AR15Armory.com

Specialized Firearms Instruction

The video of storeowner Grandpa Shotgun, and his victory over Tyrone "Stumpy" Dogpile reignited my thinking about re qualifying as a Firearms Instructor.  My idea would be a small business where I would market my services, including consulting on, shooting, and choosing home defense and/or carry weapons toward our senior citezens and their unique and varied needs, or anyone with a physical disability that presents challenges to them. 

I've figured now that I'm looking more like the Black Sabbath Drummer Geezer, instead of a strapping young Warrior, the older folks may be more comfy with my patient gentle manner, thin and graying hair, and ubiquitas Cop mustasche/goatee that has gone all white, except the prune juice stains. 

It will be difficult to determine if there is a sustainable market for these clients. I have been jotting ideas down for a while now,

and I think I would really enjoy giving older folks the peace of mind that comes with being able to defend yourself with the great equalizer.  I would also need plenty of sample weapons, which would all be tax deductible, of course. Actually, my original thought was to make an arrangement with a range in a town a little less than an hour away that is right on the Interstate. They have been building Senior Citizen Housing there for quite some time, as they are(were) having a boom while the University town that I worked has been stagnant for years. Seems like people from Northern Illinois and I guess maybe Iowa and Wisconsin seem to like retiring here. Cost of living is lower, we have the lakes, parks, and Natl Forest thing going on. 

I'd really like to have your guys honest opinions on the business model, and any suggestions you may have would be great. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out if this specialized seed would sprout. I have always had a soft spot for old folks, and now that I are one, maybe I can help some older and/or disabled people be proficient defending themselves, and qualify for CCW.

However, I am looking to go beyond building a business relationship where the end goal is the CCW class. There will be much more creative thought and KISS solutions to problems people may think are impossible to solve. I'm thinking about memberships where people come back every so often for some "refresher classes" (training/practice) that's just checking in, and addressing any concerns, and having fun popping some caps. 

What I'm really trying to do, is get the act of training, practice, (live and dry fire) part of their regular routine. I think older folks making first gun purchases, are more apt than usual to put a box of rounds thru a home defense pistol they buy, stick in their nightstand drawer and figure they are good to go. Or as the President says "Just fire a couple of shotgun blasts of the balcony.".  It would be way cool to make some extra cash doing something I love, especially when there is so little initial investment.

However, there is the alternative of just starting a "GUNS FOR GEEZERS"  Club, but then I have no control of what is presented as good tactics or bad tactics, and that could turn into a circular firing squad with everyone screaming,

"Get off my lawn !"   :segrin:

Love it John!  Go for it, I’ll be 70 next March, and I really like the “geezer” touch! In my business, I have no walk in trade, but I’m still on the road far too much.  More training to my specific situation is something I would be interested in since I have to be around schools regularly and I’m leaving myself exposed far too often.  It’s a great idea!!!  I’d really like to have a bit more specific training on the new High Power.  The pistol has been flawless and I’m thinking about making it my new carry pistol instead of my Micro 9.  16 is far better than 8 in my book…

Funny thing is, in many of the schools I am working in, the facilities guys are all gun guys, and while I haven’t asked, I’ll bet there are a number of pistols in their glove boxes in the parking lot! My Vortex pin on my ball cap keeps giving me away…

Ted

Edited by ewallover
  • Thanks 1

I EDC'ed a hi-Power for years. Unfortunately wearing a P-35 all day would be too much for my duty belt worn hips. 

I'd suggest a holster that tucks that grip tight into your body, and a very rigid belt. With a steel frame and at least 15-17 rounds of ammo on board that frame is heavy. I'm not sure if I'll pick up the SA or the one from Turkey, or a replacement for the Belgian browning Hi Power a sold off years ago when my pay went down to become a cop, and I traded it off for a gun approved for plain clothes carry and off duty.    :SPEC:

I always keep an eye out for a used one, and since I'm not too concerned about collector value (so many made) 

I would not object if it needed rebluing, although a outstanding blueing job might be $$$. God, I loved that pistol, and after break-in, it never failed me, no matter what I ran through it. Sinch I had planned on doing some basic stock games with it, I had a local gunsmith remove the magazine disconnect , polish (not stone) the trigger, and put an adjustable rear sight on it. I've never found a pistol that fit my hand better, or that I shot better. 

Unfortunately, I sold the Milt Sparks Summer Special holster I had for it, or I would offer it to you. It is what i would recommend for EDC for that pistol. Their are a couple of companies making decent clones of Bruce Nelson's Summer Special for less money. Just make sure the holster mouth has metal reinforcing sewn in to prevent holster collapse after drawing, and a good belt is very important. Since we have very hot, humid summers here, I wiped down that mirror-like blueing every night with a tiny bit of oil. That is one of the few guns I call "sexy".  She was just plain beautiful, accurate, utterly reliable, easy to shoot well, and had History behind it. The trifecta of a special class of firearms, that has nothing to do with gold leaf, or intricate engraving. I beautiful and reliable combat sidearm is good to find. I'd really like an all steel full size 1911 in .45 ACP. Not sure I'm willing to sell my Lightweight Commander size to get it. 

