Sign in to follow this  
Firemanwas11b

Gun season starts here soon

Saturday is opening day here for gun season. looking forward to pulling out the new rifle and see how it does. Should hopefully be a good opening weekend.

The wife has been hounding me to get out hunting more, she wants meat in the freezer. Lets hope this weekend goes well. If we do half as well as last year I will be happy, it was 4 deer between 2 people by 8 Sunday morning.

Also good luck to all you other deer hunters. deer2.gifdeer27.gif

Edited by Firemanwas11b

good luck! :thumb:

general firearms season ends here saturday at dark. i haven't really been able to get out with a rifle this year...

Knock em down and fill that freezer!!!

I wish my wife would bug me to hunt more, that would be difficult to do seeing that I am constantly in the woods. I get bugged to stay home but I can't . Hunting is in my blood and I enjoy hunting whitetails the most.

Good luck with your new rifle.

keep us posted and lets see some pics!

quick update: Day one is over and I am about to start day 2. Had my doe at 7 AM not just waiting on a buck. Shortly after I shot the doe a half rack fork came trotting by at 10 yrds. Figured it was early so I let him walk, that and after seeing what a 150 gr Nosler ballistic tip did at 120 yrds, didn't want to ruin any meat.

Then at 10 I got a call from my dad that he got his doe.

Edited by Firemanwas11b

after seeing what a 150 gr Nosler ballistic tip did at 120 yrds, didn't want to ruin any meat.

Guys, please take my advice and use a premium bullet like Barnes X etc...

Nosler Ballistic tips ruin so much meat it is ridiculous.

This is usually caused by thin jacketed bullets fragmenting when it contacts the target.

This is especially true when using modern high velocity calibers like the short mags, 7mm mag, etc...

Jim

BTW Outstanding job on the hunt! :thumb:

Guys, please take my advice and use a premium bullet like Barnes X etc...

Nosler Ballistic tips ruin so much meat it is ridiculous.

This is usually caused by thin jacketed bullets fragmenting when it contacts the target.

This is especially true when using modern high velocity calibers like the short mags, 7mm mag, etc...

Jim

BTW Outstanding job on the hunt! :thumb:

ON this note yes Jim is very correct, luckly when we butchered the deer no meat was damaged. I knew that When the rounds were purchased but the .308 rounds were picked clean at the store....I do believe in my area the 30-06 is a very popular caliber there was an abundant supply of those.

ON a side note I hope to start reloading here soon or working with my friend who already does and get some good hunting rounds.

Keep dropping them bro!!!

Congrats to your dad as well.

I use Winchester Silver Ballistic Tip in one of the .243's for neck shots only. I have seen some meat destruction from them as well. They do make a good neckbreaker though.

Ballistic tips are fine if you shoot for the heart or lungs,not to much to ruin there.I am not much for the shoulder shot.