Sign in to follow this  
GaugedFreak

Ear plugs and hunting

Does anyone use ear plugs while hunting, especially predator hunting like coyote, etc? I have sensitive hearing, and don't care for loud noises without ear protection. Obviously at a range it's no big deal, but something about not being able to hear whats going on around you doesn't seem like a great idea either.

I know they make some high dollar amplifier/ear protection type plugs, but I don't have $1000 to spend on the good stuff. Has anyone had any luck with less expensive models, or have any recommendations for anything else?

The cheap muffs are often bulky and make it difficult to get a good cheek weld. I use plugs that are attached by a cord. One ear plug goes in and the other dangles over my shoulder. It's no biggie to put it in once you have company show.

Thanks, I've definitely considered the corded style plugs.. Though, night hunting wouldn't leave you a lot of time to try to install plugs and get a shot. Would probably work fine during the day though.

Depends on your night time hunting technique, I guess. We can have a lighter in the back of the truck here in CA and can see them coming a long way off.

Thats true, fields are a little easier then wooded to see from a distance.

I tried the bass pro version of the Walkers game in amplifies. Not the muff type but the over the ear type and they sucked. I could hear the interstate a mile away very well but could not hear the squirrel in the dry leaves 10 feet away.

I use theseHearing Pro

Have had pretty good luck with them. Make sure you practice with them on though. They did mess up my cheek weld a little. Got some range time using them and now not a factor.

ever notice at the range you shoot 3 rounds and your ears are ringing,hunting with no protection shoot 10 rounds and doesn't seam to bother you.at least for me.it's like you block it out.

ever notice at the range you shoot 3 rounds and your ears are ringing,hunting with no protection shoot 10 rounds and doesn't seam to bother you.at least for me.it's like you block it out.

i was gonna make the same comment. i've never noticed my ears ringing after shooting at a critter.

in an enclosed area, multiple rounds could start hurting... I use AAC to solve that problem-- I'd rather not wear hearing protection out in the woods as I want to hear everything going on, including other people that I may encounter.

My buddy uses the Walkers Game Ear and has had good luck with them. If I remember correctly he paid around $300 for them. They allow him to hear noises much better then with his ears alone and they reduce muzzle blast to a more tolerable level.

+1 on the cords. Hearing is half the battle in hunting and it doesn't take that much longer to put one in but if you don't have the time you can simply leave it out if you have too.

Tj

Tactical6 by peltor are great amplifying muffs and can be had for under $80. You can hear stuff coming from a long way off and still be protected when shooting. Small enough not to get in the way.

I've actually been looking at the Tact 6 muffs. I figure I could give them a shot and if I don't like them for hunting just use them at the range, etc. Otherwise, I'll probably just stick with the corded models which I've used a lot. Thanks everyone.

Edited by GaugedFreak

i was gonna make the same comment. i've never noticed my ears ringing after shooting at a critter.

The only time I have had my ears ring from hunting is when I was standing at the bottom of a cliff and fired the rifle. could only hear ringing for like 20 minutes.

I picked up a set of these, and the have worked pretty well deer hunting this last year.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true