Sign in to follow this  
SHOOT1SAM

Update on my CCO

So, to bring others up to speed, here's what I originally posted as to what was being built:

"" Essex Officer's frame

Nowlin barrel, non-ramped

Slide....I'm not sure on. I was leaning toward no front cocking serrations, but one with may be a significant amount less expensive; I really have no preference on the serrations.

24# recoil spring

EGW flat-bottomed firing pin stop

Metalform 10mm Officer's model magazines

Sights...I don't remember the brand we decided on, but with green dots on the the rear & orange up front

Beavertail safety...can't remember if we decided on a specific brand. And by the way, wouldn't

"Beavertail & the Butter Bags" be a bitchin' name for a rock band?

Standard length, curved trigger

Single-sided safety

Standard guide rod-not full-length

There's probably other stuff too, the specifics of which are not coming to mind. ""

Also as previously posted, the Essex frame was actually for a Detonics sized pistol and Officer's parts woudn't fit without extensive modifications. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a Caspian frame and snagged it to get the project back on track.

The barrel was changed to a Storm Lake, and I got 3 of the Metalform mags and supplied the original rosewood grips off of my Kimber Ultra Elite. Then, all we were waiting on was communication from Essex on the slide. I stumbled onto a Commander length 10mm slide from our old buddy.........Bob Serva & Fusion Arms.

Sent the info to my 'smith, Robert, and he purchased it and then talked with that worthy. He came away thoroughly impressed, referring to Bob in glowing terms and says he sees a long & good friendship forming in the future. Robert is planning to relocate to a larger shop and plans to order up some Fusion Arms kits to have on hand.

It should be finished being put together for some test firing by the end of the week, just as I leave for Chi town to attend a seminar. We are going to leave the sights off for the function firing, not placing them on until the finishing is done.

Sam

Sounds good.

You're gun guy has found out what many of us already know about Bob Serva.

Looking forward to pictures, range report and your impression of the 10mm belly gun

Excellent! Glad to hear that your project is underway and nearing completion. Keep us posted.

Scott

The CCO is ready......to an extent.

We started out with the Essex frame, which needed to be finished, then fell into the Caspian frame which is stainless. I thought that the slide was stainless too, and thought, HEY-I don't really need to finish anything on it at this time!! Turns out the slide is just in the white, but I talked with my 'smith and said I thought it was in my best interests to shoot the gun enough so that everything would be seated in, before doing any finish work on it. Besides, I really don't want to have to wait 6-8 more weeks for the Roguard treatment right now.

So, he bead blasted the slide yesterday & installed the sights and said that with a light oiling every now & then, I should be able to shoot & carry it for quite a while without any worries.

He was pretty excited about the project when he was finishing it up. He test fired it and and was just loving it. I believe that he will be wanting to display it at the next 2 or 3 gunshows, which will hopefully excite & convert some more to 10mm.

I'm hoping to get over and pick it up today and go directly to the range. :cowboy:

Oh yeah, there are a couple of changes to it other than the other posts. It does not have the EGW FBFS, because I couldn't find the one I had and was supposed to get to him, and he didn't want to wait around on it. I'll likely either find it or buy another and have him fit & install it at a later date. We also ended up with a 2-piece guide rod, & I'm thinking it was full-length. I'll have to remember and ask him why.

And (say it like Harry Caray), HOLY COW !! The trigger on it is something else!!! I thought it was about 3 to 3-1/2 #. It's 5#, but it sure doesn't feel like it!!!! Sweet & crisp. I can only imagine it'll get even better with some shooting. :vba0829:

We ended up with no front serrations on the slide, and no memory bump on the grip safety.

Sam

Edited by SHOOT1SAM

He was pretty excited about the project when he was finishing it up. He test fired it and and was just loving it.

Toldya!! :whistling:

Too much stuff to do to get ready for moose hunting; I couldn't get over yesterday to pick it up, and it's killin' me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam

Moose? Moooose??? Well the lil CCO is a good gun, but Moose? I don't know????? :wink: :biglaugh:

Did you get a moose?

More important.... Where's the danged report on that CCO? :popcorn:

Edited by Iggy

Well, I was finally able to pick up the CCO today.

Took it to the range (work just had to wait today) and put 49 reloads through it; one round simply would not chamber. I did have some problems that took me a while to figure out. It would not shoot consistently-I would have to bang the frame on the bench or squeeze the trigger 2-3 times to get it to fire the next round.

So I thought, "Maybe it's the reloads." I bought a box of American Eagle (talk about wimpy!) and had the same problem. During the time I was shooting these, I figured out that the trigger was not resetting-if I took my finger completely off of the trigger after each shot, it semed to solve the problem almost every time. However, I also figured out that I could pull the trigger forward after a shot and then it would fire.

I e-mailed my 'smith and explained what was going on. He said it was a somewhat common problem with tight custom guns and was probably about a 1/2 hour's more tuning on the trigger.

I want to make it clear that I am not dissatisfied. As all new guns need to be broken in a little, if this is the only hiccup I have, I'm going to be one really happy guy pretty soon.

BTW, it was very accurate.

Again, I think when the bugs are all worked out and it's shot in, it's going to be one sweet puppy!!!

Sam

Those little rascals take some getting use to. I found the first few rounds I fired, the recoil was sufficient that I was hitting the slide stop with my thumb and the slide was locking back.. A little adjustment in grip and a firm hold, and that went away.

EGW FPS slowed the slide a nanosecond and stronger mag springs moved new round up into line quicker to allow the slide to pick it up.

There's a lot happening pretty quick with that shorter slide and 10mm's.

Iggy's standard break in prescription is, "Shoot the sumbitch, clean it and shoot it some more!!"

Keep us posted on your progress.

PS, Did you get a moose?

Those little rascals take some getting use to. I found the first few rounds I fired, the recoil was sufficient that I was hitting the slide stop with my thumb and the slide was locking back.. A little adjustment in grip and a firm hold, and that went away.

EGW FPS slowed the slide a nanosecond and stronger mag springs moved new round up into line quicker to allow the slide to pick it up.

There's a lot happening pretty quick with that shorter slide and 10mm's.

Iggy's standard break in prescription is, "Shoot the sumbitch, clean it and shoot it some more!!"

Keep us posted on your progress.

PS, Did you get a moose?

Yep, got a cow moose with the 1086-no luck on my daughter's yet.

I may have bumped the slide stop once or twice while shooting it, but I don't think I'm the cause of the trigger refusing to reset.

Sam

Yeh, I may have stayed at a Holiday Inn or two, but trigger reset is out of my league.

Keep us posted on moose's and your new hand cannon.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and have enjoyed the wealth of information here. A question on the Caspian frame configuraton for this build. What ramp angle did you start with and did it need to be modified? I have two officer frames, both with .45 ramps. I would like to use one for a CCO 10mm if possible.

PTF

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and have enjoyed the wealth of information here. A question on the Caspian frame configuraton for this build. What ramp angle did you start with and did it need to be modified? I have two officer frames, both with .45 ramps. I would like to use one for a CCO 10mm if possible.

PTF

PTF,

Welcome to the gang!!

I want to say it was the Wilson ramp angle (?), but I can't say for sure. I took it over to Robert today and he filed & honed the trigger just a touch more. I'll be firing it again tomorrow, will report back to him, and to here, and I'll ask him about the ramp angle.

Sam