Sign in to follow this  
Wulf556

Available Gaming Systems

Okay, Sony had the first big hit of gaming with the PS1 (Playstation 1).

for it's time the graphics were amazing and the games were just outright fun.

SONY-PS1.jpg

Fast forward a little to the rollout of the PS2.

Graphics took another big step forward. It was backwards compatible ( you could play PS1 games on it), offered a pseudo online expeirence.

Few game at the time had online and most people didn't have the bandwidth to play online like we do now.

The PS2 ruled the gaming world for quite a while squashing, SEGA and a few others that were in the path.

In fact it is still available today in a new slim line version and even in a few colors.

PS2 games are still being produced ( but at a slower pace).

The original PS2

ps2-repair.jpg

And the recently released Slim line PS2..

711719706007F.jpg

Now....

After the on set of Microsoft jumping with the XBOX, and then the 360, Sony knew it was time to step up and take it to a new level.

And so we have the PS3.

One of the most versatile "gaming" console I have ever seen.

It's really more of an entertainment system than a gaming system.

But I'll get to all that in a bit.

For Sony to really compete with MIcrosoft, they knew they needed to have a serious On line service/experience.

Hence Playstation online was born.

Sony took Microsofts XBOXlive idea and built their own version... With one HUGE exception...

Where XBOX has free (silver) and $60 per year Gold Memberships....

Everyone on PS network is on the same level and.. IT's Free.

Yep you heard me right, free.

It has all the same downloadable content and Multiplayer games as LIVE.

Granted the LIVE system is a little slicker, but the PS system is nice.

Same friends network, instant messaging and chat.

A really nice layout.

Ok.. on to what you want to know, what is a PS3 and what do I get for my money and where can I get it?

PS3's are available online and in store at Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, Eb games/Gamestop.

All the PS3's look the same. High gloss black finish. Front loading for discs (no tray it functions just like your car cd player)

Wireless controllers, Amazing graphics, on par if not better in some games than the 360.

For movies you get Blue-Ray DVD's. (awesome picture quality and extras)

PS3.jpg

As of right now there are 3 versions of the PS3 and all are identical except for a few things.

Mainly the Hardrive size, number of USB ports and back wards compatibility with PS2 games.

The specs are almost identical but I will psot this any way.

First we have the 40GB system for $399

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) IEEE 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi*

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Wireless Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)

A/V Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

HDMI**: HDMI out - (x1 / HDMI)

Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1

Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Blu-ray/DVD/CD DRIVE "read only"

I/O

USB 2.0 X 2

Dimensions

Approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D)

Weight

Approximately 5 kg CPU

Cell Broadband Engine™

GPU

RSX

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM

256MB GDDR3 VRAM

Hard Drive

2.5' Serial ATA (40GB)

Next is the 60GB system ( this one may be getting phased out as I can't find a price anywhere on this one)

Communication

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

A/V Output

I/O

USB 2.0 X 4

Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash Slots

Dimensions

Weight

Approximately 5 kg CPU

Cell Broadband Engine™

GPU

RSX

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM

256MB GDDR3 VRAM

Hard Drive

2.5' Serial ATA 60GB (model PS456DS)

And finally the big guy... the 80Gb system for $499

Communication

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

A/V Output

I/O

USB 2.0 X 4

Dimensions

Weight

Approximately 5 kg CPU

Cell Broadband Engine™

GPU

RSX

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM

256MB GDDR3 VRAM

Hard Drive

2.5' Serial ATA 80GB (model PS456XT)

As you can see the larger drive units come with a few more options such as additional USB ports and flash card slots.

The main difference is that only the 40Gb unit is NOT backwards compatible with ps2 games, however you CAN play PS1 titles on it.

The others will play everything.

Now for the games... PS3 Games

The catalog is growing pretty quickly. There are a wide variety of games available that are cross platform games but also a good many exclusive titles.

The PS3 does seem to garner more RPG's though.

PS3 Accessories

The list of accessories grows like game catalogs.. more stuff every month.

I hope this helps in your research for finding what system is right for you.

Edited by wulf50guy

Nice! :thumbsup:

Awesome...My kids just got an 80gb for Christmas. I'm still figuring out how to use the thing! Do you have any tips or tricks on how to get the most out of it?

Awesome...My kids just got an 80gb for Christmas. I'm still figuring out how to use the thing! Do you have any tips or tricks on how to get the most out of it?

Here's a link to the Official Playstation forums Playstation Forum

What kind of set up do you have?

TV, Audio, etc?

Here's a link to the Official Playstation forums Playstation Forum

What kind of set up do you have?

TV, Audio, etc?

I hooked it up to our 46" Sony HD 3LCD RPTV via HDMI and I have the sound hooked up to a Sony surround sound receiver via the component cables. (My receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs) Problem is that we don't want to use the surround sound all the time, so we have to change the sound settings back and forth. I wish it had simultaneous sound output so I don't have to switch the settings every time we want to use the surround sound.

