AR15Armory.com

Truck Camper Update with Pics.

We'll she's finally home to stay.  I had to take her back so they could get a number for a warranty, a very small tear in the canvas so they could eventually replace it all.  Had me put it on a concrete platform that must have been at a 20 degree angle up a loose gravel mound.  Man, if I can load this thing on that, I can load it anywhere.   It was so bad I couldn't back up it except in four wheel drive.  

We're in the process of loading her up.  As many of you all know, you buy a new camper, its like buying a house or moving to an apartment.  You have to move in.  The difference in a Truck Camper, its more like stocking up a knew giant backpack.  Unless you want the backseat of your truck totally unusable with stuff, there's a size and weight issue.  In fact, we're using a lot of backpack gear, small light weight.  

Man is thing comfortable.  Full size queen bed is a Serta mattress which we topped with 2" memory foam topper, same we have on our bed at home.  I added a small folding step to make getting in and out of bed easier.  My boondocking gear, I bought using my Amex miles.  Bought a Champion inverter 2500 watts enough to run the AC and fridge plus battery charge.  Plan is to pull a small trailer on very long hauls which will have genny, gas, water, and external blackwater tank.  With the solar panel, should give me a good seven days of boondocking.  

Here she is popped up. Pop up and pop down is hit one button.  Its like the advantages of a tent and hard side.  7' ceiling height and the Max fan, pulls a breeze in for when you don't want to run AC. We can sit upright in bed and plenty of room in the bed for us and our three ankle biter little dogs.  Access is Torklift scissor steps so just like steps at a house.   Inside pic is from the bed.  The square on the left is the bathroom and grey things are hanging bags for extended stays.  

IMG_20220514_141359965.thumb.jpg.a4a0bab5e840f716d0cf57078df181ef.jpgIMG_20220514_171913235.thumb.jpg.004a6927e4359e477468b3fc7f4a6da7.jpg

• Like 3

Sweet !

I really like the idea of not having to worry about shelter (hotel, etc) and not have to tow anything. 

Enjoy, my newly retired friend.

John

10 hours ago, Retcop said:

Sweet !

I really like the idea of not having to worry about shelter (hotel, etc) and not have to tow anything. 

Enjoy, my newly retired friend.

John

Thanks,  We're already quite attached to it.  We're spending the night tonight to catch the lunar eclipse.,  

• Like 1

Looks good.  My first and last overhead camper was a 1958 eight footer. It used only two big jacks to load and unload it.....it had to be balanced perfectly.  Very sketchy.  I would love to have that old thing back as it was perfect for what I used it for.  Hand pump for water to sink, Ice block fridge, propane stove, and no frills. Never leaked either.  Loved that thing. It would make the perfect horse camping quarters right now for my wife. A place to cook and sleep is all she needs without the set up time of a tent camp. 

Guy down the road had a late 70's early 80's eight footer that I kept eyeballing a couple years ago.....aluminum roof and sides and just a simple 8' overhead camper. It has the four corner jacks for a better load and unload. One day he set it on his pickup and put a for sale sign in the window of the camper. I drove by it everyday for a week thinking I need to stop and look it over......then he unloaded it one day and it twisted to the ground as the four corners were rotted out and the uneven ground caused it to twirl to its death. It has been sitting in that spot for two years now. Glad I did not buy it. 

three years ago I missed out on a 1980's eight footer that had been used very little and stored indoors....it was in like new shape and sold in the first hour for $800......someone got very lucky buying that one. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:51 PM, towtruck said:

it was in like new shape and sold in the first hour for $800......someone got very lucky buying that one. 

My FIL has a nose for deals like that and better. He hauls scrap metal for a local recycling place and somehow comes across deals while he is out doing pickups. He has gotten 3 or 4 over the past few years for free including an RV with a Detroit diesel engine that has less than 1,000 hours on it. It was in a pole barn on a farm where he was picking up a load of metal. He asked about it and the owner gave it to him. Being in a barn it didn't have any water damage but the caulking had dried out and cracked and the interior is dirty as the kids "played in it" when it was parked for a couple of decades. He had to buy filters for the engine change the oil and put in new batteries and run a crapload of injector cleaner through the fuel system but it fired up pretty easy. When he brought it home it got rained on and leaked before he could get the sealants on the roof replaced but other than staining it really didn't do any serious damage. Driving it the 10 miles to the campground and back will probably cost more than what he has into it so far with the new bidenomics. He got my popup for $100 and all it needed to be usable was 2 new tires. I've put some work into it, replacing some rotted wood where the lights on the back allowed the water to sit and get into the screw holes and rot it out. The canvas has some holes that I have patched but for camping it isn't bad at all. It has A/C which for me is a must in my dotage, I can't stand the heat and humidity to sleep.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomJefferson said:

Thanks,  We're already quite attached to it.  We're spending the night tonight to catch the lunar eclipse.,  

I had not heard about the eclipse, but I saw it when I took one of my mini-night hikes.

It was full moon last night.

I'm serious when I say i've stopped watching the news. 

I used to night hike all the time.

2 hours ago, Retcop said:

I had not heard about the eclipse, but I saw it when I took one of my mini-night hikes.

It was full moon last night.

I'm serious when I say i've stopped watching the news. 

I used to night hike all the time.

Oh man, time for a Tj Story.

Tj Story Time "Bigfoot"

My mom had this Jack Russell that was the huntingness dog I ever knew.  Whenever I'd go home to the farm, I'd take the dog for a night hike so he could jump critters.  One night there's a full moon so we're walking around with no lights when off to my side this thing towering over me came rushing at me on two legs.  It startled the hell out of me. I'd never experienced anything like that before.  It was too tall and too fast for a bear.   I was still fumbling for my light when it rushed past me.  I still didn't know what it was.  

Finally I got my Shurfire out and pushed the button.  I was startled again.  It was a damn deer, a buck, a big one that must have been 9 points or more.  There he was still running on his hind legs across the field.  Talk about a never seen that before or since.  I looked around for the dog but he'd hightailed it to the main house as fast as he could.  Apparently this dog that chased deer for a past time was startled too.  

I get back to the house and tell the tale.  Had I known my families reaction, I wouldn't have.  They found it so hilarious that Mr. practically lived his life in the forest was so startled by a deer, they started saying I saw Bigfoot.  To this day, they still laugh and tell the story.  

With this camper, I'm going back to my forest.  Bigfoot or not, it makes more sense than this world we live in now.  

Tj

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Recondo 101 said:

Glad you are happy with your unit and it functions for your needs.

Thanks but that's to be seen.  Not even the dealer grasped what I want this thing to do is a minimum two nights to five nights with no hookups in total comfort.  So far so good.  Yesterday it was 84 here and all I ran was the Maxfan and opened one soft panel to create a breeze.  It was pretty nice but its only going to get harder from here.  

We're not big on campgrounds with full hookups.  To us, its like slumming in a trailer park.  Like our boat, we're way more get out by ourselves types.  It does have way more comfort features than our boat does.  

Yep, the big tow behind I just got rid of was more of a camp in your own driveway type setup. It was bought as a temp housing unit. Worked OK, especially when no temp housing was available after a hurricane. But with a weekend outing design was some what limited as a full time residence.

4 hours ago, TomJefferson said:

With this camper, I'm going back to my forest.  Bigfoot or not, it makes more sense than this world we live in now.  

Tj

That's the ticket !