AR15Armory.com

Is anyone hoarding mags in anticipation of a ban?

Electrikoolaid

I have a compulsion to keep buying Pmags and Lancer L5AWM 30 rounders.

I lived through the AWB in 1994, and remember what pain in the butt that was.

I keep adding to the stash in batches of 5 or so, even though I have more than enough for the few rifles I own.

Should I seek psychiatric help?

Well, over the past 18 years, I have amassed over 200 magazines for my ARs. I have no need to purchase any more except only to maybe replace what I shoot. I am a preparer, not a hoarder. I have done the same thing with ammo. I started buying many years ago in anticipation of the time where it may become scarce and/or expensive.

I DO NOT believe in buying up a bunch of magazines and ammo only to hold on to it in order to sell it later on for a huge profit when they are hard to get. That is unethical. That said, if someone is so foolish as to not buy while the getting is good, they should pay the price for their procrastination. Over the years, I have seen many people panic when, all of a sudden, supplies start drying up and they failed to capitalize on the time of plenty. Ultimately, if they need/want them bad enough, they will pay dearly through a vendor or someone who has been hoarding for this very situation.

Personally, I believe in being prepared and not having to be in a panic situation because I failed to take advantage of the good times when they were around. Right now, I can sit back and watch the show as a very comfortable bystander.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TackleberryMCS said:

Just bear in mind that you want to have a lot more ammo than magazines. In my opinion, 1000 rounds of ammo to every 30-round magazine is a good ratio.

I won't be able to get to that level, but I'm definitely tilting in the direction of ammo. It's consumable after all and the consensus seems to be that PMags will last a long while. I do want to get a few Durmags though too.

Could probably use another one or two for the M&Ps as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 3:28 PM, TackleberryMCS said:

Well, over the past 18 years, I have amassed over 200 magazines for my ARs. I have no need to purchase any more except only to maybe replace what I shoot. I am a preparer, not a hoarder. I have done the same thing with ammo. I started buying many years ago in anticipation of the time where it may become scarce and/or expensive.

I DO NOT believe in buying up a bunch of magazines and ammo only to hold on to it in order to sell it later on for a huge profit when they are hard to get. That is unethical. That said, if someone is so foolish as to not buy while the getting is good, they should pay the price for their procrastination. Over the years, I have seen many people panic when, all of a sudden, supplies start drying up and they failed to capitalize on the time of plenty. Ultimately, if they need/want them bad enough, they will pay dearly through a vendor or someone who has been hoarding for this very situation.

Personally, I believe in being prepared and not having to be in a panic situation because I failed to take advantage of the good times when they were around. Right now, I can sit back and watch the show as a very comfortable bystander.

THIS.  I dont have near 200 mags (maybe I have 20?) nor do I have the rifles the Professor has.  Have enough for the rifles you have and I see no reason to have a bunch of mags and one or two rifles.  As stated, the guys here frown on anyone taking advantage of panics created by possible bans by jacking prices of stock they may have.  If you feel the need to buy up a bunch, go ahead but if they just sit in the safe its money you could have spent elsewhere.  Ask yourself "Do I want to carry around 50 loaded mags in my range or bug out bag??  I have a magazine carry box that stores 12-15 mags I keep loaded and take to the range and rarely shoot them empty.  I have a few more in the safe still in plastic.  Unless someone puts mags on sale cheap, I dont see myself buying more.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

200?  You call yourself "prepared."  I have over 500 mags (I stopped counting @ that point, but I've kept on buying when I find a good deal).  I keep them loaded & stored in 20mm cans (plural) save for the ones in range bags, vests, belt & chest rig and plate carrier.  And my range mags in a .50 fatboy.

Edited by The War Wagon