AR15Armory.com

Value of Upper off a M16A1

Shrikem16

On 11/24/2022 at 3:19 PM, Shrikem16 said:

Can anyone help me with the value of a M16A1 upper with no BCG. Serial number 9,xxx,xxx. Thank you

:welcome:

That is a good question. I don't know the answer to it but @TackleberryMCS likely can give you a good idea. He will be along at some point.

I do remember back in the day Sportsmans guide or another company selling surplus Israeli upper kits for like $200 but the barrels had been cut at the chamber. I believe they were A1's. They weren't a bad deal at the time but it has been ages ago. It worked out to a BCG and upper and all the parts except for the barrel assembly. 

1 hour ago, Shrikem16 said:

Can anyone help me with the value of a M16A1 upper with no BCG. Serial number 9,xxx,xxx. Thank you

In general, M16A1s in this range are 1970’s and early 80’s “A1” type 600 series commercial/export marked weapons.  Does the upper receiver have a CH forge code? Is the barrel marked C MP CHROME BORE?

39 minutes ago, TackleberryMCS said:

In general, M16A1s in this range are 1970’s and early 80’s “A1” type 600 series commercial/export marked weapons.  Does the upper receiver have a CH forge code? Is the barrel marked C MP CHROME BORE?

Yes to both. It came off a Colt marked M16A1. 

9 minutes ago, Shrikem16 said:

Yes to both. It came off a Colt marked M16A1. 

Without the Colt (C stamped) BCG, current market value, in my opinion, would be around $800 - $1000 depending on condition and the buyer. The upper receiver can bring upwards to $300 and then barrel about the same, possibly as much as $350. Handguards, if in really good condition, you are looking around $60-$100. Charging handle would be about another $75. Then you can add in another $50 for the flat slip ring assembly and gas tube and roll pin. Original M16A1 upper assemblies do not come around very often. If you are looking to buy this, I would try to get it for less if possible. If selling, I would not ask any more than $1000 and that would give you some leeway. I would imagine if this, in fact, was a commercial export, then the bore should be in good shape.

• 2 months later...