Sign in to follow this  
Zippo

10MM fans--The Cartridge or the Novelty?

The factory loads are generally considered anemic only in comparison to what the cartridge is capable of, they are still higher in velocity or push a heavier bullet than a .40 S&W.

Some bullets designed for the .40 S&W don't work so well in the 10mm, those that were designed to expand at much lower velocities. I'd say the solid copper hollowpoints and the heavy hardcast lead bullets are what you want in the 10mm for max performance. I also like the 175 grain Winchester Silvertips, you don't see those on a .40 S&W, they were made for higher 10mm velocities.

Thanks for the info.

So, are the bullet manufacturers, Horandy, Speer, etc, making .40 caliber hollowpoint SD bullets for handloaders that are designed to hold together at the higher velocities of the 10mm?

Most of the bullets are design to operate in a limited velocity window...only testing them to extremes will show if their performance will work at this upper end of performance. The bullet manufactures don't list the velocity data specificly but show loadings to reflect, another reason for anemic velocities.

Testing in various mediums will show if expansion is within its design or in the case of upper end 10mm exceeds these criteria.

Many are doing thier own private testing documenting velocities and results just to see...water, wax, wet paper packs, meat and gelitin. While some of this is non scientific as compared to real world results, it you can derive at conclusions based on the recovered projectiles. This is why many of the 10mm shooters are posting their results online. GlockTalk in the 10mm reloading section has many postings to reflect the results.

Best regards!

The bullet manufactures don't list the velocity data specificly but show loadings to reflect, another reason for anemic velocities.

I always wondered why only Hornady lists their optimum velocity ranges for expansion.

The definition of noveltly is something 'new or unusual'. First off, the cartridge in not new. It's been around in various forms, since 1983. The only thing 'unusual' about it is, the many myths concerning it's availability and performance levels. Most range ammo from 'American Eagle' and 'UMC' in 180 gr. is fairly anemic from mid to upper .40 S&W power levels. What attracts me most to the 10mm, is the terminal ballistic performance down range. Which exceed the .45 ACP's performance at the same 100 yards. This makes it a great self-defense round, when properly loaded.

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

Zombie thread from 2005.

I love the performance, the cult status is more of hindrance than a helping.

Let me put it this way, if 50 10mm chambered guns hit the market tomorrow I would be broke but happy.

Ya took the words right out of my mouth.

For Glocks, you can expect up to 150 fps. increase using a 6" bbl. over stock bbl. lengths (4.6") with 125 fps. being the average gain.

Here are a couple of mine for starters: (Probably more appropriate for the Home Brew section, but supports my point.)

155 gr Rem. HP 12.0 gr. 800X 1425fps G20 stock bbl.

155 gr. Rem HP 12.0 gr. 800X 1540fps G20 6" Jarvis

New WW Brass, CCI 350 primer, C.O.L.:1.260

Shooting Chrony results recorded at 95 degrees in Las Cruces, NM

Here are some from McNett of DT Ammo: (Source: Glocktalk.com)

All his loads use new Starline Brass, CCI 350 primers. 1.260 C.O.L.

220 gr. 10.0 gr. Blue Dot 1219 fps. G20 stock bbl.

220 gr. 10.0 gr. Blue Dot 1318 fps. G20 6" KKM

220 gr. 10.0 gr. Blue Dot 1115 fps. G29 stock bbl.

155 gr. GDHP 12.3 gr. 800X 1465 fps. G20 stock bbl.

155 gr. GDHP 12.3 gr. 800X 1578 fps. G20 6" KKM

155 gr. GDHP 12.8 gr. Blue Dot 1305 fps G20C stock bbl.

155 gr. GDHP 12.8 gr. Blue Dot 1451 fps G20 6" KKM

Another source at ballisticreview.com listed:

155 gr. XTP 13.4 gr. Blue Dot 1604 fps. 6"KKM with a Mercury filled guide rod and heavy spring

set up (24#). New Starline Brass, CCI 350 primer, C.O.L. 1.260

NOTE: this is hotter than McNetts load. I have used it, it seemed hot, but no hotter than any of the 800X loads I have safely worked up. Still, I have no idea what pressures are.

Double check your sources before attempting anyones load data, even mine. And start at least 2 grains lower and work up.

Awesome indeed.

If you like those numbers you would love the ones I got out of my sixteen inch 10mm Uzi! I also plan on adding a ten inch 10mm barrel to my collection as well. A 135 grain bullet loaded over Power Pistol gave me almost 1700 FPS!

Zombie thread from 2005.

No kidding. The 10mm Auto was 25% younger when this thread started!

There are a very few bullets out there that I think the 10mm will overdrive in real-world scenarios. As the FBI said in the late '80's when developing their test criteria, "We rarely shoot naked people."

I believe the 10mm gives a much better margin for expansion after the projectile passes through clothing or obstacles. Recent analysis shows the .40 often doesn't expand in real world test, and that an additional 150-200 fps greatly increases the probability of expansion. That means the 10mm is right in that sweet spot.

