AR15Armory.com

FLGR or not in 1911?

hoser

I have a 10mm 1911 that has one installed already but I'd prefer to NOT have one, but thought I'd ask before I have it removed. Do you recommend FLGR's in 10mm 1911's or are the not really necessary? Normally, I don't like them, but have been told they're a good idea for 10mm. Fact or myth?

Please excuse my ignorance and tell me what a FLRG is.

Disregard, someone later on spelled it out. Thanks.

Edited by Retcop

I have one in my springer and despise the thing. (it's a 45). Damn 2 piece POS and it requires an extra tool to disassemble. The 1911 was designed to disassemble completely with no tools at all. When I got the springer, the FLGR's were first getting really popular and there was a bunch of hype on the issue. Having had one now for many years, I have learned to hate them. If it were easier to find a stainless plug, I would have already replaced it. I may just go with a blue plug and say fuzz it.

I have one in my springer and despise the thing. (it's a 45). Damn 2 piece POS and it requires an extra tool to disassemble. The 1911 was designed to disassemble completely with no tools at all. When I got the springer, the FLGR's were first getting really popular and there was a bunch of hype on the issue. Having had one now for many years, I have learned to hate them. If it were easier to find a stainless plug, I would have already replaced it. I may just go with a blue plug and say fuzz it.

Yes 2 piece is POS, but one piece is totally different. You can just pull slide back and remove the pin and slide the top end off. From there it's a piece of cake. To reassemble just do normal reassembly, then reinstall slide on frame and put the pin in the frame thru barrel link.

But 2 piece is a PIA because of the extra tool, often wondered if it really helps with accuracy. My guess is no.

Neither Les Baer nor Ed Brown will use FLGR. Its a gimmick and serves no purpose. My $3500 custom will shoot groups just over 1" at 50 yards with the standard GI plug. If you want to run one thats cool, just don't expect it to turn your gun into a precision lead launcher. Properly hand fitting the barrel to the slide, the bushing to the barrel, slide to frame and hammer to sear are proven methods to enhance accuracy. All else is window dressing.

Ed Brown sells stainless plugs among others.

• 2 years later...