Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

Texas winters

Since our state covers so many different geographic areas and climates, I was wondering what everyone's winters are usually like.

Ours here in the Panhandle tend to vary from year to year, but can get really dang cold. Whether we have snow or not, we generally will have a run (or a few) of below freezing days or weeks, and generally nights will get below freezing for a good portion of the winter. It stays fairly windy around here, but in the winter, it feels like it could cut right through ya. That part can be a little harsh. I have been skiing in Wolf Creek, CO in January and it didn't feel as cold on top of the mountain as it did back home on the plains.

What are your winters like?

Mild, very mild. At least since I've been alive.

have maybe 20 days total throughout the year that get below 40 or so. So far this winter it's been 60s-70s in the morning and 70s-80 in the afternoon. This weekend it's gonna get down to the 40s for lows and 50s for highs.

Our cold doesn't stick around, we get a strong arctic front and it'll drop in the 30s for a day or two then the warm air off the gulf comes back. It's 70s outside now.

We have a semi mild winter.

Only cold really for 1 month..to me.

We have mostly ice storms. Occasional snow.

Mild, very mild. At least since I've been alive.

have maybe 20 days total throughout the year that get below 40 or so. So far this winter it's been 60s-70s in the morning and 70s-80 in the afternoon. This weekend it's gonna get down to the 40s for lows and 50s for highs.

Our cold doesn't stick around, we get a strong arctic front and it'll drop in the 30s for a day or two then the warm air off the gulf comes back. It's 70s outside now.

Old coot addition: When I was a kid our winters started in September and it was generally cold when the Homecoming bonfires came around. The coldest it's ever been in this area was either six or eight degrees, depending on whose thermometer you trusted. I was somewhere between eight and twelve years old then, closer to eight years old IIRC. Winters have generally become milder each year since the mid to late 80's. We did have a few cold winters in the 90's. Now it is exactly as you stated above. I'd like it if we could have a happy medium between the winters when I was a kid and the ones we have now.

TS

Old coot addition: When I was a kid our winters started in September and it was generally cold when the Homecoming bonfires came around. The coldest it's ever been in this area was either six or eight degrees, depending on whose thermometer you trusted. I was somewhere between eight and twelve years old then, closer to eight years old IIRC. Winters have generally become milder each year since the mid to late 80's. We did have a few cold winters in the 90's. Now it is exactly as you stated above. I'd like it if we could have a happy medium between the winters when I was a kid and the ones we have now.

TS

Yep, I don't really mind the way it is now honestly. If it would just stablize some, the constant back and forth kills my sinuses. Besides wearing shorts and a tshirt in January is kinda funny and definitely throws the folks up north for a loop.

Yep, I don't really mind the way it is now honestly. If it would just stablize some, the constant back and forth kills my sinuses.

I have severely effed up sinuses so I'm with you there.

Besides wearing shorts and a tshirt in January is kinda funny and definitely throws the folks up north for a loop.

Eff them too..... :TS2:

TS

It was snowing here yesterday and it was cold. The wind felt like it was just cutting right through ya. I went to my BIL's for late Thanksgiving, and he was wearing shorts (it was snowing there too).

It's chilly here today too and raining....nasty outside right now.

one day hot and next snowing in wichita falls

they always say if ya don't like the weather here wait 15 minutes or drive 15 miles

gotta love texas though

God Bless Texas!!!!!

We had -30 wind chills and snow a week and a half ago, and now it's in the 70's this week. :laugh:

Starts with the Gales of November, very windy and COLD. We'll get snow in Nov, but it usually doesn"t stick around too long. Enough to track Deer by mostly. January Thaw hits melts everything, false hope for Spring then wham two and half more months of freezing cold wet weather. Mostly ends towards end of March, but I've seen heavy Snow as late as May when the trees leaves are fully open. Don't even get me started about the Upper Pennisula! I've seen it Snow in July on Isle Royale and off Lake Superior!