Sign in to follow this  
GreenAmmo

7.62x39 questions

I finished up my Armory lower build about 3 weeks ago. I researched the build and found out that there is a magazine shortage. I really debated on whether to build another .223 or to go with the Commie round. The AR15 is in my opinion, the most versatile, easy handling rifle. It swings easily, it's small, it's light. It's the Cat's Ass! But I already have more than 2 in .223 and wanted a little variety.

The 7.62x39 won out because I just love the caliber. It's got punch, it's cheap to shoot, it has barrier penetration that the .223 just doesn't have, and did I mention that it's still cheap to shoot? (knocking on wood so it stays that way!) The 6.8 would be cool too, but I took the price of ammo into consideration and it wasn't even close.

The only hesitation I had was magazine availibility and finding functional magazines. It seems that the majority of7.62x39 AR owners are very happy with the rifles, but the lack of quality magazines is a universal complaint. I have learned that a standard straight 20rd .223 mag will work with the 7.62x39, but only if loaded to 5 or 6. (Any more than that, and the feed lips spread and cause failure to feed) Colt picked up a ProMag 6.8 mag that he was told would work, but it didn't work any better than the standard 20rd .223 mags.

Have any of you heard of alternate sources for 7.62x39 AR mags? I know that CProducts is supposed to be coming out with one that's been touted as The End All, Be All 7.62x39 AR magazine, but it's been on the drawing board for awhile. It's supposed to make it's debut in December, but it was also supposed to come out last March so I won't be holding my breath. (Colt found and bought a Frankenmag to hold me over until then. I'll be breaking that in when Wulfy comes down this weekend)

I'm really excited about this little rifle, and I wish more manufacturers would realize the potential this rifle/ammo combination has and start MAKING A DAMN MAGAZINE THAT WORKS!!!

So far only the frankenmags are the only one that work. They are hard to come by. I am waiting until CProducts come out with theirs. I hope the wait is worth it.

I used to find the Frankenmags at the gunshows. Knob Creek, mostly.

Even those usually require some work. Tweaking feed lips, taking the spring out and bending each loop a little to put more pressure on the front of the rounds, ect.

I lowered the feed ramps on the barrel extension too.

So far only the frankenmags are the only one that work. They are hard to come by. I am waiting until CProducts come out with theirs. I hope the wait is worth it.

I hope so too.

I used to find the Frankenmags at the gunshows. Knob Creek, mostly.

Even those usually require some work. Tweaking feed lips, taking the spring out and bending each loop a little to put more pressure on the front of the rounds, ect.

I lowered the feed ramps on the barrel extension too.

I've not come across any at the last few shows I've been to but I've seen a few floating around online.

Same here.. The franken mags are all I have seen that works.

I have tinkered with the idea taking a old ak mag and an AR mag and making some frankens of my own.

(since Ido have access to all these welders)

Do the Franken mags use AK followers and innards and just have the AR mag tower/feed lips?

Oh yeah... :boogie: I cant wait to try out the AR Alwasy wanted one but like everyone else the mags have alwasy been an issue. I wish CP would get off their can and get these things going.

I just sent an email to Larry over at CProducts and invited him to join this discussion.....hopefully, we'll get some news :wink:

I just sent an email to Larry over at CProducts and invited him to join this discussion.....hopefully, we'll get some news :wink:

Schweet!

Same here.. The franken mags are all I have seen that works.

I have tinkered with the idea taking a old ak mag and an AR mag and making some frankens of my own.

(since Ido have access to all these welders)

Do the Franken mags use AK followers and innards and just have the AR mag tower/feed lips?

Oh yeah... :boogie: I cant wait to try out the AR Alwasy wanted one but like everyone else the mags have alwasy been an issue. I wish CP would get off their can and get these things going.

If you have access to a spot welder, we seriously need to talk. :wink:

Yes, AK followers....I even took a pic.

762x39AR003.jpg

So far this mag works, but damn it looks wrong!

762x39AR002.jpg

I know Olympic Arms makes a 7.62 X39 upers for the AR I would thing they some mags

Tell him TS wants to know about his 7.62x39 mags... CP has really been working on these mags for a while...

TS

Guest C Products
Tell him TS wants to know about his 7.62x39 mags... CP has really been working on these mags for a while...

TS

TS,

How the heck are you, long time no talk.

The 7.62 project has been slow and you guys have been very supportive and patient. This is one very tough magazine to make work with 30 rounds. We have proved out the stacking and curvature and fired our prototype flawlessly. We started tooling a couple of weeks ago and have design review meetings every 2 weeks. This will be a magazine that no one has ever attempted to make the way we are doing it. As we get further down the road in building the tooling I will post where we are. One thing you can be sure of is, we will have this magazine in the market. We are still targeting the end of December.

Larry

C Products

TS,

How the heck are you, long time no talk.

The 7.62 project has been slow and you guys have been very supportive and patient. This is one very tough magazine to make work with 30 rounds. We have proved out the stacking and curvature and fired our prototype flawlessly. We started tooling a couple of weeks ago and have design review meetings every 2 weeks. This will be a magazine that no one has ever attempted to make the way we are doing it. As we get further down the road in building the tooling I will post where we are. One thing you can be sure of is, we will have this magazine in the market. We are still targeting the end of December.

Larry

C Products

Do you have any idea what the price range is going to be? I would like to get some of them.