AR15Armory.com

New Cartridge, Federal 30 Super Carry

Video is it being shot in a 1911, where you get 12 rounds in a gun that only holds 8 .45ACP. 

But then you look at the ballistics.

Looks like a chopped .30 Carbine and behaves like a chopped .30 Carbine. 100gr bullet at 1250 fps. I am sure that number is from the 5" 1911 and not the shorter barrel S&W Shield EZ. For being "the greatest development of the 21st Century for concealed carry" is sure seems a lot like the .32 H&R Magnum that was introduced about 40 years ago. And how many of those did you ever see in a concealed carry rig? Granted this is an auto but 40 years ago, small framed revolvers were "state of the art" in concealed carry world.

You gain 2 rounds over an equal sized 9mm which is entirely due to the reduced diameter of the cartridge. Selling point seems to be low recoil while maintaining the ballistics (sort of) of the 9mm. Well, no shat it kicks less than a .45 in a full sized 1911. So does the .22 TCM but that is beside the point. I don't think anyone is worried about magazine capacity of 9mm carry guns. Most hold 10-12 already and the only advantage of the new cartridge over that is it can be had in a .380 sized gun, you know if that .380 sized gun is able to seat a magazine with the front to back length of a 9mm magazine. That there are no .380 sized pistols being converted to .30 Super Carry in the initial offering tells me a lot of manufacturers of handguns looked at it and said, Yeah, no. 

Now, I hate to be a naysayer but if even the handgun manufacturers are taking a wait and see attitude, this thing is already dead on the vine. I am sure it will go bang and hit what you are aiming at, but don't we already have plenty of cartridges which do that? 

And WTF Federal, how much R&D time did you put into this? You know, time and money you could have spent on loading machines during the current 2 year ammo panic.

Edited by MontanaLon

I doubt if two extra rounds mean much after I fire 14 from my Browning High Power. Those 9 MM 90 grain XTP's can be loaded faster and will dang sure make a bigger hole hole going in and coming out than this wannabe.

Greg

On 1/10/2022 at 10:27 AM, GLShooter said:

I doubt if two extra rounds mean much after I fire 14 from my Browning High Power. Those 9 MM 90 grain XTP's can be loaded faster and will dang sure make a bigger hole hole going in and coming out than this wannabe.

Greg

Yep, I think this cartridge will catch on about as well as this thread did. I see a big problem for this cartridge being it has no new gun attached to it that has been specifically designed for it. Now, had they gotten someone to produce a double stack say the size of a Ruger LCP that held 10 rounds of the new round and offered a step up in velocity or bullet weight or better yet, velocity and bullet weight over a .380 then it may have caught on just a little until people realize .380 sized guns are hard enough to shoot in .380 because of the recoil hurting and more of that would be downright painful. It is almost a solution looking for a problem at this point. 

Next thing you know it will show up in pistol caliber carbines and the owners of M1 Carbines will shake their heads and wonder "why?".

We are rapidly approaching the point of cartridge saturation. You can literally buy a cartridge and firearm in any caliber from .17 to .458 that offers increased velocity, in 200 fps increments, from subsonic to the highest reasonable velocity attained by burning propellant gases.

The next step should be a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

• 2 weeks later...

There are "new" guns attached - Smith & Wesson is going to release a .30SC Shield Plus - which will have 14+1 capacity, IIRC. There is also supposed to be a Shield EZ in the new round along with their new CSX is also going to be released in .30SC, Nighthawk is releasing a 1911 in the round - and that's what we know now. I expect .30SC conversion barrels to be available sooner or later for any of the popular 9mm framed pistols - a Glock 17 might wind up having 21 or 22 rounds in the mag.

The biggest boon I can see here - are for those who are recoil sensitive. They could go with the lighter "hot 380" loads and probably shoot easier than with a light 9mm round.

I don't see it displacing 9x19 or .380 - and its a horrible time to introduce a new carry-caliber handgun round. Seems tone deaf, and like the answer to a question very few people have asked. Its going to be like .45GAP - there will be an initial flurry of buying because of the well-paid articles and videos on it - but give it 5 years and it'll be on Forgotten Weapons. Even the .357 Sig never *really* caught on outside of LE world, and LE has by and large transitioned back to 9x19. Even here in Texas, the DPS dropped their .357Sig P226 in favor of the P320 in 9mm.

THe only way its really going to catch fire is if they release this stuff CHEAPER than 9mm and have mountains of ammo available at launch.

That said - as a paper punching range toy - a new FN Hi Power in .30SC with a capacity of 20-22 rounds would be pretty sweet. Or a 2011 that would today be 17-20 rounds of 9mm could be a 24 or 25 round gun. For the competitive paper puncher crowd - a flat shooting, light recoiling, high capacity round could be an advantage.

I'm with you on down the road life expectancy on this one. It can't be used in USPSA or PPC. Bullseye could be shot in the Centerfire class but the 32 Long is the king their currently at my club. A conversion will require anew slide and magazines so it won't be cheap. I probably won't get one just like I don't own a SIG a 40 or a 10 MM. Oddly I do own a $1500 32 Long gun..lol

Greg

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, hkriflenut said:

I expect .30SC conversion barrels to be available sooner or later for any of the popular 9mm framed pistols - a Glock 17 might wind up having 21 or 22 rounds in the mag.

Any conversion would require a new slide as well as the head diameter is around 0.050 smaller and extraction and ejection could be problematic. I see the lack of other manufacturers not piling on with new offerings being a sign that even the most gunny folks are taking a wait and see attitude on this one.