Wulf556

Available Gaming Systems

Ok so you wanna know whats out there for gaming?

Well there are a LOT of systems on the market now. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are your heavy hitters.

Console systems and portable systems. Hundreds of games. Sports, shooters, puzzle games, RPG (Role playing game), to Music games.

Each system has it's selling points, each some disadvantage.

No system is perfect and ahs every thing. If someone says it is and does.. well they're lying to you.

I'm gonna try to give you the staright up story on what each system has to offer for the Money you want to spend.

I'm going to have to beak this into several threads probably because this is going to be a huge post...

First we're going to start with the Microsoft Console or Home systems.

Microsoft had a HUGE hit with the XBOX, but then hit the Grand Slam with the 360.

XBOX Live (microsoft online service)

XBOX Live is an online service that allows you to download demos ( no more wasted money renting or buying games that suck), Game addons, and Arcade games. Arcade games are usually original titles written in a special software code for the 360, some are revised editions of our favorite arcade games like Pac man, tempest, galaga, and defender.

It offers Chat, instant messaging, and is linked to windows Live and instant messenger service.

When you buy a 360 you get a silver account which is free.

Silver gives you access to downloads, demos, movies and all the game extras and a friend list.

But does NOT allow you to play the multiplayer games.

A Gold account gives you all the above plus, multiplayer games. (which some view as the best reason for some games)

But what are the systems, what can get and how much is it gonna cost me ? Read on you answers are coming....

Click on the name of the system to go view entire specs...

First we have the entry level system.

The 360 Arcade Console

arcade_xbox.jpg

The Arcade offers you the following at an excellent price of $279.00, the only draw back is that it does NOT include the hard drive which is necessary to play some of the older XBOX games. Plus it gives you tons of space for your gane saves etc.

Here's what you get with the Arcade Console:

Play together today with Xbox 360™ Arcade, including the Xbox 360 console, wireless controller, and memory unit for game saves.

Have fun right out of the box with five Xbox LIVE® Arcade games including:

PAC-MAN Championship Edition™

UNO®

Luxor 2

Boom Boom Rocket

Feeding Frenzy™.

Begin playing: Xbox 360 Arcade console is everything you need to begin playing right out of the box, including Family Settings that allow parents to restrict game access for younger players. Comes with a wireless controller, five arcade games, and a memory unit. This console includes an HDMI output, so you can experience your games in the highest definition possible, up to 1080p (HDMI cable sold separately).

Xbox LIVE: Xbox LIVE is where games and entertainment come alive, the only unified place where you can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. Connect Xbox 360 to your broadband connection, attach a storage device (hard drive or memory unit) and get instant access to Xbox LIVE Silver. Express your digital identity through your gamertag and gamer card, talk with others using voice chat, and access Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Games: Every Xbox 360 title supports 720p and 1080i high definition resolution or 480p standard definition resolution, in 16:9 widescreen, with anti-aliasing so you enjoy smooth, movie-like graphics and multi-channel surround sound. Vibrant characters display depth of emotion to evoke more dramatic responses, immersing you in the experience.

Digital entertainment: Amplify your music, photos, video, and TV. Watch progressive-scan DVD movies, rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive and share your digital pictures with friends. Xbox 360 also instantly streams the digital media stored on your MP3 player, Media Center PC, or any Microsoft® Windows® XP 2005 Edition-based PC.

The next level up is:

The 360 Pro Console

_XBOX360.jpg

The Pro adds a bunch of bells and whistles the arcade does not have. Extra cables, the Hard drive, and head set for chat.

Here's the specs for what you get for $350

Hardware, software, and services: Fusing powerful hardware, software, and services, Xbox 360 fully engages you in a gaming experience that is more expansive, dramatic, and lifelike, where the possibilities are limitless and your imagination knows no boundaries.

Industrial design: A merger of form and function, Xbox 360 wraps powerful technology in a sophisticated exterior.

