AR15Armory.com

B17 crash in Dallas due to mid air collision

MontanaLon

This is disturbing to watch. 

The day started with there being 10 flying B-17's in the world. Now there are 9. 

News editors are freaking stupid. Stories actually contain the words, "The condition of crew is unknown at this time". Really? The condition is known, the only unknown is who the crew were. The P63 pilot was likely killed on impact. That plane just ceased to be and floated down like confetti. The B17 crew, assuming they were flying with only the turrets unmanned are all dead. Those not killed in the initial impact were killed when the plane hit the ground.

I doubt it will take long for the NTSB to figure out that the pilot of the King Cobra freaked up by turning and not having a view of the sky he was moving into. The way he was banked he never even saw the crash coming. That is pilot error writ large. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/12/2022 at 5:15 PM, MontanaLon said:

This is disturbing to watch. 

The day started with there being 10 flying B-17's in the world. Now there are 9. 

News editors are freaking stupid. Stories actually contain the words, "The condition of crew is unknown at this time". Really? The condition is known, the only unknown is who the crew were. The P63 pilot was likely killed on impact. That plane just ceased to be and floated down like confetti. The B17 crew, assuming they were flying with only the turrets unmanned are all dead. Those not killed in the initial impact were killed when the plane hit the ground.

I doubt it will take long for the NTSB to figure out that the pilot of the King Cobra freaked up by turning and not having a view of the sky he was moving into. The way he was banked he never even saw the crash coming. That is pilot error writ large. 

King Cobra? 

From the angle of the video on my phone does not look like anybody was turning 

This was not a flight with riders, just aircrew?

Ya nobody survived that crash 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:40 PM, Rampy said:

King Cobra? 

From the angle of the video on my phone does not look like anybody was turning 

This was not a flight with riders, just aircrew?

Ya nobody survived that crash 

They are actually both turning but the King Cobra is going faster, turning harder and banked in a way that would restrict his view with his view of the B17 being obstructed by the nose of his aircraft. One or the other was out of position. From the looks of it and the way the other planes before were going, I think it was the P63 that was out of position but I could be wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:56 PM, MontanaLon said:

They are actually both turning but the King Cobra is going faster, turning harder and banked in a way that would restrict his view with his view of the B17 being obstructed by the nose of his aircraft. One or the other was out of position. From the looks of it and the way the other planes before were going, I think it was the P63 that was out of position but I could be wrong. 

Saw a different video & it looked like the P63 cut the 17 in half 

5 on the 17 & the P63 driver horrible 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:42 PM, Rampy said:

Saw a different video & it looked like the P63 cut the 17 in half 

5 on the 17 & the P63 driver horrible 

I've watched a bunch of different videos of it now and one from the opposite side shows it best. From that angle you can't see the P63 at all and then the B17 just comes apart right at the rear of the wing. If you didn't know the other plane was involved you wouldn't be able to tell that it was there because you can never see it until the impact. He either never saw it because of visibility issues from the turn or he did it on purpose. I know that sounds crazy but he was turning into it. Apparently the planes were from the same place. I wonder if there was bad blood between the pilot of the P63 and anyone on the bomber crew. Like someone on the plane was banging his old lady or his daughter? That is going to have to be looked at and I am sure it will be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like the fighter was flying a simulated strafing run on the bomber and just got too close before coming off the run on an inside turn. Collisions like that happened all the time during WWII, between combatants. On the 17 the preferred "Expert" attack was a nose on attack.

A very unnecessary thing to have happened, at a civilian air show, sad for the folks and their families.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 8:06 AM, HAZMAT said:

How many valuable, rare, historic aircraft have been totally destroyed in the last 25 years?   Lost forever.   

Matt

There has already been mention of that on some other sites. Some are calling to have the remainder put on static display to preserve them.

According to a report I read this morning, a pilot (and lawyer) was on the ground taking photos and listening to the comms. He reports the controller told the P63 to overtake the B-17. 

From what the different videos show it sure looks like the P63 lost sight of the B-17 under it's nose.

• Like 1