AR15Armory.com

Coyote Calling

My wifes gets mad as heck when I walk around the house with my calls. I have the kids doing the same thing Kenny. She really hates the rabbit squaller makes the lil dog go crazy. Kids like the Turkey call the best. I like the elk bugler.

For Coyotes, I use a primos jackrabbit call and I just got some Reece calls in. I really like the double enclosed reed one. Circle cottontail is a good one too. Next time I go out I am gonna take my quail call and see if I can make some bird distress calls with it. I been trying to get a bobcat this year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter just picked me up a pretty neat mouth call. this one. She found it in a discount bin at a local fun store for $3.00! Good price for what it is. I have only played with it for a few minutes but it is simple to produce realistic howls and yips.

I have been practing quite a bit with my 'ki-yi' call and with a little more practice I will be able to get some pretty shrill yips and distress sounds with it as well.

Now all I need to do is get a red filter for my spotlight and get out after them! I am looking forward to trying night hunting. We have always gone out for the first and last couple of hours of daylight.

Take a old hen out of the coop...little feed with you....edge of clearing...drop off the hen...scatter the feed....wait for the yotes to come...about 30 minutes or so :thumb: Works 95% of the time. Usually get two or three yotes easy :)

That is a pretty good idea, baiting them in that way. My buddy was looking at the vibrating stuffed animal looking things. That looked like it would grab their attention as well. Similar to this one.

kenny, i have used the red light for years it works good. i read a couple years back in i think sportsafield that blue worked better. i tried it, and i do believe that it does give me a little more distance than the red. red does work though. full moon tomorrow, to bad our snow is about gone wouldn't need a light.

I've heard good things about the quiver critter. Some of the guys that have used it says it does a great job of keeping the attention off of you and the coyote will pretty much stay glued to the decoy. I'm thinking with that and a remote e-caller you could go pretty undetected. I'd like to hear from someone that uses this method.

I've heard good things about the quiver critter. Some of the guys that have used it says it does a great job of keeping the attention off of you and the coyote will pretty much stay glued to the decoy. I'm thinking with that and a remote e-caller you could go pretty undetected. I'd like to hear from someone that uses this method.

He bought one yesterday, i can't wait to see how it works out.

On a side note: the Remington Coyote howler with flextone technology that my daughter picked up for me is a piece of crap. It sounds like a Canadian Goose with a sore throat.

I will stick with my Primos calls for now. :thumb:

kenny, i have used the red light for years it works good. i read a couple years back in i think sportsafield that blue worked better. i tried it, and i do believe that it does give me a little more distance than the red. red does work though. full moon tomorrow, to bad our snow is about gone wouldn't need a light.

I have found a kit for my spotlight that includes multi colored lenses that I am considering buying. I realy need to update my light though, it is old and only holds a charge for about an hour.

He bought one yesterday, i can't wait to see how it works out.

On a side note: the Remington Coyote howler with flextone technology that my daughter picked up for me is a piece of crap. It sounds like a Canadian Goose with a sore throat.

I will stick with my Primos calls for now. :thumb:

How are the Primos call videos? Are they decent instructions? I've been thinking about getting the Primos master pak, with the DVD and Hot dog and Ki-Yi call. Just to help get the right calls down with the added instructions.

How are the Primos call videos? Are they decent instructions? I've been thinking about getting the Primos master pak, with the DVD and Hot dog and Ki-Yi call. Just to help get the right calls down with the added instructions.

Buy it, you will not be dissappointed at all. :thumb:

Thats what I bought a couple of years ago. I found that it was a good way to get started calling. The video's that Primos offer is with Randy Anderson. That guy is flat out amazing when it comes to calling yote's. Awesome dvd. Wait until you see some of the running shots they take at 2 and 300 yards, very cool.

I lost my 'ki-yi' and recently replaced it.

The 'hot dog' call will realy reach out with the volume. The 'ki-yi' is great for areas where the yote's are typicaly closer to your set up.

With enough practice the 'ki-yi' can make rabbit and fawn distress sounds as well but I just use mine for coyote sounds. I have a fawn distress bleat and cottontail distress, also from Primos that I like very much.

I have the mini cd that came with my 'ki-yi' and have been listening to it off and on in the evenings practicing as much as my wife will allow me to. The noise is driving her nuts. Heck last Sunday I gave her a handfull of money and told all the females in our house to go shopping or get their hair done, just to get them out of the house. Then my boy's and I sat in the living room listening to the cd and all 3 of us were howling,yipping and barking! I bet the neighbors think were nuts. :laugh:

furby would work if they wouldnt talk

I have actualy thought of using a stuffed animal somehow and thats when my buddy got the Critter Quiver.

I figure anything that would distract them from looking at us would work. They should lock onto it with their eyes and when they try to circle downwind take your shot.

i use a coyote decoy made by flambue(think its spelled wrong). i went to walmart and bought a little battery operated stuffed toy for 11.00 bucks. its white and brown and vibrates . i taped it to the mouth of the decoy and when i turn the toy on the tail of the decoy even shakes.