pdog1517

AR15ARMORY LOAD DATA THREAD

CAUTION:USE THIS DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. As always - start low keep an eye out for signs of excessive pressures. AR15ARMORY.COM assumes no responsibility for information used here, all data is used at your risk. Reloading can be very rewarding if done properly, done wrong you risk your life and the lives of others. Exercise caution when developing a new load for YOUR FIREARM. What works in your firearm or 20 others may not work in one particular firearm. Be safe.

Pleas post :

Intended cartridge use

Firearm

Barrel length

Twist rate

Case manufacture

Powder and charge weight

Primer type and manufacture

Bullet weight and type

COL OR OAL

Temp. range tested at if applicable

Any other information that applies to your load such as intended use, ballistic information, etc.

Remember, use of the information in this thread is for informational purposes only and should be used only as a guide. Please use extreme caution while developing test loads for use in your firearm.

Edited by pdog1517

I'll start

Vmax Varmint round

AR15

24" Barrel

1/9 twist

LC Brass

25 grains H335

CCI 400 Small rifle primer

55 Grain Hornady Vmax ballistic tip

2.25" OAL

80* F

I developed this load for prairie dog hunting. It works very well out to 500 yards and can be used beyond, but you will be pushing it past it's real limits. You can alter the load's powder weight to 24.5 grains H335 which, in my barrel, gave slightly better accuracy but an effective range of 300 yards.

Edited by pdog1517

This has been my standard for AR plinking;

Various Manufacture brass all trimmed and worked the same

18 grains of H4138

55 grain FMJBT

OAL I cant remember but its the standard

Great clean low flash light load for blasting away.

Long range plinking

round works well in my Saiga-have yet to try it in my AR

16" barrell

1/9 twist

winchester brass

24.3gr H335

Federal Primers

62 gr Speer FMJBT

2.20" COL

This round has produced 2" five shot groups out of my Saiga at 200 yds. I feel sure it would work extremely well in my AR but I haven't got around to trying it. This rifle with WWB ammo would only do 2.5" groups at 100yds, so I found this load to be quite satisfactory for plinking. The penetration is impressive also, shot through a 4x4 (part of my target stand) and a 1/8" steel sign that was behind it at 150 yds, and was still kicking up clods of dirt that could be seen without a scope.

For plinking and three gun I use:

Mixed brass, trimmed to min length.

55gr FMJBT (Currently Remington Bulk) Varies with availability

20gr H4198

CCI SR Primers

COL 2.20

Barrel length 16"

Twist 1-9

Comments:

Haven't chronographed this load, but it's pretty mild. Good accuracy, clean, reliable function. Good economical loading. A pound of powder goes a long way!

For plinking and three gun I use:

Mixed brass, trimmed to min length.

55gr FMJBT (Currently Remington Bulk) Varies with availability

20gr H4198

CCI SR Primers

COL 2.20

Barrel length 16"

Twist 1-9

Comments:

Haven't chronographed this load, but it's pretty mild. Good accuracy, clean, reliable function. Good economical loading. A pound of powder goes a long way!

Always good to have a mild load for fun and training. Have you tried H335? I maytry this load with some 335 as I have 8+lbs needing attention.

Always good to have a mild load for fun and training. Have you tried H335? I maytry this load with some 335 as I have 8+lbs needing attention.

I bought a pound of 335 by mistake today so I will be trying it later too. Im interested in hearing any info on it.

I bought a pound of 335 by mistake today so I will be trying it later too. Im interested in hearing any info on it.

Mistake my ass, that is THE best 223 powder running. try up to 25.5 MAX under 55s, 25 works sweeet, or 26.5 under 55s.

I'll start

Vmax Varmint round

AR15

24" Barrel

1/9 twist

LC Brass

25 grains H335

2.25" OAL

80* F

I developed this load for prairie dog hunting. It works very well out to 500 yards and can be used beyond, but you will be pushing it past it's real limits. You can alter the load's powder weight to 24.5 grains H335 which, in my barrel, gave slightly better accuracy but an effective range of 300 yards.

Never tried it that hot. How did your AR like it? I use 55 grain V-max for wild pigs here in West Texas. It drops them like a hammer.

Vmax Varmint round

AR15

20" Barrel

1/9 twist

All .223 Brass

24.7 grains H335

2.25" OAL

I have three AR-15s all with the same barrels. This has been shooting around 1.5 at 300 yards. The wild hogs here in West Texas never hear it coming.

Vmax Varmint round

AR15

20" Barrel

1/9 twist

All .223 Brass

24.7 grains H335

2.25" OAL

I have three AR-15s all with the same barrels. This has been shooting around 1.5 at 300 yards. The wild hogs here in West Texas never hear it coming.

That's pretty cool. That's within a 1/10 of a grain the same loadout I came up with for the same bullet. :thumb:

That's pretty cool. That's within a 1/10 of a grain the same loadout I came up with for the same bullet. :thumb:

Looks like you need to do some wild pig hunting if you haven't been doing so. The meat is good and it does lower your food bill.

I have run into a lot of others that use the same load for their AR-15s. It's also good in the Mini-14 as well. I also do loads for my father who has a Mini-14. He's 74 years old and likes the Mini-14 over the AR-15. He says the AR is to much like something from Star Wars.

I just started loading .223, actually this is my first rifle reloading. I have been loading many pistol calibers for the last 15 years, so it was just little extra case prep. Since this was new to me, I started a little light and worked my way up. The Hornady book had 23.1 H335 as a max for a 55gr bullet. I put together 50 rds of several charges. I'm going to try these in all three of my guns to start: DPMS 16" carbine, DPMS 20" SS Bull and Rem 700 SPS Varmint.

General plinking round

16", 20", 26" barrels

1/9, 1/9, 1/12 twists

Mixed Mil and Comm. brass was trimmed to min length

H335, three loads so far, 22.8, 23.3 & 24.1gr

55 gr Win FMJ (but I have acquired many other similar bullets)

Win SR Primers (but I think I'll get some CCI's soon, heard the Winnie cups are soft)

2.21" COL

Looking at where others are at for H335, this is fairly conservative, and I will load up some more up to 25gr before I get to the range. I haven't been on the Armory for a while, glad I came back.

Thanks,

Steve

My favorite load:

Powder AA2230

Charge 25.7 gr.

Bullet Montana Gold

Type FMJ-BT

Weight 55 gr.

COAL 2.250"

Case Mixed

Chrono 3150 fps Avg

Rifle ADS-Alpha Basic (AR-15 Carbine w/A-3 Upper)

Barrel Chome Lined

Length 16.5"

This round leaves a single ragged hole at 25 yards (Indoor Range max distance) of less than 3/8" dia., shooting 5 round groups. Longer ranges are Sub-MOA, even from the Carbine barrel.