Xbox Gamer Guide: The Xbox Gamer Guide is an entertainment gateway that instantly connects you to your games, friends, music, movies, and downloadable content.

Personalized interface: Xbox 360 lets you create your own unique system and experience.

Ring of Light and Xbox Guide Button: Featured on both the wireless and wired controllers, the Xbox Guide button puts you in control of your experience. In addition to bringing up the Xbox Gamer Guide and the Xbox System Guide, with the Xbox Guide button you can turn the system on and off without ever leaving the couch.

Xbox LIVE: Xbox LIVE is where games and entertainment come alive, the only unified place where you can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. And the best just got better. Connect Xbox 360 to your broadband connection, attach a storage device (hard drive or memory unit), and get instant access to Xbox LIVE Silver. Express your digital identity through your gamertag and gamer card, talk with others using voice chat, and access Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Xbox LIVE Marketplace: Keep your favorite games fresh with instant access to new content. Accessible to both Silver and Gold members, Xbox LIVE Marketplace lets you personalize and extend your experience on demand.

Games: Xbox 360 redefines what games look like, sound like, feel like, and play like to engage you like never before. Every Xbox 360 title supports 720p and 1080i high definition resolution or 480p standard definition resolution, in 16:9 widescreen, with anti-aliasing so you enjoy smooth, movie-like graphics and multi-channel surround sound. Vibrant characters display depth of emotion to evoke more dramatic responses, immersing you in the experience.

Digital entertainment: Amplify your music, photos, video, and TV. Watch progressive-scan DVD movies right out of the box. Rip music to the Xbox 360 Hard Drive and share your latest digital pictures with friends. Make the connection, and Xbox 360 instantly streams the digital media stored on your MP3 player, digital camera, Media Center PC, or any Microsoft® Windows® XP 2005 Edition-based PC.

HDMI Ready: The console includes an HDMI output, so you can experience your games in the highest definition possible, up to 1080p (HDMI cable sold separately).

Plus you get One wireless controller, Head set, and all necessary cables

Next we have.. the "Holy Grail" of 360's

The 360 Elite Console

xbox360black.jpg

The Elite, takes every things up a notch in entertainment and gaming.

But first and foremost it comes with the much larger 120 Gb hard drive and is ready to go for HD hook up and is complete with cables.

Here's the specs for what you get for $450

Xbox 360 Elite console: The console is equipped with an HDMI port, HDMI cable, a black wireless controller and black Xbox LIVE® headset. It also comes with three powerful core processors, 16:9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound, and DVD playback with upscaling capabilities right outof the box.

Xbox 360 120GB hard drive: The huge 120GB detachable hard drive allows gamers to save their games and store television shows, movies, music, pictures, trailers, extra game levels, demos and other content available from Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Also sold separatley.

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (black): The sleek black finish of this high-performance wireless controller matches the style of the Elite Console. It has a range of up to 30 feet and a battery life of 30 hours on two AA batteries. Also sold separatley.

Xbox 360 headset (black): Now available in black, the headset lets you strategize while playing together online or trade taunts with your opponents. You can also send voice messages to friends on Xbox LIVE.

Xbox 360 HDMI cable: New to Xbox 360, HDMI lets you get HD video (up to 1080p) and multichannel surround sound, all from one cable.

Xbox LIVE Silver Membership: With this, gamers can chat with friends online, collect achievements and gamerscores, send and receive voice and text messages, and access Xbox LIVE Marketplace content such as game demos, HD movies and TV, as well as the best in downloadable games from Xbox LIVE Arcade.

One-month subscription to Xbox LIVE Gold: An Xbox LIVE Gold Membership provides a complete online entertainment experience. Subscribe to this premium service and engage in competitive online multiplayer matches, tailor your matchmaking via feedback and accomplishments, chat with more than one person at a time, and take advantage of unique privileges in Xbox LIVE Marketplace and Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Now Those are the systems available. But what about accessories, and most importantly GAMES!

