.40calpower

Marketing research on AR

I would like to know how you guys feel about gas piston designed ARs. What are some of the pros and cons, and how likely you are to purchase an aftermarket conversion if there was one?

they look neat, but i don't really have any plans on getting one any time soon.

mine work just fine. :thumb:

I read alot about them when I was doing my pre-AR research. If you're somebody who fires a crapload of rounds (military or competition), then you might see some benefit over the life of the rifle. For the average dude, I doubt its worth it. I doubt I'll be upgrading unless the price goes WAY down, because mine runs fine, and I've got two other "gas piston" rifles (Garands) draining me dry. :flea:

Let me ask you this. If you could do a simple gas tube to piston swap with no special gun smithing for under $200 would you do it?

Edited by .40calpower

Let me ask you this. If you could do a simple gas tube to piston swap with no special gun smithing for under $200 would you do it?

For under $200?

I would have to see it. The mechanics of transferring the gas to the op-rod with minimal to no modification to weapon.

Would the receiver need a bushing of some sort for the op-rod to run in?

What about the gas key? Would it use a modified user replaceable gas key or would it have to sent in for work or the entire Bolt carrier replaced?

Easy adjustment to fine tuning if necessary?

Would it fit under standard hand guards or would you be limited to using certain free float rails ?

I'm just throwing some questions at you as it sound like you may be trying to develope something.

But for under $200 with limited to no modifications, I'd be willing to look at it.

Personally I have had zero issues with all my DI AR's. (other than being dirty)

One reason I haven't looked deeply into pistons is the cost of the kits, and the cost of the modifications and limitations on hand guards.

what is it that is being talked about? Like what parts are needed to be changed and what's the difference between the two?

A standard AR uses the gas for the fired round to operate the bolt and strip a round to be ready to fire again. That system uses a tube that goes from the front sight base to the bolt carrier key. The gasses end up putting carbon inside the upper receiver, mostly at the rear of the bolt.

A gas piston system uses the gasses to pust a piston that hits the bolt carrier to make it work the system. This type of system keeps the carbon and gas out of the upper receiver.

In my opinion the gas piston system is better. It takes heat and gas away from the bolt and the entire BCG which makes the lifetime of these parts much longer. Some special operation forces are currently using the HK416 piston system "over there".

The "bad" part of gas piston systems is that there are a ton of different systems out there. There are eight that come to mind easily...

TS

For under $200?

I would have to see it. The mechanics of transferring the gas to the op-rod with minimal to no modification to weapon.

Would the receiver need a bushing of some sort for the op-rod to run in?

What about the gas key? Would it use a modified user replaceable gas key or would it have to sent in for work or the entire Bolt carrier replaced?

Easy adjustment to fine tuning if necessary?

Would it fit under standard hand guards or would you be limited to using certain free float rails ?

I'm just throwing some questions at you as it sound like you may be trying to develope something.

But for under $200 with limited to no modifications, I'd be willing to look at it.

Personally I have had zero issues with all my DI AR's. (other than being dirty)

One reason I haven't looked deeply into pistons is the cost of the kits, and the cost of the modifications and limitations on hand guards.

thanks a lot for the input. I will have to take those ideas into account. I have a pretty simple idea of how to convert the two. I would elaborate but I would hate for someone to beat me to the punch.

A standard AR uses the gas for the fired round to operate the bolt and strip a round to be ready to fire again. That system uses a tube that goes from the front sight base to the bolt carrier key. The gasses end up putting carbon inside the upper receiver, mostly at the rear of the bolt.

A gas piston system uses the gasses to pust a piston that hits the bolt carrier to make it work the system. This type of system keeps the carbon and gas out of the upper receiver.

In my opinion the gas piston system is better. It takes heat and gas away from the bolt and the entire BCG which makes the lifetime of these parts much longer. Some special operation forces are currently using the HK416 piston system "over there".

The "bad" part of gas piston systems is that there are a ton of different systems out there. There are eight that come to mind easily...

TS

ahh makes sense now..thanks!

ahh makes sense now..thanks!

No problem, that's why I'm here.

TS

thanks a lot for the input. I will have to take those ideas into account. I have a pretty simple idea of how to convert the two. I would elaborate but I would hate for someone to beat me to the punch.

You're welcome.

I love to see new ideas and innovations for the AR platform. I know there are a few of these type conversion systems out there but they are expensive. And require modifications to the weapon in some shape or form.

The switch to piston drive is a big thing going right now.

If you can come up with a reliable system in that price range.. wow.. you're gonna probably make some money if it's reliable, easy to install, and quality parts.

I believe POF has the most affordable complete piston upper at around $900-ish dollars.( That right TS ? )

Ares makes a system and theres another company that does too but they are over the 300-400 dollar mark.

You're welcome.

I love to see new ideas and innovations for the AR platform. I know there are a few of these type conversion systems out there but they are expensive. And require modifications to the weapon in some shape or form.

The switch to piston drive is a big thing going right now.

If you can come up with a reliable system in that price range.. wow.. you're gonna probably make some money if it's reliable, easy to install, and quality parts.

I believe POF has the most affordable complete piston upper at around $900-ish dollars.( That right TS ? )

Ares makes a system and theres another company that does too but they are over the 300-400 dollar mark.

It's $1000 now, but they've made a lot of great improvements that more than make up for the extra $100...

TS

It's $1000 now, but they've made a lot of great improvements that more than make up for the extra $100...

TS

Thank you for the clarification. It's been a while since I priced one of these.

Now they come with a Nickel Silicone plating on all the internal parts including the inside of the upper and half of the charging handle. They no longer require any lube. They have a new superlong life barrel.

TS