pdog1517

AR15ARMORY LOAD DATA THREAD

So being new to reloading and holy moly and overload of information coming in and going out. I read lots of reviews on different products so on and so forth however I'm still in the dark about a lot of things. Looks like I will not be reloading as soon as I thought....I want to reload 22-250 and have no idea where to start. I'll lay out my setup and if anyone would like to chime in please feel free. Currently I have a range setup at 100 yard increments out to 400, hopefully 600 next summer. Now I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint, this sports a 26" barrel with a 1 in 14 twist. The best I have ever shot was a .385 ctc from black hills 50 or 55 grain. However even with cheap remington ammo I can hit a 5" spinner steel target at 400 yards all day long. I'm looking for a good accurate load that is capable of taking game up to the size of coyote at these distances. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I'm so lost on bullets, brass, powders and even primers...I have a cheap book just for this caliber explaining these things however I don't know the differences. Should I just quit taking the cheap route and buy a big book for all loads? I apologize for the noob questions guys but really don't feel like destroying my rifle or myself. Basically just looking for a load to CONSIDER on where to start at....Thanks in advance.

Try 38 grains of H380 with 50 or 55 grain pills. It's an old load that will shoot lights out in most every 22-250 known to man. Velocities will be around 3500 fps, but it can be pushed up to around 3700. It's nowhere near a max load, just checked and that's Hodgdons start load for that powder with bullets from 40gr up to 55gr.

Try 38 grains of H380 with 50 or 55 grain pills. It's an old load that will shoot lights out in most every 22-250 known to man. Velocities will be around 3500 fps, but it can be pushed up to around 3700. It's nowhere near a max load, just checked and that's Hodgdons start load for that powder with bullets from 40gr up to 55gr.

Thank you for the reply.

i thought this was the AR15ARMORY LOAD DATA THREAD, Post your favorite loads here

i thought this was the AR15ARMORY LOAD DATA THREAD, Post your favorite loads here

It is however I had asked if anyone had developed a load for 22-250 and instead of starting a new thread and having it moved I asked here instead. My apologies.

That is one of my favorite loads :wink:

3 loads I've been running the absolute shat out of lately.

Armscor 55gr FMJBT

Mixed 223 brass

CCI450 primers

26gr W748

COAL 2.250"

Armscor 62gr FMJBT

Mixed 223 brass

25.5gr W748

CCI450 primers

COAL 2.255

Hornady 75gr BTHP

LC brass

24.5gr W748

CCI 450 primers

COAL 2.255

Intended cartridge use .............. varmint hunting

Firearm.......................................DPMS AR15

Barrel length................................20'' HB

Twist rate.....................................1 in 9

Case manufacture.......................... Rem

Powder and charge weight ........... R15 24.5gr

Primer type and manufacture........ Fed 205

Bullet weight and type..................60 gr nosler ballistic tp #34992

COL OR OAL....................................COL is 2.331

field notes........... sub MOA in 3 different guns

.223 Remington

Larue 16" barrel 1:8 twist

77 gr Sierra HPBT

23.4 gr H335

Lake city 09

CCI small rifle

COAL 2.260

From 50 yards using aimpoint ML3 w/ 3x magnifier rifle resting on top of fence post

From standing position. 1/2" group, this should work just fine for me for plinking and Coyotes

.223 Remington

Prvi brass

M and A 18" BB 1:8 twist

Hornady 52 gr BTHP Match

25.5 gr AA 2460

COAL 2.220

CCI 450 small rifle primers

Average FPS (6 shot average) 3151 fps. Low: 3115 fps High: 3199 fps

best group at 100 yds. .3521 with one flyer

(note. Although shooter noted each shot, another shooter shot 2 rounds into the group. Will update when CLEAN group shot again)

.223 Remington

Prvi brass

M and A 18" BB 1:8 twist

Sierra 77gr BTHP Matchking

22.0 gr. H335

COAL 2.260

CCI 450 small rifle primers

Average FPS (6 shot average)2449 fps. Low: 2427 fps High: 2559 fps\

Best group .647 with 1 flyer.

TO ANY FORUM USERS REGARDING THIS AND ANY THREAD DISCUSSING RELOADING AND CARTRIDGE DEVELOPMENT.

ANY AND ALL LOADING DATA POSTED ON THIS BOARD OR SUGGESTIONS FOR LOADING DATA SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ONLY SUGGESTIONS.

THE SAFETY OF YOURSELF AND THOSE AROUND YOU REST SOLELY ON THE END USER. DATA POSTED, OR SUGGESTED,SHOULD BE EVALUATED AND, WHERE POSSIBLE, COMPARED TO RECOGNIZED MANUFACTURERS AND SUPPLIERS IN THE FIELD.

DATA ON NON-STANDARD CARTRIDGES OR EXPERIMENTAL ACTIVITIES SHOULD BE USED WITH CAUTION.

GREG

Looks like you need to do some wild pig hunting if you haven't been doing so. The meat is good and it does lower your food bill.

I have run into a lot of others that use the same load for their AR-15s. It's also good in the Mini-14 as well. I also do loads for my father who has a Mini-14. He's 74 years old and likes the Mini-14 over the AR-15. He says the AR is to much like something from Star Wars.

LOL star wars is what --35 years old now ?

Has anyone tried Alliants' powder specifically for AR's?

I've been wondering about that one as well.

anyone have any load data using h332 for 62gr. fmj heads running out of rl-15 and varget but have 1 lb of this sitting in the safe.

Has anyone made up a load for Nosler "Bonded Performance" 64 grain?

"