Well the list of acesories is HUGE. So is the list of games.

SOO.... I'm going to put in links to the accessories list and the games list.

Most all of this is available from local storesor online.

Walmart, Best Buy, Game Stop (EB Games)

And people, trust me when I say, these games, ain't your old .25 arcade games. The graphics are incredible, the game smost all have Digital surround sound, and are set up for play on your HD screens, whther they are small, or HUGE like some people I know.. **cough,cough** Janitor... :laugh:

Any way here's the links..

360 accessories

360 games

Hope this proves to be helpful for those of you looking into an XBOX 360.

Console systems

Xbox Arcade, Pro and Elite systems done...

PS3 systems

PS2

PS1

Wii

Portable systems

PSP

Nintendo

ETC..

Edited by wulf50guy

Should this be currently available systems only? (like drop the PS 1?)

Should this be currently available systems only? (like drop the PS 1?)

PS1 is still available...

Check wally world.. But I can dump it if necessary.

PS1 is still available...

Check wally world.. But I can dump it if necessary.

I didn't realize it was still available.

I didn't realize it was still available.

Yeah.. they gave it a shiny "new" exterior.

Same old unit though.

Honestly it surprised me as well.

Wow, I didn't know they were still selling those either. I was in Kay-B toys this last weekend and saw several different versions of the PS2 for sale there, and I was surprised they were selling THOSE.

Great thread idea, Wulfy.

Very informative thread, thank you. I'm considering my first console since my old PS1 died a while back, and it looks like I may jump in with both feet with the Elite. This kind of guide is very helpful.

Very informative thread, thank you. I'm considering my first console since my old PS1 died a while back, and it looks like I may jump in with both feet with the Elite. This kind of guide is very helpful.

The Elite is a great machine. The cost difference from the pro ($100) seems a bit steep for 'only' another 100GB of drive, but you also get the HDMI cable. Doesn't seem like much until you figure out that even a cheap cable will cost $35-$50.

Besides ... it's more tactical. It's black. :thumbsup:

And people, trust me when I say, these games, ain't your old .25 arcade games. The graphics are incredible, the game smost all have Digital surround sound, and are set up for play on your HD screens, whether they are small, or HUGE like some people I know.. **cough,cough** Janitor...

Pah! Those guys are just over compensating.

:smile:

Great thread Wulfy! Thanks for going to all that effort.

Edited by Janitor

I'll have the Sony PS2/PS3 thread up this weekend sometime.

I'm glad this is being helpful.

I have the XBOX 360 Halo Edition. Nice...

Ok so you wanna know whats out there for gaming?

Well there are a LOT of systems on the market now. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are your heavy hitters.

Console systems and portable systems. Hundreds of games. Sports, shooters, puzzle games, RPG (Role playing game), to Music games.

Each system has it's selling points, each some disadvantage.

No system is perfect and ahs every thing. If someone says it is and does.. well they're lying to you.

I'm gonna try to give you the staright up story on what each system has to offer for the Money you want to spend.

I'm going to have to beak this into several threads probably because this is going to be a huge post...

First we're going to start with the Microsoft Console or Home systems.

Microsoft had a HUGE hit with the XBOX, but then hit the Grand Slam with the 360.

XBOX Live (microsoft online service)

XBOX Live is an online service that allows you to download demos ( no more wasted money renting or buying games that suck), Game addons, and Arcade games. Arcade games are usually original titles written in a special software code for the 360, some are revised editions of our favorite arcade games like Pac man, tempest, galaga, and defender.

It offers Chat, instant messaging, and is linked to windows Live and instant messenger service.

When you buy a 360 you get a silver account which is free.

Silver gives you access to downloads, demos, movies and all the game extras and a friend list.

But does NOT allow you to play the multiplayer games.

A Gold account gives you all the above plus, multiplayer games. (which some view as the best reason for some games)

But what are the systems, what can get and how much is it gonna cost me ? Read on you answers are coming....

