Sign in to follow this  
Combat Controller

Springfield XD 10mm conversion

Ok, I want a 10mm XD, and Springfield has not been forthcoming. So, My buddy Fast Rope and myself have decided to make one. We actually found two ways to pull this off, and one is better than the other.

Method one. As I have previously experimented and proved, you can stick a .40/.357sig XD slide on a .45 frame and have it work. The mag lips need to be pinched a little, but big deal. So, I figure I could stick the slide on the .45 frame (which is needed as the 10mm is the same COL as the .45 and the mags are the right size) and have a .40 chamber bored out to 10mm, there is plenty of room.

Upside: The breechface is the right size, and the barrel fits perfect. You can swap barrels and still have two functional XD's.

Downside: The slide has a bit of a gap (har har) and does not mate perfectly with the .45 frame. Additionally, the ejection port is too small to eject a loaded round. The empties will probably fly out ok though.

Method two. I stuck the .40 barrel in the .45 slide and reassembled the gun. It fits perfectly, except for the little gap between the chamber and the top of the slide. But it locks up tight, so it may not be a huge deal. I may be able to order a .45 barrel chambered for 10mm from Bar Sto or similar. The breechface is too big, but surprisingly the extractor will grab and extract the ammo. What I want to do is cut down a thousandth or so of metal holding the extractor back, and by relieving the metal gripping the case tightly. It may be a tad off center, and more measurement is required.

Upside: 16 round capacity 10mm XD, the only one of it's kind. I will buy a new .45 XD to mutilate, and buy the "compact" so I can carry 12 or 13 rounds instead. Hey, it's a 10mm! What else could you want?

Downside: Have to violate the warranty on the slide. The frame may not like the stress of 10mm, at least not full house loads. But they made a .40, and the recoil and pressure are not that much more. Granted, the .45 was not designed for it, but I bet it will hold up.

Overall, I think I may go with method one to experiment, and then move to method two. I will of course, use a heavier spring. Any feedback or ideas? Like an idiot I sold off both of my .45's.... I need to buy one just to convert.

If you get it to run reliably with magazines that look like they're actually part of the set-up, then that would be very cool indeed.

I sure will. It looks like November is the next gun purchase for me, this months money is all spent. So hopefully before Christmas I will have a prototype.

Guest jonathandeer07
Ok, I want a 10mm XD, and Springfield has not been forthcoming. So, My buddy Fast Rope and myself have decided to make one. We actually found two ways to pull this off, and one is better than the other.

Method one. As I have previously experimented and proved, you can stick a .40/.357sig XD slide on a .45 frame and have it work. The mag lips need to be pinched a little, but big deal. So, I figure I could stick the slide on the .45 frame (which is needed as the 10mm is the same COL as the .45 and the mags are the right size) and have a .40 chamber bored out to 10mm, there is plenty of room.

Upside: The breechface is the right size, and the barrel fits perfect. You can swap barrels and still have two functional XD's.

Downside: The slide has a bit of a gap (har har) and does not mate perfectly with the .45 frame. Additionally, the ejection port is too small to eject a loaded round. The empties will probably fly out ok though.

Method two. I stuck the .40 barrel in the .45 slide and reassembled the gun. It fits perfectly, except for the little gap between the chamber and the top of the slide. But it locks up tight, so it may not be a huge deal. I may be able to order a .45 barrel chambered for 10mm from Bar Sto or similar. The breechface is too big, but surprisingly the extractor will grab and extract the ammo. What I want to do is cut down a thousandth or so of metal holding the extractor back, and by relieving the metal gripping the case tightly. It may be a tad off center, and more measurement is required.

Upside: 16 round capacity 10mm XD, the only one of it's kind. I will buy a new .45 XD to mutilate, and buy the "compact" so I can carry 12 or 13 rounds instead. Hey, it's a 10mm! What else could you want?

Downside: Have to violate the warranty on the slide. The frame may not like the stress of 10mm, at least not full house loads. But they made a .40, and the recoil and pressure are not that much more. Granted, the .45 was not designed for it, but I bet it will hold up.

Overall, I think I may go with method one to experiment, and then move to method two. I will of course, use a heavier spring. Any feedback or ideas? Like an idiot I sold off both of my .45's.... I need to buy one just to convert.

the 10 mm produces such a high pressure i would almost be scared to make a custom conversion that didnt have a tailored fit. plus i dont think the stock slide and fram of the xd would hold up to the pressure of the 10mm. i think your on the right track and for all i know it might work flawlessly. give it a try and let me know. i really appreciate the feedback and if the proper data was givin would be willing to try the custom conversion.