SoCali420Benz

AR Newbie needs help

I'm in the market for my first AR. Im thinking about getting a stag arms model 2L. Since im left handed I would like to have a left handed rifle for a change(no more hot brass down the shirt collar!).Since im new to AR's I just wanted to know if stag is a good choice? Do they make a good rifle? Or is there a better Manufacturer that's in the same price range? I live in California so from what i understand, for me to legally own an AR I need to have the standard Mag release removed and replaced with a Mag lock. I also need to have it shipped to me with the upper & lower Haves separated and stock removed. Stag arms is selling the model 2L for $960.00. But i half to buy it through a licensed dealer and there is only one dealer that i could find in my area who was willing to do it. Hes quoting me around $1,200.00 total for the same model 2L, including all the subsequent fees for Backround checks,rifle reassembly,Mag lock instalation,ect.. Does that sound like a fair price, or am i being ripped off? Also Im planning on puting an ACOG sight on it but since its a flat top AR with a standard post front sight i dont know if that front site will block my view through the ACOG.Does anyone know if it will work with the front sight or not? Can i use Picatinny Risers to fix the problam, or do i need to replace the front post sight with a gas block? thanks

Ive always wanted an AR. I cant wait to get some trigger time with it:flea:

I'm in the market for my first AR. Im thinking about getting a stag arms model 2L. Since im left handed I would like to have a left handed rifle for a change(no more hot brass down the shirt collar!).Since im new to AR's I just wanted to know if stag is a good choice? Do they make a good rifle? Or is there a better Manufacturer that's in the same price range? I live in California so from what i understand, for me to legally own an AR I need to have the standard Mag release removed and replaced with a Mag lock. I also need to have it shipped to me with the upper & lower Haves separated and stock removed. Stag arms is selling the model 2L for $960.00. But i half to buy it through a licensed dealer and there is only one dealer that i could find in my area who was willing to do it. Hes quoting me around $1,200.00 total for the same model 2L, including all the subsequent fees for Backround checks,rifle reassembly,Mag lock instalation,ect.. Does that sound like a fair price, or am i being ripped off? Also Im planning on puting an ACOG sight on it but since its a flat top AR with a standard post front sight i dont know if that front site will block my view through the ACOG.Does anyone know if it will work with the front sight or not? Can i use Picatinny Risers to fix the problam, or do i need to replace the front post sight with a gas block? thanks

Welcome. Stag makes an outstanding rifle and their lefty rifle is my favorite.

As far as the front sight post-don't worry about it. When you are using the ACOG and have both eyes open, you wont even see the front sight. It disappears. Strange, but it does.

I don't know anything about California rules, but we have a lot of guys from Cali here and they will be along son. Addax, one of our sponosors, and a Stag dealer is in California, and they can proably give you some good info as well.

:welcome: to the Armory! Gmountain said it all. Addax will be glad to help you.

TS

As a fellow southpaw, I also wanted a STAG ARMS left-handed model. If I place my order now, STAG said it will be about 6 months. There is a Model 6L available at a nearby store, but I have ruled that out...just not what I want. I have decided to go with a DPMS AP4 16" Carbine so I can get one now. I'm afraid if I wait for STAG to deliver on my order, I will risk the re-introduction of an AR ban.

I know I would be happy with either weapon, especially a dedicated left-hand model. But getting the DPMS model will force me to learn to shoot right-handed. =_

Southpaw shooters can comfortably shoot the RH Rifles, just make sure they have the brass deflector and you are good to go.

You can also install the Ambi Selector which is the best modification a Southpaw can do to a RH Rifle.

Southpaw shooters can comfortably shoot the RH Rifles, just make sure they have the brass deflector and you are good to go.

You can also install the Ambi Selector which is the best modification a Southpaw can do to a RH Rifle.

2 questions:

1) What exactly does the Ambi Selector do?

2) If I purchase a weapon that does not come with the brass deflector, can I buy an aftermarket deflector for it? Thinking DPMS Sportical.

2 questions:

1) What exactly does the Ambi Selector do?

Ambi selector allows you to place the Rifle in Fire and Safe position from both sides of the Lower Receiver, I have them installed on my most Rifles I use the most and awaiting 5) more hopefully will come soon.

2) If I purchase a weapon that does not come with the brass deflector, can I buy an aftermarket deflector for it? Thinking DPMS Sportical.

Yes you can, matter of fact TS has a link to a aftermarket brass deflector somewhere on the forum, I hope he cruises by here soon to post the link.

This might help understand the Ambi Selector Better.

Ambi Selector

Hmmm, $1200 for a rifle that normally costs $960. Take the FFL transfer fee (which varies dealer to dealer), add the mag catch assembly fee (which I'm not even sure what the hell a "mag catch" is), and add some taxes to the equasion and $960 very quickly can become $1200. Sounds about right to me.

As far as the ACOG is concerned, Gmountain is correct. The front sight post does not obscure the view through the optic. The only thing I've ever noticed is slight vignetting at the bottom of the sight picture.

Edited by Lucas_061287