I don't know if you are used to carrying pistols of that weight as EDC's. It could make for some long days, especially if you are on your feet all day. but then, I'm a wimp who likes Glocks, and Lightweight Commander sized 

.45 ACPs. My Lightweight Commander weighs almost exactly what a Gen 3 Glock 19 or 23 weighs, unloaded. 

Which "Hi Power" do you have ? The new FN or...? 

On 8/6/2022 at 8:38 AM, ewallover said:

Love it John!  Go for it, I’ll be 70 next March, and I really like the “geezer” touch! In my business, I have no walk in trade, but I’m still on the road far too much.  More training to my specific situation is something I would be interested in since I have to be around schools regularly and I’m leaving myself exposed far too often.  It’s a great idea!!!  I’d really like to have a bit more specific training on the new High Power.  The pistol has been flawless and I’m thinking about making it my new carry pistol instead of my Micro 9.  16 is far better than 8 in my book…

Funny thing is, in many of the schools I am working in, the facilities guys are all gun guys, and while I haven’t asked, I’ll bet there are a number of pistols in their glove boxes in the parking lot! My Vortex pin on my ball cap keeps giving me away…

Ted

https://www.miltsparks.com/store/Summer-Special-2-P35-SA35-Hi-Power-9MM-Natural-Tan-1-5-Belt-Loop-p422005519

3 hours ago, Retcop said:

I EDC'ed a hi-Power for years. Unfortunately wearing a P-35 all day would be too much for my duty belt worn hips. 

I'd suggest a holster that tucks that grip tight into your body, and a very rigid belt. With a steel frame and at least 15-17 rounds of ammo on board that frame is heavy. I'm not sure if I'll pick up the SA or the one from Turkey, or a replacement for the Belgian browning Hi Power a sold off years ago when my pay went down to become a cop, and I traded it off for a gun approved for plain clothes carry and off duty.    :SPEC:

I always keep an eye out for a used one, and since I'm not too concerned about collector value (so many made) 

I would not object if it needed rebluing, although a outstanding blueing job might be $$$. God, I loved that pistol, and after break-in, it never failed me, no matter what I ran through it. Sinch I had planned on doing some basic stock games with it, I had a local gunsmith remove the magazine disconnect , polish (not stone) the trigger, and put an adjustable rear sight on it. I've never found a pistol that fit my hand better, or that I shot better. 

Unfortunately, I sold the Milt Sparks Summer Special holster I had for it, or I would offer it to you. It is what i would recommend for EDC for that pistol. Their are a couple of companies making decent clones of Bruce Nelson's Summer Special for less money. Just make sure the holster mouth has metal reinforcing sewn in to prevent holster collapse after drawing, and a good belt is very important. Since we have very hot, humid summers here, I wiped down that mirror-like blueing every night with a tiny bit of oil. That is one of the few guns I call "sexy".  She was just plain beautiful, accurate, utterly reliable, easy to shoot well, and had History behind it. The trifecta of a special class of firearms, that has nothing to do with gold leaf, or intricate engraving. I beautiful and reliable combat sidearm is good to find. I'd really like an all steel full size 1911 in .45 ACP. Not sure I'm willing to sell my Lightweight Commander size to get it. 

I don't know if you are used to carrying pistols of that weight as EDC's. It could make for some long days, especially if you are on your feet all day. but then, I'm a wimp who likes Glocks, and Lightweight Commander sized 

.45 ACPs. My Lightweight Commander weighs almost exactly what a Gen 3 Glock 19 or 23 weighs, unloaded. 

Which "Hi Power" do you have ? The new FN or...? 

John:

I purchased the EAA Girsan MC P-35. Kind of a fluke, went into the LGS where I was on a waiting list for the SA -35 and this Turkish clone was in the display case on the top row. I asked to see it, was blown away by the fit and finish and with the $499 price tag, I did the background check and was out the door in 20 minutes (all with my wife waiting in the car).  I didn’t know then if I screwed the pooch, or hit the lottery. 

After 200 rounds and a quick trip to the armor at the shop to remove the magazine safety after the first 100 rounds, I can honestly say I hit the lottery.  Purchased 4 more magazines 2 -13 round and 2 - 15 round Mec-Gar blued magazines, exactly what came with the pistol (only 1). Off hand at 10 yards my best group to date was just a fraction over 2”.  Absolutely a joy to shoot, the trigger smoothed out considerably with that damned magazine safety removed, still a bit heavy, but breaks like glass. 

My only complaint is with the sights and it’s not really a complaint, I just find the three white squares hard to acquire quickly with my aging eyes (the sloping white stripe on the front sight is just odd). Shooting at the range presents no real problem, but to shoot under stress I sure would like to have sights far more like the ones on my Kimber Eclipse or my STI 1911s or even the Dawson Precisions on my G19.