Also, the fan on the PS3 runs loud...is this normal? It is in a well ventilated space...

I hooked it up to our 46" Sony HD 3LCD RPTV via HDMI and I have the sound hooked up to a Sony surround sound receiver via the component cables. (My receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs) Problem is that we don't want to use the surround sound all the time, so we have to change the sound settings back and forth. I wish it had simultaneous sound output so I don't have to switch the settings every time we want to use the surround sound.

Also, the fan on the PS3 runs loud...is this normal? It is in a well ventilated space...

Ok I have mine hooked up to a 42" HD-LCD via HDMI cable, and the audio out on the tv ran to my 5.1 system.

I don't know about your receiver but on mine If I don't want to use the surround I just change the audio setting. Mine has stereo, digital 5.1 and standard dolby.

As for the fan, It may be different on the 80gb version but you can hardly even hear mine running.

Ok I have mine hooked up to a 42" HD-LCD via HDMI cable, and the audio out on the TV ran to my 5.1 system.

I don't know about your receiver but on mine If I don't want to use the surround I just change the audio setting. Mine has stereo, digital 5.1 and standard dolby.

As for the fan, It may be different on the 80gb version but you can hardly even hear mine running.

My fan runs fast and loud! It hasn't had a thermal shutdown or any other glitches after hours of non-stop play...so I guess it is normal. It sure generates some heat...LOL! As far as TV audio out, I tried it but the sound is very low via component cables...I am already using the fiber optic and digital inputs on my receiver for the Dish DVR and DVD player, but I may do some cable switching and see how it sounds (The TV has fiber optic output...) It does sound awesome when I switch the PS3's sound settings from HDMI to Component cables and run the surround sound! Just an inconvenience to do so everytime we wanna play LOUD... :bigsmile:

How are you getting audio to the receiver? Unless the PS3 cables are kind of odd, component cables are video cables. If you meant composite cables, that's just a stereo pair, not 5.1.

Are you out of optical inputs on the receiver? If not, I'd try using optical out from the TV to the receiver. The TV should be able to see a 5.1 stream from the hdmi input. Then, you could just use the TV speakers when you didn't want surround sound for whatever reason.

My PS3 should be delivered some time this week (I'm guessing Friday). I sure hope it's not noisy - one of the big reasons I wanted it was for the Blu-Ray player.

How are you getting audio to the receiver? Unless the PS3 cables are kind of odd, component cables are video cables. If you meant composite cables, that's just a stereo pair, not 5.1.

Are you out of optical inputs on the receiver? If not, I'd try using optical out from the TV to the receiver. The TV should be able to see a 5.1 stream from the hdmi input. Then, you could just use the TV speakers when you didn't want surround sound for whatever reason.

My PS3 should be delivered some time this week (I'm guessing Friday). I sure hope it's not noisy - one of the big reasons I wanted it was for the Blu-Ray player.

Right now, I have the HDMI output going to the TV and I have the RCA cables that came with the PS3 hooked up to the audio input on the receiver. Like I said, it sounds good in game mode, but I haven't played a Blu-Ray yet. I might try changing my optical input around...right now, it's connected to my Dish DVR. This stuff can keep you up a night! LOL

Right now, I have the HDMI output going to the TV and I have the RCA cables that came with the PS3 hooked up to the audio input on the receiver. Like I said, it sounds good in game mode, but I haven't played a Blu-Ray yet. I might try changing my optical input around...right now, it's connected to my Dish DVR. This stuff can keep you up a night! LOL

Only problem with changing around your Dish DVR, is that if you're getting 5.1 with it (HD channels mostly I believe) the only way they provide it on that box is through the optical connection.

I haven't seen which RCA cables come with the PS3 (yet), but I'm guessing it's a stereo pair. How many cables did you hook up? Analog 5.1 takes six interconnects. Digital 5.1 is a single connection (hdmi, optical, co-ax).

Do you also have a optical input on the TV? If so, maybe something like:

PS3: (audio & video) -> hdmi to the TV

DVR (video) -> component to whatever you hook to (TV or receiver)

DVR (audio) -> optical to the TV

TV -> optical out back to the receiver

If that worked, that should have you feeding 5.1 from either the DVR or the PS3 to the receiver through the TV.

It could happen. :smile:

Only problem with changing around your Dish DVR, is that if you're getting 5.1 with it (HD channels mostly I believe) the only way they provide it on that box is through the optical connection.

I haven't seen which RCA cables come with the PS3 (yet), but I'm guessing it's a stereo pair. How many cables did you hook up? Analog 5.1 takes six interconnects. Digital 5.1 is a single connection (hdmi, optical, co-ax).

Do you also have a optical input on the TV? If so, maybe something like:

PS3: (audio & video) -> hdmi to the TV

DVR (video) -> component to whatever you hook to (TV or receiver)

DVR (audio) -> optical to the TV

TV -> optical out back to the receiver

If that worked, that should have you feeding 5.1 from either the DVR or the PS3 to the receiver through the TV.

