pdog1517

AR15ARMORY LOAD DATA THREAD

Ok I am new here but I have been reloading for 30 years now. But I have only been loading .223 for only a month. (I'm new to this round) How come no mention of IMR 4895? For my 22-250 it was the best performer to date. Also the few loads that I've put on paper were respectable for a stock AR. Has anyone else used this power?

20" barrel

1-9" twist

Winchester Brass

CCI primer

55 gr. V-Max

25.3 gr of IMR 4895

I've used the powder for .308 but not .223. Don't see why you couldn't though...whatever works AND is in stock :thumb:

I've got a handi-capped buddy in a wheel chair wants to go shooting but i'm worried the kick from a normal .223/5.56 will hurt his spine if he does much shooting.

what kind of load can be put together to still function in an AR but not have near the same recoil as a standard load?

I've got a handi-capped buddy in a wheel chair wants to go shooting but i'm worried the kick from a normal .223/5.56 will hurt his spine if he does much shooting.

what kind of load can be put together to still function in an AR but not have near the same recoil as a standard load?

My ar15a2 needs full power loads to cycle properly so be careful down loading.

but I would try 40 grain bullets and fill the buttstock with lead shot.

good luck and have fun!

What is the best bulk buy bullet for loading just got a AR for free so need to start loading up looking for targets/varmits.

What is the best bulk buy bullet for loading just got a AR for free so need to start loading up looking for targets/varmits.

Best combo target/varmint bullets I have found are Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady VMax's. Both can be had in 250ct boxes. Either one over a stout load of A2230 will work great.

If I buy in bulk, it's usually pulled mil-surp 62gr FMJ's for plinking and they're bought by the 1,000.

Best combo target/varmint bullets I have found are Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady VMax's. Both can be had in 250ct boxes. Either one over a stout load of A2230 will work great.

If I buy in bulk, it's usually pulled mil-surp 62gr FMJ's for plinking and they're bought by the 1,000.

Okay thanks for the information.

Okay thanks for the information.

First off :welcome: to the best board on the net for BRD.

The bullet choice for varmint/target is dead on. I use a lot of both of them but will also use the Sierra bullets also. VMAX seem to really shoot well across the board and are devastating on PD's in the 223 size.

Greg

Ok I am new here but I have been reloading for 30 years now. But I have only been loading .223 for only a month. (I'm new to this round) How come no mention of IMR 4895? For my 22-250 it was the best performer to date. Also the few loads that I've put on paper were respectable for a stock AR. Has anyone else used this power?

20" barrel

1-9" twist

Winchester Brass

CCI primer

55 gr. V-Max

25.3 gr of IMR 4895

I'm in the process of testing this powder mainly due to shared duty for different rounds. started my loads at 25.5g and loaded 50 at 26.0 lightly compressed. the max loads chonographed at 2606 to 2686 fps with no overpressure signs. my chamber is 5.56 and an 11.5" barrel.

I have been assured the velocity is dead on for load data. will test for accuracy when range time permitts

My new favorite heavy load

Barrel 18" Lilja 1X8

.223Wylde chamber

BHA Match Brass

75gr Hornady BTHP AMP

Federal 205

22.5gr IMR XBR 8208

COAL: 2.235"

2580FPS

fired a 100yard 3-round .220" (CTC) group

My new favorite heavy load

Barrel 18" Lilja 1X8

.223Wylde chamber

BHA Match Brass

75gr Hornady BTHP AMP

Federal 205

22.5gr IMR XBR 8208

COAL: 2.235"

2580FPS

fired a 100yard 3-round .220" (CTC) group

Nice shooting and :welcome: to the best board on the net for BRD. You are going to post some pics right? Right?

Greg

Here is one with a HUGE jerk on my end.

AR1545FTLBS.jpg

Stock CAR 16" barrel. Nothing special with an A2 upper.

Edited by GLShooter

Nice shooting and :welcome: to the best board on the net for BRD. You are going to post some pics right? Right?

Greg

Here is one with a HUGE jerk on my end.

AR1545FTLBS.jpg

Stock CAR 16" barrel. Nothing special with an A2 upper.

I wish I knew how to add pictures!

just purchased a 20'' dpms upper # BA-A3AS

so right away i began working up a load with 69gr nosler bthp

try as i did i could not get H335 to perform as so many have ,....so what ....i really did not have that much faith in that powder any way.

at 100 yd this gun likes 25.5 gr of Varget, Remington cases, Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers

COL of 2.325

AR15002.jpg

AR15001.jpg

Edited by cataway

AR 15 in 7.62X39

hunting&target

@100yd

20'' barrel

123 gr V-MAX bullet #3142 (propitiatory from Graf and son)

winchester brass

31.5 gr H335 powder

Federal large rifle primers

COL 2.330

9-21-2007LS028.jpg

all 5 shots would of been together but i felt the need to adjust the scope after 3 shots to hit the sticker

Edited by cataway

So being new to reloading and holy moly and overload of information coming in and going out. I read lots of reviews on different products so on and so forth however I'm still in the dark about a lot of things. Looks like I will not be reloading as soon as I thought....I want to reload 22-250 and have no idea where to start. I'll lay out my setup and if anyone would like to chime in please feel free. Currently I have a range setup at 100 yard increments out to 400, hopefully 600 next summer. Now I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint, this sports a 26" barrel with a 1 in 14 twist. The best I have ever shot was a .385 ctc from black hills 50 or 55 grain. However even with cheap remington ammo I can hit a 5" spinner steel target at 400 yards all day long. I'm looking for a good accurate load that is capable of taking game up to the size of coyote at these distances. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I'm so lost on bullets, brass, powders and even primers...I have a cheap book just for this caliber explaining these things however I don't know the differences. Should I just quit taking the cheap route and buy a big book for all loads? I apologize for the noob questions guys but really don't feel like destroying my rifle or myself. Basically just looking for a load to CONSIDER on where to start at....Thanks in advance.