Click on the name of the system to go view entire specs...

First we have the entry level system.

The 360 Arcade Console

arcade_xbox.jpg

The Arcade offers you the following at an excellent price of $279.00, the only draw back is that it does NOT include the hard drive which is necessary to play some of the older XBOX games. Plus it gives you tons of space for your gane saves etc.

Here's what you get with the Arcade Console:

Play together today with Xbox 360™ Arcade, including the Xbox 360 console, wireless controller, and memory unit for game saves.

Have fun right out of the box with five Xbox LIVE® Arcade games including:

PAC-MAN Championship Edition™

UNO®

Luxor 2

Boom Boom Rocket

Feeding Frenzy™.

Begin playing: Xbox 360 Arcade console is everything you need to begin playing right out of the box, including Family Settings that allow parents to restrict game access for younger players. Comes with a wireless controller, five arcade games, and a memory unit. This console includes an HDMI output, so you can experience your games in the highest definition possible, up to 1080p (HDMI cable sold separately).

Xbox LIVE: Xbox LIVE is where games and entertainment come alive, the only unified place where you can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. Connect Xbox 360 to your broadband connection, attach a storage device (hard drive or memory unit) and get instant access to Xbox LIVE Silver. Express your digital identity through your gamertag and gamer card, talk with others using voice chat, and access Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Games: Every Xbox 360 title supports 720p and 1080i high definition resolution or 480p standard definition resolution, in 16:9 widescreen, with anti-aliasing so you enjoy smooth, movie-like graphics and multi-channel surround sound. Vibrant characters display depth of emotion to evoke more dramatic responses, immersing you in the experience.

Digital entertainment: Amplify your music, photos, video, and TV. Watch progressive-scan DVD movies, rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive and share your digital pictures with friends. Xbox 360 also instantly streams the digital media stored on your MP3 player, Media Center PC, or any Microsoft® Windows® XP 2005 Edition-based PC.

The next level up is:

The 360 Pro Console

_XBOX360.jpg

The Pro adds a bunch of bells and whistles the arcade does not have. Extra cables, the Hard drive, and head set for chat.

Here's the specs for what you get for $350

Hardware, software, and services: Fusing powerful hardware, software, and services, Xbox 360 fully engages you in a gaming experience that is more expansive, dramatic, and lifelike, where the possibilities are limitless and your imagination knows no boundaries.

Industrial design: A merger of form and function, Xbox 360 wraps powerful technology in a sophisticated exterior.

Xbox Gamer Guide: The Xbox Gamer Guide is an entertainment gateway that instantly connects you to your games, friends, music, movies, and downloadable content.

Personalized interface: Xbox 360 lets you create your own unique system and experience.

Ring of Light and Xbox Guide Button: Featured on both the wireless and wired controllers, the Xbox Guide button puts you in control of your experience. In addition to bringing up the Xbox Gamer Guide and the Xbox System Guide, with the Xbox Guide button you can turn the system on and off without ever leaving the couch.

Xbox LIVE: Xbox LIVE is where games and entertainment come alive, the only unified place where you can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. And the best just got better. Connect Xbox 360 to your broadband connection, attach a storage device (hard drive or memory unit), and get instant access to Xbox LIVE Silver. Express your digital identity through your gamertag and gamer card, talk with others using voice chat, and access Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Xbox LIVE Marketplace: Keep your favorite games fresh with instant access to new content. Accessible to both Silver and Gold members, Xbox LIVE Marketplace lets you personalize and extend your experience on demand.

Games: Xbox 360 redefines what games look like, sound like, feel like, and play like to engage you like never before. Every Xbox 360 title supports 720p and 1080i high definition resolution or 480p standard definition resolution, in 16:9 widescreen, with anti-aliasing so you enjoy smooth, movie-like graphics and multi-channel surround sound. Vibrant characters display depth of emotion to evoke more dramatic responses, immersing you in the experience.

