AR15Armory.com

B-21: The Bomber Being Built For A War With China Or Russia

Zephyr One/Zero

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/11/b-21-the-bomber-being-built-for-a-war-with-china-or-russia/

"The U.S. Air Force is about to unveil the B-21 Raider stealth bomber, its newest aircraft, in just a couple of weeks.

On December 2, the Air Force and Northrop Grumman will unveil America’s next strategic nuclear bomber.

According to the Air Force, the B-21 Raider will be “a dual-capable penetrating strike stealth bomber capable of delivering both conventional and nuclear munitions. The B-21 Raider will form the backbone of the future Air Force bomber force consisting of B-21s and B-52s. Designed to operate in tomorrow’s high-end threat environment, the B-21 Raider will play a critical role in ensuring America’s enduring airpower capability.”

B-21

Shown is a B-21 Raider artist rendering graphic. The rendering highlights the future stealth bomber with Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., as the backdrop. Designed to perform long range conventional and nuclear missions and to operate in tomorrow’s high end threat environment, the B-21 will be a visible and flexible component of the nuclear triad. (U.S. Air Force graphic). This is the third USAF rendering of the B-21 Raider. Note changes in the windshield from previous official renderings.

On 11/20/2022 at 2:52 PM, Rampy said:

Nothing like retiring the B2 bomber as well as the B1b while keeping the way way older B52 flying 

The B52 is a good bomb truck if the airspace is dominated. In contested airspace it is a sitting duck. The B1 doesn't have the range of the B52. The B2 has a much smaller bomb load. 

The B21 is supposed to be smaller than the B2 but with longer range with nearly the same payload. 

I don't think dropping bombs on a near peer enemy from a plane is ever going to be a reality in a future war. It hasn't happened since 1945 so the chance of it coming back is remote. The only purpose of a multi billion dollar plane program at this point is to push more money into the military industrial complex which has become little more than a kickback machine for politicians.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 2:30 PM, MontanaLon said:

The B52 is a good bomb truck if the airspace is dominated. In contested airspace it is a sitting duck. The B1 doesn't have the range of the B52. The B2 has a much smaller bomb load. 

The B21 is supposed to be smaller than the B2 but with longer range with nearly the same payload. 

I don't think dropping bombs on a near peer enemy from a plane is ever going to be a reality in a future war. It hasn't happened since 1945 so the chance of it coming back is remote. The only purpose of a multi billion dollar plane program at this point is to push more money into the military industrial complex which has become little more than a kickback machine for politicians.

The ability to launch stand off weapons is a huge factor, at one time the b52 had 2 rotary ALCM racks internal along with the ones on the wing pods

from what I understand B52’s can now also be configured with air to air missiles 

The B1b has reached its end of life air hours and the airframe needs lots more $$$$ to keep it flying from what I’ve been told. That’s bizarre as I was at Offutt when SAC took acceptance of the 1st operational B1b & that bird is on static display at Dyess AFB now 

B52’s flying out of Diego Garcia dropped a metric shat ton of bombs in asscrackastan 

Edited by Rampy

I hope the B21 is everything its cracked up to be. I remember that in 1999 a F-117 was shot down by the Serbians using a Russian S-125 surface to air missile that was originally designed in the 1950’s. While the missile was upgraded over time the Serbians variant had only second generation upgrades to the missile and radar that where implemented in the early 1960’s. One month later a second F-117 was heavily damaged by the same type of SAM system.

I Know nothing is invisible to modern radar but the problem is that advanced stealth aircraft designs often take more than a decade from planning to being placed in to service. Radar systems and SAMS are constantly having software upgraded, often using AI to improve detection and tracking. Hopefully a great leap in technology was built into the B-21to keep i ahead of the new countermeasure’s out there

• Like 2

On 11/21/2022 at 9:06 PM, zoomy said:

I hope the B21 is everything its cracked up to be. I remember that in 1999 a F-117 was shot down by the Serbians using a Russian S-125 surface to air missile that was originally designed in the 1950’s. While the missile was upgraded over time the Serbians variant had only second generation upgrades to the missile and radar that where implemented in the early 1960’s. One month later a second F-117 was heavily damaged by the same type of SAM system.

