Sign in to follow this  
njch412

??? Concerning DPMS 308 carbine

Hey everyne, I've been trolling the internet the past couple days reading up on 308 dpms's and liked this site. I have a question.

The name's nate, I'm a cadet at the military academy and I am purchasing a dpms 308. I went to the store (Scheels sporting goods), saw something I liked and could use for target as well as hunting and put it on layaway with a 6 month payment plan. I'm home on leave from school for the first time in 6 months so I did my research online and rather than order online I bought it in store so I could see how I like the feel. I need a FOID card so I couldn't walk out the store with it. Heres my question;

It's a carbine 308 DPMS upper and lower. The rifle has an ejection port cover and forward assist. The gun was shown with no sights (as were all guns in the case). The stock was not a tactical one as can be found on the AP-4, but I'm fairly sure the 308 Carbine doesn't have a forward assist or ejection port cover. The price is just under 1k, lower than the factory price for both the AP-4 and the 308 carbine. Tag on the rifle said LR308 as do all the 308's. Do you guys think the store can swap the tactical stock of the ap4 for a cheaper one? Or am I just purchasing an older dpms rifle. The rifle hadn't been fired. The price seemed low if it is an AP4, But I don't see anywhere online that any other 308 rifle was sold with an ejevtion port cover and forward assist aside from the ap4. Sny info would be appreciated.

I don't know the answer to your question....

But if you get the serial number i would imagine DPMS could probably tell you ....

Back when my wife had an ffl DPMS was actually one of the more helpful distributors i dealt with.

You're probably looking at :

LR-308C

or

LR-308 AP4

The .308 Page at DPMS is here.

TS

yeah thats what i was thinking tigerstripe, but thats the thing....it has elements of both, like hal ap4, half 308c. It has a free float barrel and dustcover / fa, but it doesnt have the tac stock.

Do any of you guys know if its common to show rifles in store without the front and rear sight mounted on them along with the absence of the carrying handle. The manager of the firearms department isnt in until after the new year and he is the guy I dealt with a few days ago. Just trying to figure out some stuff.

Edited by njch412

yeah thats what i was thinking tigerstripe, but thats the thing....it has elements of both, like hal ap4, half 308c. It has a free float barrel and dustcover / fa, but it doesnt have the tac stock.

Do any of you guys know if its common to show rifles in store without the front and rear sight mounted on them along with the absence of the carrying handle. The manager of the firearms department isnt in until after the new year and he is the guy I dealt with a few days ago. Just trying to figure out some stuff.

Also, the barrel was marked as 16 inch like the ap4, while the 308C (which i was mistaken, stands for classic, not carbine) is a 20 inch barrel.

Edited by njch412

It was probably ordered that way or it was an early model that used a rifle buffer. There is a difference between a rifle buffer and a collapsable stock buffer. IIRC, the rifle buffer cuts some of the recoil. It probably took a while to get a buffer that would work with the .308 system. A lot of this is speculation, but some is fact. If it doesn't have front or rear back up iron sights (BUIS), they were probably not included with the carbine/rifle. I would make that one of my first questions for the dealer.

TS

It was probably ordered that way or it was an early model that used a rifle buffer. There is a difference between a rifle buffer and a collapsable stock buffer. IIRC, the rifle buffer cuts some of the recoil. It probably took a while to get a buffer that would work with the .308 system. A lot of this is speculation, but some is fact. If it doesn't have front or rear back up iron sights (BUIS), they were probably not included with the carbine/rifle. I would make that one of my first questions for the dealer.

TS

thanks for the tip, i was planning on asking that when I can get a hold of him along with the serial number.

You wouldnt by chance know what size rails fit the ap4? I was reading off the dpms website that ar-10 rails wont fit because of a thread difference. Do you know if dpms takes ar-15 rails? I see some ap4's offered on independent websites with a quad rail. I can't seem to find where the factory quadrail comes from.

Hello and Welcome njch412 :welcome:

K.. D.P.M.S. does sell stripped and complete lower receivers. It is possible that the store purchased the stripped lower receiver and "built" the rifle them selves. (I believe) The S/R# on the rifle will indicate weather it was sold as a stripped lower receiver or a complete.

I just brought home the LR-.308 Tac20 (Pics coming soon guys) whilst going through the purchase/research process I discovered that some of the options on the sites "Build this rifle now" option are only available there and that's why the custom purchase orders are out four to six months.

I would ask the dealer if it was a complete rifle of built off of a stripped lower.

I do know that DPMS are fantastically built rifles and they are mostly in house accessories. So as far as after market rails, mags etc... Go to the DPMS forum on this site and ask Jason, He is very nice and informative and usually gives a quick response.

I hope any of this has or will help and again Welcome to the Armory. :gun3:

Hello and Welcome njch412 :welcome:

K.. D.P.M.S. does sell stripped and complete lower receivers. It is possible that the store purchased the stripped lower receiver and "built" the rifle them selves. (I believe) The S/R# on the rifle will indicate weather it was sold as a stripped lower receiver or a complete.

I just brought home the LR-.308 Tac20 (Pics coming soon guys) whilst going through the purchase/research process I discovered that some of the options on the sites "Build this rifle now" option are only available there and that's why the custom purchase orders are out four to six months.

I would ask the dealer if it was a complete rifle of built off of a stripped lower.

I do know that DPMS are fantastically built rifles and they are mostly in house accessories. So as far as after market rails, mags etc... Go to the DPMS forum on this site and ask Jason, He is very nice and informative and usually gives a quick response.

I hope any of this has or will help and again Welcome to the Armory. :gun3:

thank you, appreciate the help. This forum has been most informative.

It is possible that the store purchased the stripped lower receiver and "built" the rifle them selves. (I believe) The S/R# on the rifle will indicate weather it was sold as a stripped lower receiver or a complete.

That being said, that store could have commited a federal offense if they dont have the license to manufacture firearms.

That is a no no for a store to take a stripped lower and build it in house and sell as a complete gun.

That being said, that store could have commited a federal offense if they dont have the license to manufacture firearms.

That is a no no for a store to take a stripped lower and build it in house and sell as a complete gun.

that being said, will i ever be able to sell the AR that i built?

i know, slight hijack, sorry.

that being said, will i ever be able to sell the AR that i built?

i know, slight hijack, sorry.

HEY GET YOUR OWN TOPIC LOL. jk jk

I called the store, got a serial number and emailed DPMS. The serial number that the person in customer service gave me was one number. If the upper and lower were different would there have been two serial numbers. The girl said that the number she gave me was the only serial number to be found on the rifle, I dont know if that means she saw two numbers that matched or only saw one number.

As to the rails, DPMS has their own large cailber rail. It is for the .260, .308, etc... It can be found here. It is the second one from the bottom.