Sign in to follow this  
AKFF

Yeah or Nay for DPMS LR-308 AP4

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum and I think I'm putting it in the correct area. After a good bit of research I'm thinking that my dream rifle is the DPMS (Panther Arms) LR-308 AP4. This is the AR modeled 308 that is in the 16 inch close quarters battle style. I cannot afford multiple AR rifles at this point, and I was hoping to get a functional AR platform that has a bit more punch than normal. The reason for this is that I definately want it for home(land) defense as well as being able to use it to take a bear if necessary. (I live in AK) I also like the availability of the 308 ammo. I've heard that this model rifle answers the needs of a CQB style rifle as well as being able to put heavy rounds accurately downrange at some pretty impressive distances. Does anybody have any pertinent negatives about this rifle, does anybody agree it's my dream rifle? Opinions and info welcome.

Thanks.

HERE IS THE LINK FOR THIS RIFLE http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=18

Edited by AKFF

We sell a lot of .308 DPMS rifles, they run well are pretty darn accurate for what they are. Haven't had 1 comeback not working.

I haven't heard anything that's wasn't positive. They are supposed to be extremely accurate, especially for an out of the box gun.

TS

I haven't heard anything that's wasn't positive. They are supposed to be extremely accurate, especially for an out of the box gun.

TS

Exactly what I have heard and read.

Welcome to AR15Armory.com AKFF

I would like to have one.

:welcome:

I couldn't be happier with my .223 Panther...unless maybe if it was a .308.

The LR 308 is a great choice.

I had one of the first 308LRs.....it started out as a 24" Bull barrel, and I eventually swapped the barrel for a 16" HBAR. The DPMS 308 is IMO, the BEST large bore AR out there--this is due to the initial price, availability of aftermarket parts, availability of ammo, and the freakish accuracy they provide.

The cons:

They're quite a bit heavier than a standard AR. The 16" is easily 3 lbs heavier than a similar sized .223--even more if you scope it. I never shot my 16" past 400 yds, but it did very well with everything EXCEPT surplus ammo until I polished the chamber. The rifle is chambered for .308, not 7.62x51, and you may/may not get stuck cartridges in the chamber with 'em. (if you decide to get one and that happens, let me know and I can walk you through the procedure to fix it....it takes all of 5 minutes)

The pros:

They're easy to upgrade--not that they really need anything, but if you want to make it tacticool, it's as easy as working on a standard AR.

They're several hundred bucks cheaper than the AR10....leaves more $$ for optics and ammo.

They share the same ergos as the AR.

They use a magazine originally designed for this rifle instead of the AR10's redesigned M14 mags. (the DPMS is a close copy of the Stoner SR25)

Very light recoil--forget what you've heard about .30 cal bruising shoulders....the gas/spring setup absorbs most of it. It shoots almost as easy as a standard AR

this is what a DPMS 16" can do at 100 yds with 168gr match ammo:

target.jpg

eta: that's 6 rds :gun3:

eta again: this is the rifle I referred to.....I cheated a bit on the target--I had the Nightforce 5.5-22x56 on the 16" upper at the time

000_0003.jpg

Edited by Colt45Guy

I can do nothing but higly recommend them.

I love mine. I got mine from Colt. Shoots wonderfully (even with surplus) and amazingly with match grade stuff.

Recoil is quite manageable ( I could shoot this thing all day)

Here's the pic of how it looks now.

100_1256.jpg

I Just ordered an AP4 from my FFL... He says Thursday it should be in.... :gun3:

You guys are tempting me, dammit!

TS

You guys are tempting me, dammit!

TS

Hell....I traded mine.....now I have to convince GA why I need to buy another one.

Hell....I traded mine.....now I have to convince GA why I need to buy another one.

She seems very open to such suggestions... (GA, let him...)

TS

I hope my subliminal message works.

I think the DPMS .308 rifles are super cool. The only thing that concerns me about some of the rifles is that they don't have a forward assist. Other's, such as the 16" Carbine, do have the forward assist. At one time, I heard that they weren't needed but now they are? Just for "looks" maybe?

When I'm considering the Grendel and SPC cartridges, I always find myself looking at those DPMS .308 rifles. It's hard to argue with an out of the box .30 caliber autoloader that will out shoot comparably priced, out of the box, bolt guns (and shoot circles around an SVD). Rifle, 2 mags for under $900. Hard to argue with.

Paul