I put Hogue cocobolo checkered wood drips on my the piece and with the uniform deep black finish on the pistol, it just looks right! Wood and steel…beautiful. And if I could figure out how to post images, I’d share them with you.  Too long of a story, short; check out the Girsan High Power.  Everything I have read or watched makes me feel like I made a good call, Turkish pistol or not. I’ve seen reports that the Springfield SA-35 frame and slide are Turkish too.

Oh,to close, I ordered a Wright’s Leather Works (from Ohio) pancake OWB lined holster.  I have one of their IWB lined holsters for my Micro 9 and the workmanship and comfort is simply outstanding. Still waiting for that….patience….patience.  Now, about that geezer training???

Posted (edited)

Rampy's got the right idea.

You're an experienced enough shooter to know the fundamentals, it seems, and with any new heater, if you know the fundamentals, and some drills to practice them, you can get started yourself until some classes come along. 

If the sights are not something you just need to get used to, and know what you like, you might see what's available for the dovetails on the  Girson. If you carry different pistols, having similar/some set-ups is a good thing.

My philosophy on "defensive shooting" is that smooth is fast. There are plenty of tutorials out there that break everything down, like from drawing to firing, and you practice things like that without concern for speed but for smoothness and accuracy. I'd really need to see you shoot. 

This is not mine, but I like the tagline about shooter training. It's not about "advanced shooting" it's about the fundamentals mastered. Fundamentals such as sight alignment, trigger pull, grip, etc, are eventually combined with drawstoke, prepping the trigger, and aligning the shots. 

One of the ways you can determine if you have committed any part of the act muscle memory is that it will start to feel smooth. The smoother you are, the more you have developed the muscle memory, and smoothness equates to speed. 

This is a personal choice, but I am not big on using shot timers until you are confident that whatever you have been trained to, incorporated with your own style, has reached a level of smoothness/proficiency that is indicative of attaining muscle memory for any and all tasks. It's not until you are further down the line that you bring shot timers into play.

Besides the sights, and the normal aged eyes, do you have any other physical stuff going on a trainer would want to know ? You could shoot me a PM for privacy if you would like. My idea is not to turn our senior sheepdogs into 

high speed low drag operators, but is to take a new or intermediate shooter  and assist with the skills that will allow them to win a deadly force encounter, and to set up a regimen of drills where a massive amount of shooting is not dome over a short period of time is not the focus. That can get the older folks just aggravating conditions they may have, instead of those muscles being used first over time to get built up.

Bit again, it sounds like you have already done a fair amount of shooting. I read something the other day from a trainer who said he spent his first 10,000 rounds learning to shoot, and the second 10,000 unlearning all the bad habits he had picked up.  I am a big believe in dry fire for developing muscle memory, and I always use snap caps even though the prevailing wisdom says you don't need them on pistols designed a certain way, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's just me. 

I hope this has been of some use, hard to do long distance. 

If you have some specific questions, I'll do my best. If you want to use the internet for some ideas, Clint Smith is one I have faith in. If those new sights are a bridge too far, I'd look to change those to something you know works for you, especially if the new Hi Power is going to be an EDC or main house gun for you.  Sounds like you have lots of experience already. 

Congratulations on the new pistol, and have fun ! !

John

Edited by Retcop

Shot timers are a interval part of training  & setting goals standards and then quantifying what you are doing 

Just like dot torture drills are extremely important as is shooting B8 targets using the timer to set goals giving the shooter feedback 

Without using shot timer all you are doing is having fun if your goal for the day was training Vs zeroing or just having a enjoyable range trip 

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/dot-torture-shooting-drill

Edited by Rampy

This is the dot torture drill my instructor had me shoot, 1 st run no timer with a 90% accuracy from 7 yards. Then I had 90’seconds to clear the dots & then 60 seconds & 30 all from the holster on the beep

Then we pushed back to 10 yards & ran it on the clock a few times 

Then we moved over to the other target 

learned lots I did 

wJ980Mj.jpg

One thing about instructors besides certifications such

Always ask  when was the last class they took & who was it with and what it was then ask when they last took a instructional development class 

And they always need to shoot the course of fire faster & more accurate than what is expected of the students 

and be able to explain the why’s behind the drill and not just doing a drill without knowing what it does for the student 

Edited by Rampy

My biggest problem is that most of the clubs and ranges around here frown on rapid fire, or unholstering and shooting.  I have to do some more research on training facilities.  All of this advice is sound and appreciated,  and as John indicated, if I decide to focus on the High Power for HD (because of the size and weight) and my Micro 9 for carry, I do have options.  But I sure do like the feel, capacity, and easy shooting of the High Power.

The indoor range I use has 5 lanes set up so you can drop the tray & draw from your holster. I do it both sitting and standing 

check out PatMac’s videos he is constantly training and taking classes to better himself while at the same time teaching.

Love his videos as they are short and to the point and not lots of word salad cuz he loves talking….

https://youtube.com/user/patannamac1