Digital entertainment: Amplify your music, photos, video, and TV. Watch progressive-scan DVD movies right out of the box. Rip music to the Xbox 360 Hard Drive and share your latest digital pictures with friends. Make the connection, and Xbox 360 instantly streams the digital media stored on your MP3 player, digital camera, Media Center PC, or any Microsoft® Windows® XP 2005 Edition-based PC.

HDMI Ready: The console includes an HDMI output, so you can experience your games in the highest definition possible, up to 1080p (HDMI cable sold separately).

Plus you get One wireless controller, Head set, and all necessary cables

Next we have.. the "Holy Grail" of 360's

The 360 Elite Console

xbox360black.jpg

The Elite, takes every things up a notch in entertainment and gaming.

But first and foremost it comes with the much larger 120 Gb hard drive and is ready to go for HD hook up and is complete with cables.

Here's the specs for what you get for $450

Xbox 360 Elite console: The console is equipped with an HDMI port, HDMI cable, a black wireless controller and black Xbox LIVE® headset. It also comes with three powerful core processors, 16:9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound, and DVD playback with upscaling capabilities right outof the box.

Xbox 360 120GB hard drive: The huge 120GB detachable hard drive allows gamers to save their games and store television shows, movies, music, pictures, trailers, extra game levels, demos and other content available from Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Also sold separatley.

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (black): The sleek black finish of this high-performance wireless controller matches the style of the Elite Console. It has a range of up to 30 feet and a battery life of 30 hours on two AA batteries. Also sold separatley.

Xbox 360 headset (black): Now available in black, the headset lets you strategize while playing together online or trade taunts with your opponents. You can also send voice messages to friends on Xbox LIVE.

Xbox 360 HDMI cable: New to Xbox 360, HDMI lets you get HD video (up to 1080p) and multichannel surround sound, all from one cable.

Xbox LIVE Silver Membership: With this, gamers can chat with friends online, collect achievements and gamerscores, send and receive voice and text messages, and access Xbox LIVE Marketplace content such as game demos, HD movies and TV, as well as the best in downloadable games from Xbox LIVE Arcade.

One-month subscription to Xbox LIVE Gold: An Xbox LIVE Gold Membership provides a complete online entertainment experience. Subscribe to this premium service and engage in competitive online multiplayer matches, tailor your matchmaking via feedback and accomplishments, chat with more than one person at a time, and take advantage of unique privileges in Xbox LIVE Marketplace and Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Now Those are the systems available. But what about accessories, and most importantly GAMES!

Well the list of acesories is HUGE. So is the list of games.

SOO.... I'm going to put in links to the accessories list and the games list.

Most all of this is available from local storesor online.

Walmart, Best Buy, Game Stop (EB Games)

And people, trust me when I say, these games, ain't your old .25 arcade games. The graphics are incredible, the game smost all have Digital surround sound, and are set up for play on your HD screens, whther they are small, or HUGE like some people I know.. **cough,cough** Janitor... :laugh:

Any way here's the links..

360 accessories

360 games

Hope this proves to be helpful for those of you looking into an XBOX 360.

Console systems

Xbox Arcade, Pro and Elite systems done...

PS3 systems

PS2

PS1

Wii

Portable systems

PSP

Nintendo

ETC..

Very Cool!! So did you get the MC's helmet with that? (Didn't those come with a helmet, or am I just pulling that out of my arse?)

Very Cool!! So did you get the MC's helmet with that? (Didn't those come with a helmet, or am I just pulling that out of my arse?)

I think it was just a special edition of Halo 3 that came with the MC's helmet.

The Halo console is green and orange.

I think it was just a special edition of Halo 3 that came with the MC's helmet.

The Halo console is green and orange.

Oh. :doh:

Oh. :doh:

I have the Halo edition also...at one point you could order the helmet as an option...I think they sold out before I got mine. It would have looked pretty cool sitting next to the TV especially on the FOB in Afghanistan. We played a lot of Halo 3 on our down time.