Flexibility is what I like.

I own many fine handguns and cartridge combos.

While there are certainly better cartridges for certain apps, the 10 will always be king of the hill for flexibility in a standard semi-auto handgun.

It will deliver power and accuracy in spades or it can be tamed down if necessary.

It is a handloaders dream.

Oh and thanks for reviving this thread.... :wink:

"10mm fans -- The Cartridge or the Novelty?"

How 'bout performance? :rolleyes:

motivator46fdd30941de0051d087f76546.jpg

That means real 10mm ammo loaded to real 10mm levels ... with ballistics vetted by firing said ammo in real-world 10mm pistols, and not out of some secret-squirrel test barrel hidden in the dark recesses of a mainstream ammo factory.

'Cause that's where they make .40S&W ammo ... :puke:

:cool:

It is amazing that six years later and the cartridge is as strong as ever. I love mine for versatility. It has been said time and time again but where else can one standard auto cartridge be used for eveything 99.9% people will ever encounter. You hand load target loads for almost the same price as .40, you can max load a 200+ grain bullet for woods defense against everything except brown bears, or you can get some manufacturer ammo for self defense. whether you like the milder handling of a 500FPE load or the torque of something higher it all can be yours. And the cartridge is alive and well look at all the new manufacturers in the last two years... heck even hornady released a new load with their critical defense 165gr. Like or not no other auto cartridge is as versatile... you want one auto pistol for everything, it better be a 10!

For me, it's definitely the cartridge. If I wanted novelty, I would have bought a Desert Eagle in .50AE. Now there's an overrated POS. :thumb:

It is amazing that six years later and the cartridge is as strong as ever. I love mine for versatility. It has been said time and time again but where else can one standard auto cartridge be used for eveything 99.9% people will ever encounter. You hand load target loads for almost the same price as .40, you can max load a 200+ grain bullet for woods defense against everything except brown bears, or you can get some manufacturer ammo for self defense. whether you like the milder handling of a 500FPE load or the torque of something higher it all can be yours. And the cartridge is alive and well look at all the new manufacturers in the last two years... heck even hornady released a new load with their critical defense 165gr. Like or not no other auto cartridge is as versatile... you want one auto pistol for everything, it better be a 10!

Love this post. True stuff.

If you like those numbers you would love the ones I got out of my sixteen inch 10mm Uzi! I also plan on adding a ten inch 10mm barrel to my collection as well. A 135 grain bullet loaded over Power Pistol gave me almost 1700 FPS!
Not a big deal for 1700fps with Nosler 135 & 10" G2 Contender, but just over 1800 fps was where they maxed with powder used. On the third one of those the recoil took out a new NcStar scope, popped the turrets clear off scope and of course had things loose and rattling inside. So far the Nikon Encore 2.5-7x32 is holding up. The accuracy of the Nosler 135gr dropped off about 1600/1650 (IIRC) from the G-20, never got around to clocking the DE Colt. The power/velocity loss was enough on the 610's that with the grip problems I have with S&W's I just let them go down the road, but I never tried any hot stuff in them as they hurt my hands and wrist too much when shooting. For that matter never shot the 5" enough to even call it used, the 6.5" was only one checked with Chrony and the velocity drop was enough that the same load out the G-29 was faster.

On 1911's the key to hot loads and not damaging the frame with the the return slap from a 22#, 24# or 26# spring is a EGW firing pin stop. This allows the use of most hot loads w/o upgrading from 20# factory spring weight. The buffer is good idea for range use, but not installed when being carried in service, because of possible break up and causing a jam at the wrong time.

What I really like about the 10mm besides flat shooting, accuracy and energy on target is no other pistol cartridge has as many Jacked, semi-Jacked, or cast lead in weights and type or design. I have heard 38/357 shooters & 44 revolver shooters comment that's why they don't shoot 41 caliber. For those reasons I got into 10mm over 38 Super or 9mm calibers. Both are great calibers, but 9mm with any mass is to slow and the once great and most common 1911 caliber in public use the 38 Super also IMHO is shy on weight or mass and also has that lack of bullet choice.

But it nice to see people eye open wide or comment something like WOW when they see the red/orange DE emblem, hear it fired, or just me telling them what I carry. :cool:

For me, the 10mm has two attractions - one, of course, is that it is a powerful and versatile auto pistol cartridge - and one of the few auto pistol cartridges that you can hunt with. But I have to admit that what got me to buy my first 10mm (a Glock 20) was the novelty.

But maybe "novelty" isn't the right word, because if I just wanted something that few people had, I'd could have gotten a 357 maximum or a 9mm Federal.

What I really like about the 10mm is that it works very well AND it isn't something that you find all over the line at the pistol range. THAT'S an uncommon combination. There are plenty of effective cartridges (for a variety of uses) and there are LOTS of cartridges you don't see every day, but not too many that are BOTH.

Jim