmith  . :respect: Personally never cared for the Monkeys ,however a couple of the individuals were OK ,Mike being one and Davy the other .

An avid fly fishing enthusiast, Davy Jones retired to Central Pennsylvania and became a fixture on Penns Creek, one of PA’s finest limestone trout streams up until his untimely death.  Only one is left standing… Damn time keeps marching on.  

RIP Mike, you were a true musician of merit…

• Like 1