AR15Armory.com

10mm SBR

Guest JAYTEAM

Guest JAYTEAM

Does anyone here have a 10mm SBR built on the AR15 platform, or know anything about building one?

I have a stripped Sun Devil billet aluminum lower receiver set aside for an SBR project, but I can't decide what to build.

I know that some of the internals are different on a 9mm lower from 5.56. I am guessing the same applies to 10mm, but would it be the same as 9mm. Does anyone know about this?

I think 10mm would make a wicked SBR/Subgun round and I am giving this some serious consideration. Of course all of this would be contingent on reliability and mag availability.

Jay

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay: Not sure if this helps, but check out Nordic's 10mm AR set-up using an Oly 10mm upper and "converted" .41AE mags. He got the thing running pretty well, but the key is accessing mags that will feed the 10mm reliably and then modifiying that block unit in the mag-well to lock 'em in.

Anyway, regarding the SBR, how hard would it be to get Oly to make a 10mm upper with a shortened 11" or 14" tube?

You can see Nordic's set-up on his Bren Ten 10mm site:

http://bren-ten.com

Guest JAYTEAM

Thanks agtman,

I think my dream of a 10mm SBR AR15 may be a little bigger project than I want to tackle. I wouldn't mind doing one in 6.8 SPC instead if it wasn't the holy grail of ammo.

Jay

Well, 10mm I think would be good for a 16" carbine since it can actually gain something from the extra barrel length but if you're going to SBR I'd go with something redily available and short barrel friendly like 45 ACP or 9mm. Unless you just like big fireballs, then I think there's only one choice - .50 Beowulf!

Thanks agtman,

I think my dream of a 10mm SBR AR15 may be a little bigger project than I want to tackle. I wouldn't mind doing one in 6.8 SPC instead if it wasn't the holy grail of ammo.

Jay

Yup, I hear you on the 6.8X43mm - looks like a great round to me. Now that magazines are becoming less rare than unicorn fleece I am thinking to take the plunge. I already have a Rock River lower on hand for this project. I can only hope that the ammo will get cheaper - Hell, it's hard to imagine how it could get more expensive!

I think Star Armory in Nevada has the best price I've seen at just about $0.50 per round. Empty brass is still around $0.25 a piece when bought in bulk. I can only hope that this will head down into a 'normal' range in the next 5 years or so.

(Edited to add the correct name - Silver State Armory www.ssarmory.com)

Edited by Mechanical Fool

JayTeam-

I had an Oly 10mm that I was going to SBR and run a .40 suppressor on it-I decided not to for a couple of reasons:

-Mag availability or lack there of was a big issue in my opinion

-The Oly I had was not very reliable-prone to jams and misfeds

-Accuracy with the 16” barrel was not impressive at all

I ended up basically giving the gun away, I replaced it with a Mech Tech conversion on a Glock 20, and this has turned out to be a great carbine.

magazines are readily available-15 round Glock mags are $14.00

2” group at 75 yards

very reliable

By the way, there is an Oly 10mm complete carbine for sale with one hi-cap mag on AR15.com for $700.00-I'm not affiliated with this rifle/sale in any way.

• 3 months later...
I think 10mm would make a wicked SBR/Subgun round and I am giving this some serious consideration. Of course all of this would be contingent on reliability and mag availability.

Jay, check out my REVIEW OF VECTOR/COHARIE CA5-10 (MP5/10 CLONE) SBR that I just posted. It's not an AR15, but mine (with all of the Vector upgrades) works like a top. The reported problems were the result of (mostly) people using the LO locking piece with much too powerful ammo. Of course, some of the parts DID need to be upgraded, but I have those. It rocks.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't comment on Oly's 10mm upper (I actually just posted a question about them here), but I do have an Oly .45acp upper. It's unbelieveably reliable with every FMJ, JHP and cast bullet I reload for it.

Mag availability is also an issue with Oly's .45acp uppers. They use .45acp Uzi mags, which are next to impossible to find now. My friend found three at a gunshow in PA this spring, but the seller wanted $75 each for them. It's not worth it to me.

What I use now is a SOCOM magwell adapter and 9mm STEN mags. The only catch is that you can't use full length FMJ .45acp's due to the shorter mag. But, you can use either 185gr JHP's (too expensive for any real shooting, even if you reload, IMO), or some cast bullets. I've used some 250gr cast RNFP cowboy type .45LC bullets with excellent results. And, my friend has a 225gr truncated cone bullet for the .45acp in a Hensley and Gibbs mould that fits in the STEN mag and functions flawlessly.

So, that just goes to show there are ways around it. Instead of spending $100 or so for converted Uzi mags, I can use $3 STEN mags with minor feed lip mods.

You could, as mentioned above, close up the Greasegun mag's feed lips a little and 10mm's would fit fine in there. But, if you use a standard lower, they are too wide for the magwell. The GG mag's thickness is the same as the outside of a standard AR's dimension.

So, there's two options if you want to use cheaper GG mags. Either get a 20% lower available now with a thicker dimension in the magwell area and do a LOT of machine work, or simply get a Cav Arms lower. They are a polymer lower with the buttstock moulded into the assembly. The magwell is thick enough, intentionally made that way for use with Greasegun mags. You just need to get the Hahn Mag Block and you're all set. That would set you up with no mods for .45acp. But, if you want to go with 10mm, just get the Cav Arms lower, Hahn Mag Block, Oly 10mm upper, and some Greasegun mags. Close in the feed lips a little and blast away.

