Jump to content
AR15Armory.com

Pistol buffer


Recommended Posts

I'm new to ar15 firearms but see huge potential in being able to have several calibers of uppers and 1 or 2 lowers. I have a 5.56 223 rifle with the 22 LR conversion kit. I am a retired machinist and have a lathe. I would like to have a pistol setup with a short barrel exclusively for the 22. Seems to me from looking  at the adapter that there is no need for a buffer tube which cold make it more compact. Has anyone done this ?  If so how happy are you with it?  ATF problems?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, Welcome to the forum!

 

There are a few "plugs/adapters" you can purchase to cap off the buffer extension end.

Basic would be the Spikes Tactical plug. 

 

  4cVpXCt.jpg

 

KNS and Strike Industries have complete plates with Pic. rails on the end.  

 

MbMe8E2.jpg

KNS 

 

9RDFvfn.jpg

Strike Industries.

There are other companies that make these plug adapters...

Prices range from $ 20.00 to about $ 80.00+ range.

The KNS and Strike Industries are in the $ 60.00 range right now.

 

Have a dedicated 22LR pistol upper with a 9" barrel that I put together.      

 

bt0BbxF.jpg

 

Was thinking about getting the 4.5" barrel/BCG set from Right to Bear if they get them back in.

With that short a barrel I'd most likely end up with the KNS plug.

 

Hope that helps.

Thank you, 

 

Glenn 

Edited by geepee3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@geepee3 I was gonna answer, but really glad you did, much more comprehensive and thorough. Not only that, but I've been considering having a dedicated 22LR AR for the sole reason that I can eliminate the buffer tube and instead add a folding stock/brace, but my only question is more like an unorganized and incomplete thought process, please bear with me... So since it'll be dedicated, do I still get the CMMG(or other conversion kits IDK of) 22LR conversion kit, or is there a 22LR BCG that you use when it won't be for removing and installing at will. Naturally the barrel would be a 22LR AR barrel, or is it better/easier(benefits or drawbacks) to use a .223/5.56 chambered barrel vs an AR barrel chambered for 22LR(if such a thing exists, which I can't imagine it doesn't, LoL)? 

 

Sorry to high-jack your thread @arfor222, BTW welcome to the Arnory!!! Figured he answered the question pretty well, and being on the subject, my intrusion expands on the subject of 22LR AR's, which may be helpful to quite a few folks, I know geepee3's answer was helpful to me for sure. Again, welcome to the forums, hope to see you around again, there's a LOT of good people on here who have extensive knowledge and experience with, well, just about anything and everything, LoL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2022 at 11:50 PM, NewARBuilder87 said:

@geepee3 I was gonna answer, but really glad you did, much more comprehensive and thorough. Not only that, but I've been considering having a dedicated 22LR AR for the sole reason that I can eliminate the buffer tube and instead add a folding stock/brace, but my only question is more like an unorganized and incomplete thought process, please bear with me... So since it'll be dedicated, do I still get the CMMG(or other conversion kits IDK of) 22LR conversion kit, or is there a 22LR BCG that you use when it won't be for removing and installing at will. Naturally the barrel would be a 22LR AR barrel, or is it better/easier(benefits or drawbacks) to use a .223/5.56 chambered barrel vs an AR barrel chambered for 22LR(if such a thing exists, which I can't imagine it doesn't, LoL)? 

 

Sorry to high-jack your thread @arfor222, BTW welcome to the Arnory!!! Figured he answered the question pretty well, and being on the subject, my intrusion expands on the subject of 22LR AR's, which may be helpful to quite a few folks, I know geepee3's answer was helpful to me for sure. Again, welcome to the forums, hope to see you around again, there's a LOT of good people on here who have extensive knowledge and experience with, well, just about anything and everything, LoL

 

I have both a CMMG and Right to Bear 22LR dedicated uppers.

The CMMG is a carbine length (16.25") that I totally rebuilt with a MidwayUSA upper receiver/free float handguard combo I got on sale a few years back. 

 

3l0jJnK.jpg

 

And of course the RTB dedicated 22LR pistol upper.

 

2Ycy96n.jpg

 

The CMMG and RTB 22LR BCG's are both the same specs and interchangeable.

If your into building your own, Right to Bear sells barrel, BCG, magazine combos at a reasonable price.  

You will need a CMMG or RTB dedicated charging handle to go along with the combo. (Smaller size for the 22LR BCG)

 

aTmWzEk.jpg

 

As with anything else in these time... Question is when they'll have them in stock?

Thank you.

 

Glenn

 

 

 

Edited by geepee3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

geepee3,

I don't think I have ever seen an AR style handguard that is as wide and perfectly flat as the one you have on the Strike Industries, if I have this straight. 

 

Way cool. May have something to do with the camera angle, but it looks as if it is about 3 inches wide. (As a guess)

:thumb:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 12:40 PM, Retcop said:

geepee3,

I don't think I have ever seen an AR style handguard that is as wide and perfectly flat as the one you have on the Strike Industries, if I have this straight. 

 

Way cool. May have something to do with the camera angle, but it looks as if it is about 3 inches wide. (As a guess)

:thumb:

 

 

Not sure of what you're asking, John?

Original post is for plugs/adapters to use with a 22LR BCG that does not need a buffer tube to function.

Showing options from pictures the manufacturers have posted.

I have been thinking about doing what the OP mentioned to create an AR style pistol without the need or added length of a buffer tube.

And you know me... I do my due diligence to research these things.

Thank you.

 

Glenn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, geepee3 said:

 

Not sure of what you're asking, John?

Original post is for plugs/adapters to use with a 22LR BCG that does not need a buffer tube to function.

Showing options from pictures the manufacturers have posted.

I have been thinking about doing what the OP mentioned to create an AR style pistol without the need or added length of a buffer tube.

And you know me... I do my due diligence to research these things.

Thank you.

 

Glenn

I was just telling you the wide and flat handguard (not a buttstock) looked cool and useful....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, Retcop said:

I was just telling you the wide and flat handguard (not a buttstock) looked cool and useful....

 

Okay, think you mean the built in picatinny rail...

The "handguard" usage is what threw me.  :) 

It is the standard width of a milspec 1913 picatinny rail.

Thanks again.

 

Glenn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, Retcop said:

geepee3,

I don't think I have ever seen an AR style handguard that is as wide and perfectly flat as the one you have on the Strike Industries, if I have this straight. 

 

Way cool. May have something to do with the camera angle, but it looks as if it is about 3 inches wide. (As a guess)

:thumb:

 

Optical illusion.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...