AR15Armory.com

Hunting Gear Advice

Welcome to the Board !

My first thought is lots of CASH !    :segrin:

I've not used it to hunt, but from some pig hunters here, I would have to say thermal is the way to go.

A lot is going to depend on what conditions you will be using it for, and at what ranges. 

There will be some other members along with the experience to help you before to long. 

In the meantime why don't you tell us what kind of hunting you are planning on doing, 

and what sort of firearms and shooting you are into, and make yourself at home. 

John

On 8/3/2022 at 1:17 AM, Jessicanelson said:

Which is better for hunting thermal or night vision?

What are you huntin, where & what caliber are you shooting

On 8/4/2022 at 5:35 PM, Rampy said:

What are you huntin, where & what caliber are you shooting

I have a sneaky suspicion that this is another spammer along the same lines as the dog gun poster.

• Like 1

I’ll bite. You MUST check regulations before hunting with either. Some states allow those for hogs and/or varmints. Very few allow for game animals. What is best starts with what is legal. Then consider what is sportsmanlike and ethical. What is ‘best’ as in what is ‘most effective’ is your last question.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:17 AM, Jessicanelson said:

Which is better for hunting thermal or night vision?

:welcome:

In Montana you can only use scopes which artificially enhance light and that means both night vision and thermal to hunt animals classified as predators on private land only. Use on any land for big game is strictly illegal. Basically, if you are going after coyotes, squirrels, rabbits, red foxes, prairie dogs, porcupines and other varmints it is OK though only the coyotes and foxes will come out to play at night. Rabbits too I guess, we always just shot the jackrabbits in the headlights and never had any problems getting as many as we wanted. 

Every state has different laws. States that allow hunting at night for predators but outlaw the use of thermal scopes never made sense to me. They want predator numbers reduced on the one hand and for hunters to be safe on the other hand and then tie both hands together and do not allow the 1 thing that allows those things to go hand in hand. Game departments are being managed by anti hunting academics these days. Just like everything else.