I know it's not a 10mm, but if you are interested in the testing I've done with various bullet shapes in my .45acp Oly upper to see how reliable they really are, here's a link to a post I made on ARFDC. There's info there from other posters on the Cav Arms lower and GG mags, too. Hope this helps you make your decision.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=297227

When it comes to accuracy, I'm extremely impressed with mine out to 100 yards. I have an Armson OEG sight on mine, an just informally plinking, it's easy to hit milk jugs at 100 yards offhand every time. The OEG isn't really that well suited for anything must past 50 yards, so minute-of-milkjug is about all you can expect. I'd like to put on a Trijicon Reflex sight someday and play with that, but funds are way too low right now. I haven't found a single load that's not accurate in mine yet, whether it's a factory load or reload, cast, FMJ or JHP. It seems to like them all.

Edited by Hawgleg44

• 1 month later...

From what I see the magazine problem is the deal killer for most of these otherwise interesting 10mm carbines.

There doesn't seem to be an easy solution... if some made mags from the ground up the market would be so small that the price would be high... sort of self limiting.

Maybe someone will come up with a good answer... or maybe the Army will adopt the 10mm..... :innocent:

FWIW

Chuck

Does anyone here have a 10mm SBR built on the AR15 platform, or know anything about building one?

I have a stripped Sun Devil billet aluminum lower receiver set aside for an SBR project, but I can't decide what to build.

I know that some of the internals are different on a 9mm lower from 5.56. I am guessing the same applies to 10mm, but would it be the same as 9mm. Does anyone know about this?

Jay

So, there's two options if you want to use cheaper GG mags. Either get a 20% lower available now with a thicker dimension in the magwell area and do a LOT of machine work, or simply get a Cav Arms lower. They are a polymer lower with the buttstock moulded into the assembly. The magwell is thick enough, intentionally made that way for use with Greasegun mags. You just need to get the Hahn Mag Block and you're all set. That would set you up with no mods for .45acp. But, if you want to go with 10mm, just get the Cav Arms lower, Hahn Mag Block, Oly 10mm upper, and some Greasegun mags. Close in the feed lips a little and blast away.

It looks like there are two more options on the horizon for an AR45 that is specifically designed to accept .45acp greasegun mags, which is good for us as long as Oly continues to produce the 10mm uppers.

An outfit called BazookaBros has been making a modified AR lower receiver which uses standard greasegun mags, they require the addition on a slot milled in the side for the magazine catch. Apparently there have been a few of their lowers on GunBroker and they have also been discussed on ARFcom.

bazookabros016xy.jpg

bazookabros029ua.jpg

bazookabros036mn.jpg

There is another company called Tango Chaser Tactical that has an AR45 lower in the pipeline. It also is designed to use .45 greaseguns mags with no modifications to the mags.

From what I've gotten from a couple threads at ARFcom, it's a billet machined lower. Estimated price range is $300, availability supposedly January (maybe February?), manufacturer & distributor will be DeGroat Tactical Armaments, first run will be a batch of 500 lowers with more to follow based on demand.

I personally think THIS is the best upcoming option.

ar45014wh.jpg

ar45023an.jpg

ar45038vi.jpg

TangoChaser Tactical also seems to be working on a 20rd conversion for the greasegun mags.

ar4520rdconversion7sr.jpg

Things could be looking good for those of us who are wanting a 10mm built on an AR- platform. :thumbsup:

If you have or have access to a milling machine with just the basic tooling, Tangochaser's 10% AR45 lowers are not hard at all to complete. I've seen pics of my friend's which he completed playing around on a Grizzly milling machine in four nights after work. He estimates about 20 hours into it, and he has no formal training on any machine tools at all. He did a great job, and I'll be playing with it in the indoor range at the club around midnight tonight (I like having the place to myself).

He has not yet anodized it since we want to make sure there are no other mods needed and have to mess up the finish. I'll post more on it when I get home from the club.

What's great about using GG mags is the spring tension. If you use modified STEN mags like I do in my .45acp Oly upper, you struggle to get the 15th round in there. Actually, you struggle after the first three of four. The GG mags seem to have a pretty constant spring tension on them all the way to the last round. Nice and easy to load without cutting your thumb up like a STEN does. Oh, and I'm not some wimp who complains about how hard it is to load mags, any mags, and I NEVER use a mag loading tool, but, DAMN, I'm getting the STEN mag tool. Those things are brutal!

If you have or have access to a milling machine with just the basic tooling, Tangochaser's 10% AR45 lowers are not hard at all to complete. I've seen pics of my friend's which he completed playing around on a Grizzly milling machine in four nights after work. He estimates about 20 hours into it, and he has no formal training on any machine tools at all. He did a great job, and I'll be playing with it in the indoor range at the club around midnight tonight (I like having the place to myself).

He has not yet anodized it since we want to make sure there are no other mods needed and have to mess up the finish. I'll post more on it when I get home from the club.

Some of us don't have access to a milling machine, so we've got to wait for the lower to get released. Believe me, if I had access to a mill I'd be all over this.

Post up a review of what you think about the lower for us. I think this will be a good upcoming option and would like to hear as much as possible from others about it. :popcorn:

• 2 weeks later...