I Know nothing is invisible to modern radar but the problem is that advanced stealth aircraft designs often take more than a decade from planning to being placed in to service. Radar systems and SAMS are constantly having software upgraded, often using AI to improve detection and tracking. Hopefully a great leap in technology was built into the B-21to keep i ahead of the new countermeasure’s out there

The reason the F117 was shot down and one damaged is due to optical sights, if you can see it it’s possible to get lucky and shoot it down. Same with heat signature, if you can pick up a heat signature that is…..

Seems like we were told the F117 has a cross section of a small bird  and the B2 bomber is smaller than that 

Edited by Rampy

On 11/21/2022 at 10:30 PM, Rampy said:

The reason the F117 was shot down and one damaged is due to optical sights, if you can see it it’s possible to get lucky and shoot it down. Same with heat signature, if you can pick up a heat signature that is…..

Seems like we were told the F117 has a cross section of a small bird  and the B2 bomber is smaller than that 

Yeah, the mission planners had them flying routes that avoided SAM sites from the prior 3 nights missions. They didn't bother to change the egress route when it was safe on day 3 and they flew into a freshly setup mobile launcher where they had been seen flying the night before. Bad mission planning and a lucky boresighted shot that allowed the missile to get close enough to track.

There were others that were almost lost in similar situations where the Serbs set up guns in gaps in the hills and fired by sight and blindly.

On 11/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, MontanaLon said:

Sad but true…

If it was Trump or Reagan, you guys would be applauding the increased Military spending as "Peace Through Strength".   However, since it is Biden and the Dems, the only reason is to get us into a war to enrich the military/industrial complex.

Trump was highly praised for rebuilding our Military, and spending a metric shitload of money on all kinds of planes, ships, bombs, you name it. If you could kill people or blow crap up with it, GO Trump for spending out money. 

Yet everytime Biden spends money on our Military, it's 100 % evil, and undoubtedly for this war he and the Dems so badly want. I thought our Military still needed more money to buy more stuff, and this was interrupted when Trump was supposedly not reelected. But if the Military spends money on the Military, it can ONLY because  Biden is a war monger.

Id that a whiff of Biden Derangement Syndrome I'm catching.  I understand the history of Dems pulling us into wars. But we should not blindly regurgitate the war monger thing with every Military expenditure. As far as I am concerned, we should be spending more to beef up our Military, especially to harden it from EMOs and other foundational vulnerabilities.    You can't have it both ways. Build up the Military, unless a Democrat is President ? 

On 11/23/2022 at 12:43 AM, Retcop said:

If it was Trump or Reagan, you guys would be applauding the increased Military spending as "Peace Through Strength".   However, since it is Biden and the Dems, the only reason is to get us into a war to enrich the military/industrial complex.

Trump was highly praised for rebuilding our Military, and spending a metric shitload of money on all kinds of planes, ships, bombs, you name it. If you could kill people or blow crap up with it, GO Trump for spending out money. 

Yet everytime Biden spends money on our Military, it's 100 % evil, and undoubtedly for this war he and the Dems so badly want. I thought our Military still needed more money to buy more stuff, and this was interrupted when Trump was supposedly not reelected. But if the Military spends money on the Military, it can ONLY because  Biden is a war monger.

Id that a whiff of Biden Derangement Syndrome I'm catching.  I understand the history of Dems pulling us into wars. But we should not blindly regurgitate the war monger thing with every Military expenditure. As far as I am concerned, we should be spending more to beef up our Military, especially to harden it from EMOs and other foundational vulnerabilities.    You can't have it both ways. Build up the Military, unless a Democrat is President ? 

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why don’t you put down the vodka and re read the thread when you are sober 

Summary:::::::

WTF are they doing retiring the B1b and the B2, keep ‘em flying updating them as technology advances while at the same time developing a next generation stealth bomber 

Well the outline of what occurred with the 117s is in error, has to do with why the 117 was retired, it was not circumstance or luck, as many thought, had to do with sound detection, targeting and reading, combining ground and missile aiming devices. Can thank the Check Republic weapons development folks for that. The Check folks are proud of the equipment function and the 117 shoot downs. You can not escape making sound with a jet engine

The pilot fell asleep during survival and E&E training and did everything backwards after he was shot down. Took days to find him.