pdog1517

Reloading .223/5.56

Very good instruction. I am thinking of reloading but quite confused on the process. It is a very good first step for me to start.

Very good instruction. I am thinking of reloading but quite confused on the process. It is a very good first step for me to start.

Its very easy once you get it down. Just alot of little things that have to be perfect.

Thats why we have a reloading section. Ask away. Between myself, Pdog517 and TJ, we patrol this place heavy so ask away.

This is awesome thanks for the time and effort put into this.

Step 8- Seating the bullet

COL is another step that requires extreme care. Refer to your manual for COL based on bullet weight and style. Seating the bullets to deep into cases or long/ jammed into the rifling can cause high, unsafe pressure levels. Crimping can be acomplished at this point, some dies have the crimp built in while others use a seperate die to achieve the desired crimp.

IMAG0034-1.jpg

IMAG0035-1.jpg

Check your COL with calipers, and adjust the die as needed.

IMAG0036-1.jpg

The Finished product

IMAG0037-1.jpg

Box em or bag em. Label all containers with bullet style and weight, powder and charge weight, primer, case, COL, load date, and any other info that pertains to each specific load.

Remember to be safe. Wear eye protection during all reloading work. Start new loads low and work em up.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the results. :flea:

Very helpful

I am waiting on my dies to get here to start reloading .223. So I have a Q,, What is swaging and why is it needed?

"Swaging" is to remove the crimp from the primer pocket on Military brass. The RCBS set-up is one of the best and easiest I've used. It's a good investment for the $15, sooner or later you'll need it.

Excellent post! :thumb:

I appreciate the time and effort! :thumb:

One thing, if you can.

Can you explain the procedure for setting the correct depth for the seating die, and the proper adjustment for the crimp. Seeing as how both of these processes take place simultaneously when using the bullet seating die, I could use a refresher.

TIA,

louie

• Like 1

I use about 4gallons of water and put 4 boxes of sure jell in it ,decap my brass .Put the brass in a net bag and than in a 5 gal.bucket pure the water and sure jell mix over he brass let sit about 15 min. Shake around alitte and wash off the bass with water and dry it,and it only takes about 2 hour of tumbling to be clean.

G

This is great as I am starting to reload myself (my own rounds, that is). I'm doing .223,.308, and hopefully soon 6.8 spl in the rifles. 45 acp, 38spl/357 mag, and 9mm in the hand guns (wow, I just noticed I have some really uncommon ammo requirements). :laugh:

Anyways several questions:

1) I was told that you probably shouldn't re-size your case (rifle rounds) until after firing 2-3 times, because it will then be stretched as far as it ever will - T/F?

2) How important is resizing for hand guns?

3) How important is crimping for handguns v. rifle rounds?

4) What is the difference between roll and factory crimp?

5) what are good clues/signs of overcharging your rounds?

My main goal is to reload to save money, and have ammo when I need it, not really trying to tweak my groups to near perfection. :unsure: :unsure: .....................yet.

Thanks for any input! :) :flea:

Edited by M-60A1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the informative post.

IIRC, this round was designed around IMR 3031, a lot of people feel it's the best powder for the AR-15. At least the gas-impingement units anyway...do you find the H335 performs better for you? I think the military currently uses H335, but what do they know? lol But if you're using ball powder, you might find magnum primers will give you better results. Well, if you can find any.

Edited by tippet

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to make it.

Thanks for this. Clears up some of my questions.

I loaded my first 50 rds last week, and this post helped immensely. I didn't have my laptop with me, but I had looked thru this enough times to feel like I was watching it being done. Thanks so much.

Smitty

:UT:

Step 8- Seating the bullet

COL is another step that requires extreme care. Refer to your manual for COL based on bullet weight and style. Seating the bullets to deep into cases or long/ jammed into the rifling can cause high, unsafe pressure levels. Crimping can be acomplished at this point, some dies have the crimp built in while others use a seperate die to achieve the desired crimp.

IMAG0034-1.jpg

IMAG0035-1.jpg

Check your COL with calipers, and adjust the die as needed.

IMAG0036-1.jpg

The Finished product

IMAG0037-1.jpg

Box em or bag em. Label all containers with bullet style and weight, powder and charge weight, primer, case, COL, load date, and any other info that pertains to each specific load.

Remember to be safe. Wear eye protection during all reloading work. Start new loads low and work em up.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the results. :flea:

How well does your Media mixture clean the inside of the brass? :flea:

Thx 4 the info. I'll be gathering supplies.

me and a friend have been thinking about getting into reloading but the process seemed quite complex. after we saw this we're pretty phsyced to get started. thanks pdog