It could happen. :smile:

The PS3's multi out cable is just a red & white RCA plus 1 yellow RCA for video. I'm gonna try connecting like you outlined. I'll report back after I get it changed around. It's a pain to rewire because everything in in an entertainment center and hard to get at the back of the components...

The PS3's multi out cable is just a red & white RCA plus 1 yellow RCA for video. I'm gonna try connecting like you outlined. I'll report back after I get it changed around. It's a pain to rewire because everything in in an entertainment center and hard to get at the back of the components...

Ouch. Yea - entertainment centers are a pain in the a$$. I switched to an open sided/open backed rack a long time ago because of it. Of course, the wife acceptance factor is pretty low with the industrial stuff. :smile:

The cable you hooked up is the composite cable. The red & white cables are the left & right stereo pair. You won't be getting 5.1 that way. I'm interested in hearing how things turn out if cabled the way I suggested (which is just a WAG based on knowing nothing about what inputs your TV has.)

I hope it works.

ok I'm in on the PS3 and the LCD HDTV now, so anyone playing Bad Company 2 yet?

Okay, Sony had the first big hit of gaming with the PS1 (Playstation 1).

for it's time the graphics were amazing and the games were just outright fun.

SONY-PS1.jpg

Fast forward a little to the rollout of the PS2.

Graphics took another big step forward. It was backwards compatible ( you could play PS1 games on it), offered a pseudo online expeirence.

Few game at the time had online and most people didn't have the bandwidth to play online like we do now.

The PS2 ruled the gaming world for quite a while squashing, SEGA and a few others that were in the path.

In fact it is still available today in a new slim line version and even in a few colors.

PS2 games are still being produced ( but at a slower pace).

The original PS2

ps2-repair.jpg

And the recently released Slim line PS2..

711719706007F.jpg

Now....

After the on set of Microsoft jumping with the XBOX, and then the 360, Sony knew it was time to step up and take it to a new level.

And so we have the PS3.

One of the most versatile "gaming" console I have ever seen.

It's really more of an entertainment system than a gaming system.

But I'll get to all that in a bit.

For Sony to really compete with MIcrosoft, they knew they needed to have a serious On line service/experience.

Hence Playstation online was born.

Sony took Microsofts XBOXlive idea and built their own version... With one HUGE exception...

Where XBOX has free (silver) and $60 per year Gold Memberships....

Everyone on PS network is on the same level and.. IT's Free.

Yep you heard me right, free.

It has all the same downloadable content and Multiplayer games as LIVE.

Granted the LIVE system is a little slicker, but the PS system is nice.

Same friends network, instant messaging and chat.

A really nice layout.

Ok.. on to what you want to know, what is a PS3 and what do I get for my money and where can I get it?

PS3's are available online and in store at Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, Eb games/Gamestop.

All the PS3's look the same. High gloss black finish. Front loading for discs (no tray it functions just like your car cd player)

Wireless controllers, Amazing graphics, on par if not better in some games than the 360.

For movies you get Blue-Ray DVD's. (awesome picture quality and extras)

PS3.jpg

As of right now there are 3 versions of the PS3 and all are identical except for a few things.

Mainly the Hardrive size, number of USB ports and back wards compatibility with PS2 games.

The specs are almost identical but I will psot this any way.

First we have the 40GB system for $399

Communication

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

A/V Output

I/O

USB 2.0 X 2

Dimensions

Weight

Approximately 5 kg CPU

Cell Broadband Engine™

GPU

RSX

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM

256MB GDDR3 VRAM

Hard Drive

2.5' Serial ATA (40GB)

Next is the 60GB system ( this one may be getting phased out as I can't find a price anywhere on this one)

Communication

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

A/V Output

I/O

USB 2.0 X 4

Dimensions

Weight

Approximately 5 kg CPU

Cell Broadband Engine™

GPU

RSX

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM

256MB GDDR3 VRAM

Hard Drive

2.5' Serial ATA 60GB (model PS456DS)

And finally the big guy... the 80Gb system for $499

Communication

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

A/V Output

I/O

USB 2.0 X 4

Dimensions

Weight

Approximately 5 kg CPU

Cell Broadband Engine™

GPU

RSX

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM

256MB GDDR3 VRAM

Hard Drive

2.5' Serial ATA 80GB (model PS456XT)

As you can see the larger drive units come with a few more options such as additional USB ports and flash card slots.

The main difference is that only the 40Gb unit is NOT backwards compatible with ps2 games, however you CAN play PS1 titles on it.

The others will play everything.

Now for the games... PS3 Games

The catalog is growing pretty quickly. There are a wide variety of games available that are cross platform games but also a good many exclusive titles.

The PS3 does seem to garner more RPG's though.

PS3 Accessories

The list of accessories grows like game catalogs.. more stuff every month.

I hope this helps in your research for finding what system is right for you.